Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 5:38 AM

Wakes

Senate and Senate-C

I want to buy my dad (who is in his 50's) a ski for Christmas to try and keep him interested in the sport. I have an MPD w/ double RS-1's and have read numerous good things about the Senate. I know the C is a little lighter, so it will ride a little higher in the water, which will make it a little faster but I am interested in knowing how much better is the Senate-C than the Senate, really? I don't want to be cheap but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily - I want to get him what is best for him. He used to be a really good skier, but up until this past season he hadn't been on the ski much in the previous few years. So as a skier what kind of differences will be felt with both skis and which would you recommend I order him? He ski's in the 34MPH sometimes he bumps it up to 36. Open water and he is very old school - he puts weight on the rear foot in turns.

I am also open to suggestions of other skis. What I am looking for is something pretty forgiving and easy to ride without getting a "beginner" ski or an overly shaped ski.

Edit: Also, did the Senate and Senate C have the same graphics in 08 as shown here: http://www.proskicoach.com/skis/Radar/Senate%20C/2008 and here http://www.proskicoach.com/skis/Radar/Senate/2008.

Thanks!

Last edited by Wakes (Sat, Oct 10, 2009 6:03 AM)

#2 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 7:12 AM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Senate and Senate-C

The very small weight difference alone will not make the Senate-C "ride higher" when actually being skied on.   If your Dad weighs 170 lbs (for example) and the difference in weight between the Senate vs. the Senate-C is 3 lbs (A guess, probably way high), we're only talking about a difference of ~0.0175% between the two skis.  Shape, tunnel configuration, and bevel differences between two skis might make one ride higher than the other, but not that tiny difference in weight.  However, the carbon layup of the C probably makes it a more responsive ski overall.

If it was a gift I was giving my dad I'd splurge the small amount extra for the Senate-C.  He's your dad, you love him, and he deserves it.

TW
(PS: I think the Senate model is a great ski for many different styles - when I skied on it I was very impressed.)

#3 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 12:50 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I totally believe the Sen. C is the best 34 mph ski out there. I'm waiting for an INT. approved version!

But, if he is Not in the course, there will Not be any practical or relative difference between the 2 ski's. In fact, it's possible that being a damper ride, the reg. Sen. might be a better option for the varied conditions of open water and public waters.

The $$$ saved, could go towards some more "Shiny stuff" from Santa! i.e. new vest, gloves, handle, or how about a nice heater top? -everyone needs one of those to extend both ends of the season!!!

As TW said; "your Dad is worth it"...  -Absolutely! I wish I still had the opportunity to be on the water with mine...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 3:06 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

I agree.  If you are looking to get your Dad back in the course, I would go with the Senate C.  If he will be mainly freeskiing, the Senate will be the better choice.

#5 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 4:27 AM

Wakes

Cool, thanks guys.

Last edited by Wakes (Sun, Oct 11, 2009 4:27 AM)

#6 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 11:03 AM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Wakes, from one who is 50, I have been riding the Senate all year. Will probably change to the Senate-C next season since we ski the course 90% of the time. As others have said, I don't believe you can go wrong..

#7 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 5:10 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

+1...just turned 42 (but sometimes feels like 50), and been on Senate all year (mostly open water free skiing).  Love it more every time out...whether -15 or -32

Board footer