Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 11:20 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Review Your Ski in the Skis Database

Check out http://www.proskicoach.com/skis and find your model. If you haven't written your review of the ski, or given it a rating, it will take you 2 seconds and will help everyone get an idea of what the ski is like. While you're there you can add the ski to your ski log!

http://www.proskicoach.com/skis

#2 Mon, Jan 18, 2010 12:02 AM

38orbusted
Sorry, this user's posts have been removed

#3 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 6:03 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

Re: Review Your Ski in the Skis Database

Um what if my ski is like, well, let see OLD! 1990 69" HO Turbo Still in perfect conditon with HO High rap Bindings. It was my uncles ski when he was my age

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#4 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 4:03 PM

tjo

The old HO Turbo...we had one of those in my family growing up!  Check out www.ski-it-again.com, and look at upgrading your ski with a more current model.  You can save a lot of money going used and the new technology is amazing.

Travis Ogden

#5 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 7:46 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

We're supporting the skis made this century in the database. We can add older models as well if you'd like to add it for use in your ski log. Let me know.

But, as tjo suggested... A few hundred bucks on ski it again can get you something that will definitely increase your fun factor, on a budget.

#6 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:31 AM

vrod69

Thanks Guys. I would agree on what you have to say. I have been looking for a new one just was waiting to get it fugured out a little bit before i spent the extra money. since last season was our first and we spent a lot getting set up , and having the old skis already helped.

Bj

#7 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 2:40 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Totally Cool vrod. You've got to start somewhere. When I started out it was on a 1976 O'Brien Mach 1. Still got it! The technology has come a longggggggggggggggg way though.

#8 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 3:41 PM

vrod69

well if you think I should upgrade then I will start really looking now. This way I can come up with a new ski before season starts. Thanks

Bj

#9 Wed, Mar 31, 2010 6:42 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

tjo wrote:

The old HO Turbo...we had one of those in my family growing up!  Check out www.ski-it-again.com, and look at upgrading your ski with a more current model.  You can save a lot of money going used and the new technology is amazing.

that's the truth!
when I got back into skiing a few seasons ago I was riding my 95 Connelly Rocket that I got when I was 14 or 15, needless to say I had "outgrown" it, didn't take more than 1 set on it in the spring to realize I had to get something newer, on a budget...   Both the length of the ski and the binders were built for a 16 year old..  It was in MINT condition, so were the bindings so I sold it for a C note and picked up a used CDX1 with double animals off SIA for $180 shipped..  $80 and I was back in the sport!

then I just had to go out and get new gloves, an EZ-Slalom course, ropes & of course a new to me '99 Malibu Sporty over the last couple years...

oh man I love this sport

#10 Tue, Jul 13, 2010 2:24 AM

dhanover
Skis At: Trophy Lakes, SC

Why isn't the razor ski in the archive for skis?  I know it is new and it should be added because i know 3 people are demoing it at Trophy Lakes and absolutely love it.

Boiler Up

#11 Thu, Jul 15, 2010 3:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

#12 Tue, Oct 5, 2010 10:56 PM

kondorpilot

Hi folks, just registered with this excellent site.

Looking for some info. on a new slalom ski and went into the Review section to read up on some.

Unfortunately I can only access the Ratings Scores and not any of the text on actual Written Reviews submitted from site members.

Can anyone give me some direction on how to access the info please.

Thanks

#13 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 2:35 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

kondorpilot wrote:

Hi folks, just registered with this excellent site.

Looking for some info. on a new slalom ski and went into the Review section to read up on some.

Unfortunately I can only access the Ratings Scores and not any of the text on actual Written Reviews submitted from site members.

Can anyone give me some direction on how to access the info please.

Thanks

Welcome bro!!

umm what ski(s) are you looking at? i know not all the skis on there have written review (yet) but if its like computer issues.. i'd email wade, i know they come up for me on my comput.. also, another way to review skis is just searching the ski in the forum in that nice lil search bar! i cant name a slalom ski that hasn't been talked about in the forum.. you'd probably find a lot (if not more) info on a ski there! good luck! Hope you enjoy the site! i kn i've been addicted 4 about a year...

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#14 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 3:20 PM

kondorpilot

Plotz, thanks for you post. I've managed to get some of the info required using, the search facility,just thought there would be more detailed and direct info grouped together in the Review Database. I've tried a few different PC's so I don't think its that error although I can't rule out user error!.
The skis I think I am interested in are perhaps Connelly HP, Concept and FX1 with Stokers or  Radar, Theory or Senate with a suitable Radar binding

I skied for 2/3 years in the 1980's with a 1985 Kidder Tour Line Graphite which was mis sold to me based on my low skill level at the time which was basic free skiing at whatever speed the driver decided.

Returned 3 months ago after a break of 25 years and thoroughly enjoying it. I still have the enthusiasm, ambition and desire to progress my skiing and currently learning the course with a PB of 3 at 26. My wake crossings from 1-2, 3-4 etc RFF, are poor and I'm getting pulled off edge due to bent arms and muscling through, so always short and unable to consistently reach 2,4,6.

I know that my ski is old tech and my coach reckons itsalso holding me back, bogging down at 26 which is much less than it was designed to perform at. I'm also resorting to muscling myself off edge on the wake, a survival instinct which usually results in me doing OTF acrobatics in an attempt to get wide (my best being a treble forward tumble!) Also my medium sized binding is too tight with the wrap holding my right foot and RTP releasing in falls which means I am always nursing a right ankle injury

I don't want to make the mistake again of buying a ski that is too advanced, designed to perform at levels I am never likely to reach and prevent me getting the basics right, enjoying myself and progressing up the speed and maybe even down the line, if/when I get to 34. Also don't want to go too basic or wide and hamper my progress and any potential that I may have lurking, without maybe having to buy another new ski too soon.

So any advice from you pro's out there? I,m happy to spend the money if the products the right one for me and assisting my progress and enjoyment. I am based in Scotland and have no local facility to demo new skis other than through the good will of friends, loans which have been limited to a 2010 Connelly HP 68 (nice ride at 26 but perhaps too basic?) 2005 Connelly Concept 68 ( at 26 obviously well below its design spec. it naturally felt heavier than HP and binding was too small to allow me get my back foot forward enough in the RTP for my liking which lead to poor stability)

To summarise then
Ski and Binding recommendations ( I know this is subjective but I need a guide) please to suit

Male 48 years, 200 lbs, usa shoe size 11.5
Skiing at 26mph full length line with a PB of 3 at 26 ( wow I hear you say!)
looking to improve general basic technique, weak side, wake crossings and keep on a good edge and looking (in my dreams) to eventually get throught the course at 34 with as short as line as possible

Many thanks

#15 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 5:24 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Contact Scott at Craig Cohoon for advice and arrange a buy and try. You buy it, you try it and if iyou like it you keep it, or if if it is not for you, you send it back with no marks or damage and get a refund. At this time of year you should be able to bag a good deal.

I did this three times, before ending up on the right ski for me. OK, cost me a few quid in post, but I got the right ski. Best option would be to buy say 3 skis and send 2 (or even 3) back.

http://www.craigcohoononline.co.uk/

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#16 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 5:50 PM

kondorpilot

Thanks Colin, I might give them a phone at some point but don't fancy the idea of getting stuck with the expense of buying mail order skis outright then having to quibble over alleged damage if returned. Been there done that with online purchases before and not likely to repeat it. Also Craigs stock according to his website is  stuck with old 2009 models as far as Radar skis go. Perhaps I will go down to see them come Spring if I have to. Many thanks again for your suggestion.

#17 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 9:26 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

kindorpilot check out these forums:

4 ski's:
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1130
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1914

4 bindings - (i posted this and all they guys really helped me out.. ended up finding a killer deal on some rs1's smile but the guys here talked a lot about other bindings too)
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1348
rtp vs binding -
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1408
Ho bindings -
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1814

also, if your goal is to b skiin up to 34mph, and you dont want a beginner ski (obviously), i'd look into the intermediate skis i've heard great things about the senate/senate c. i ski on an annex but not sure how great that would b at 26/28/30 mph.. also, i've hear the HO Triumpth is and amazing intermediate ski.. look into it. smile

-plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Wed, Oct 6, 2010 9:26 PM)

#18 Wed, Oct 6, 2010 10:16 PM

kondorpilot

Plotz, Many thanks for the links.
I certainly don't think I'm anywhere near the Annexe but the Senate/ Senate C is of interest. The only problem, as you have identified, is getting it through the speeds up to 30 mph where it starts to perform.
I've got all winter to work on this decision so hopefully by the start of next season I'll be properly kitted. I'll keep tuned to the forum for ideas and suggestions.
Many thanks again.

#19 Thu, Oct 7, 2010 2:06 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

personally man, and this is just an educated gues.. i THINK you could build speed with those skis.. one of them is better at slow speeds then the other.. (cant remember off the top of my head as to which one) good luck!! i'd also look into the HO Triumpth you can through radar bindings on it easlily if needed.. but i'm sure that or one of the senates would build you up and get you progressing with no sweat.. well... maybe a lil wink

#20 Thu, Oct 7, 2010 1:47 PM

kondorpilot

Thanks Plotz, I PM'd Chris Rossi and he is of the same opinion, so thanks to both of you. I'll look to demo if I can early next spring.

Board footer