Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 30, 2009 3:10 AM

trichter12
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

What Should my next ski be?

Hey all,
Its about that time to invest in a new ski.  I've recently discovered the wonders of collegiate skiing, and Im looking to upgrade.  Im LFF, 6' 3-4" and 195 or depending on the day.  I have been skiing for a while, but have not participated in competitive skiing until more recently.  Im looking for any help, and or suggestions as to what would be a good ski for me.  Thanks
-Travis

Last edited by trichter12 (Thu, Oct 1, 2009 3:08 AM)

Travis

#2 Wed, Sep 30, 2009 12:28 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: What Should my next ski be?

1st I would suggest a "ski B4 you buy program". This time of year, might necessitate a trip to FL. to demo some equip. though...

For manufacture, I would to some extent follow your heart or Gut. That way you don't end up saying; "Man, I knew I should have bought X brand"... Do your research and ask around like you are doing...

Your present ability Level and future aspirations would help narrow down the Model.

Budget is always a controlling factor...

Personally, I believe most any manufacturer makes some great Stick's. If you could Paint them all Black and go out and ski W/O a "Label" biased opinion, I bet the ave. to above ave. skier could do equally well across the board. Until Ski tests are done in this fashion the world may never really know... And that's where following your heart comes in. Ultimately, Your Mind and subsequent confidence Level is the only thing that will make you or break you...

I ski Radar. -Theory & Annex, with Rail & RS-1 Bindings.
I also have a KD 7000 that Surprisingly to some, can still get r done! - deep into short line...

Wish I could Afford to "test drive" the ELITE!!!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Wed, Sep 30, 2009 6:28 PM

trichter12
Skis At:

Thanks for the input.  After about two days of course practice my best is running the course at 30 and 15, and I got a couple balls at 32 on the next pass.  I would really like to be competitive in slalom at some point.  I think as far as budget goes, $600 might be the upper portion of that.  However, that may increase, and I am open to used skis.

Travis

#4 Wed, Sep 30, 2009 7:22 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Warp 8

All kidding aside, what are you currently skiing on?

#5 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 12:51 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

trichter12 wrote:

Thanks for the input.  After about two days of course practice my best is running the course at 30 and 15, and I got a couple balls at 32 on the next pass.  I would really like to be competitive in slalom at some point.  I think as far as budget goes, $600 might be the upper portion of that.  However, that may increase, and I am open to used skis.

O.K. now that I have a little ammunition to work with...

I'm going to start by saying; you are young and have the Blessing of youth on your side! If you play your cards right at this juncture of your skiing career you will be on the FAST Lane to success! If you are O.K. with Buying a used Stick (for now...) I would second that notion. The $$$ you save, then needs to be invested into Lessons from a real pro that you can relate to and whom can relate to you. This will build the solid foundation that will give you a spring board past a lot of people who will spend their entire ski career just trying to over come themselves and their unstable foundations...

Based on your Age, current MPH, line length and future aspirations, I would recommend looking into something like the F1X and then transitioning to the F1 when you start chipping away @ 36 MPH. Or The Radar Senate or the Senate C (which is possibly the best 34 mph ski on the market...) and then transition to the Annex, RS1 or maybe the new STRATA!

Both the F1X and the Senate are slightly wider versions of their manufacturers respective High end Ski. So, it should be a more seamless transition from the 34mph to 36mph and the wider versions will totally help you at the slower speeds i.e. 30-32mph. ***I would NOT bypass the wider ski and try to ski a 36mph ski at those slower speeds. This will not teach you the same technique that is needed for shorter & faster... Yet, you'll be able to take these wider ski's to short line @ 30-32mph much easier and still build your foundation!

Bindings are also a very Big consideration for you as well. I absolutely Love my Radar RS-1's. And this set up can be moved quickly & seamlessly from ski to ski!!!

I say these things knowing; "if I could have a do over in life, the above statements are some of what I would do different"!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 12:56 AM

trichter12
Skis At:

I forgot to mention that I already have some draft bindings that i will be keeping, so im only looking for a blank ski.  I have checked out ski it again a little bit, but not to thoroughly.  As to what im skiing on now, well, im not really sure.  I know its a KD and it says evolution on the top.  When i purchased it a little while ago, I was told that it was mike suyderhoud's old ski and the man who told me has been taking care of my family's boat since 1996.  I googled it and didnt find anything about it so i guess i just dont know.

Travis

#7 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 2:41 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

First you can beg, borrow, and try skis that interest you, or demo if you can get skis at a local shop. The ride before you buy program from H2osmosis is fantastic, but it's not quite for you if you don't plan on buying a new ski. It is very helpful to get some time on a ski before buying, but it won't be the end of the world if you cannot. There really isn't a bad ski out there, but to paraphrase Orwell, "Some skis are more equal than others." Skis that I would keep on my radar would be Radar Senate, D3 Custom X, HO Nos, Connelly F1x, Obrien Sixam 2-point.

Just a reminder, depending on what you choose, you will need to replace the plate on your rear boot. This really isn't a big deal and Connelly already makes a plate that fits on HO and Radar skis. If I recall correctly, the Connelly insert pattern is the same as Obrien and D3. As I've said before, don't let your bindings dictate your ski choice.

Board footer