Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 3:38 PM

CdnMalibu07

Ski Selection? How do you choose the right ski?

Picking a ski sounds simple but its not.
Last season I made some good progress in our course. While I am not as consistent as I'd like to be, I now recognize that a top quality the ski is essential for good performance. I ski at 32mph, only 15 off but I'd like to ski faster and shorter lines. I'm 6' 200lbs. 3 yrs ago I bought a 68.5" HO System 8. For me the ski is slow and rides low in the water with the tip higher than it should be. Last year I switched to a 69" Radar Theory which is more of an improvement ski. I got much better but the ski is not high performing. Recently I skied on a 69" Sixam SS and although it was just one set it felt good. Obviously, I want to find the right ski! I know there are demo programs etc. but is there a way to narrow down which brand, model & size ski to try next.

#2 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 4:40 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ski Selection? How do you choose the right ski?

In my opinion, an analogy might be similar to a professional painter. If the painter is good and does good work, he is probably using good brushes designed for the type of painting he is doing. However, I should add that if he is real good and has been doing it for a while, he could probably paint with a twisted up paper towel. I have always felt that people like Andy Maple could run short line on a boat paddle. While keeping that in mind the professional painter is not going to use a paper towel on a day to day basis and Andy is not going to regularly use a boat paddle. Therefore, if I wanted to paint as well as I possibly could, I would look at the painter that has a similar style and buy the brush that he uses. But remember, if it is not comfortable and you do not enjoy using it then you should get something else that makes you happy. Personally, I am ultra passionate about skiing. I think it is great that Wade has put so much time and effort in creating this Website to help people like you and me. I encourage you and everyone else to pitch in the one single dollar a week to keep it going. I discovered this site a while back and used it free for a bit. As soon as I sent the support money in I immediately got a great and proud feeling that I am part of a great project to keep the sport alive and help waterskiing thrive and propel beginner skiers into the fast lane to ski better and better. I believe that the short line skiers will also better progress through communication. Now back to your ski question; even though I did not settle on the D3 Z7, I heard that almost every one that demoed it bought it. I believe Seth skies on one and he is among the elite skiers in the world. A friend of mine is on it and runs -38. I like the HO A1 and settled on it after trying the D3 Z7. I hope this helps.
Bud

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 5:20 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"
Foot Forward: Right

tough decision, if you want bundle of ski's to grab and try/ just find out about, here's some links to some threads i read when looking for a new ski... not too sure if they'll help narrow down you're choices or if they're skis you're interested in..
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1085
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1184
i've found this site has information on just about every ski out there so search around on the forum!! its a beautiful site!  i see this is you're first post, so welcome to PSC :] good luck with looking around for a new ski! i know i'm on a radar annex, currently the most I've done on it is 22 off at 33mph... but plan to crank  it up a lot as summer starts to hit. and so far, i've LOVED it!! feels great when flying around buoys and  really likes to stay on edge (least compared to my mach1 lol) but i'd defiantly check it out if you wanna look into skiing in the 34mph range! (but if you feel, or anyone else feels that ski or really any top ski is too big of a jump, don't do it... because you do not want too much ski, it WILL hurt you!!) get one that matches you're current skiing and your goals (btw, what are you goals you'd want to do with a new ski??) and search around on this site Wade has done A LOT!! i'm 100% positive that you'll find everything you need and more after some searches around PSC

good luck!!

also, check out ski reviews that other skiers have posted for the skis you're looking at trying out http://www.proskicoach.com/skis/ once again, this is something i basically live off of when lookin up skis big_smile

hope this is of some help!!

BudMan wrote:

Personally, I am ultra passionate about skiing. I think it is great that Wade has put so much time and effort in creating this Website to help people like you and me. I encourage you and everyone else to pitch in the one single dollar a week to keep it going. I discovered this site a while back and used it free for a bit. As soon as I sent the support money in I immediately got a great and proud feeling that I am part of a great project to keep the sport alive and help waterskiing thrive and propel beginner skiers into the fast lane to ski better and better.

Amen brotha!!
& i didn't quote it but awesome analogy!
-plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Tue, Apr 13, 2010 5:38 PM)

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#4 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 8:01 PM

CdnMalibu07

Thanks this is great feedback. I've now had a chance to read many other posts and I'm starting to zone in on at least one or two models, the Radar Senate C maybe an Annex.  Unless I can get some more infromation to pursuade me to look at something else I think I'll order it online and cross my fingers....!

#5 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 8:06 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Give H2osmosis a call.

Have a chat, order through them, and don't cross your fingers.

Board footer