Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 2:29 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Help me Pick a Ski, Please

Right now I have an 05 Monza,  I like the ski(But I really don't have enough experience with other skis) other than an 03 F1 which I prefer the monza hands down.

Wade had mentioned that skis break down and mine has been used a lot.

I ski at 34 mph and have run 35 off, not often though, and actually have gotten around 3 balls at 38 (17.3 speed) I believe that was a freak incident though.

I do not have access to a store that I can do the demo program with.

I like the ski, I feel like it doesn't always turn the way I would like it to, so that would be my only real complaint (I know I really can't blame the ski, but I will)
Right foot forward, and a slip in rear. 68inch

I know this is a hard diagnosis, but any feelings ideas on skis, will help.

Thanks

Todd

#2 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 2:50 AM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Help me Pick a Ski, Please

That's the exact ski I came from and we ski at a similar level.

I tried the Senate, Senate C, RS-1, Elite, and the A-1.  Bought the A-1 after one ride (two sets), using someone else's settings (way off factory) and binding shells (I had my own liners).  In spite of those handicaps I bought one the next day - I've actually only got maybe 12 sets on the A-1, but it was a very easy transition from the Monza.

Next spring I'll get a Strada to try - primarily because some former A-1 skiers I respect have switched - but it will have to seriously impress me before the A-1 goes up on blocks.

TW

#3 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 4:09 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

ToddF wrote:

I do not have access to a store that I can do the demo program with.

Sure you do: H2Osmosis. Be sure to let them know where u heard about them! I'm pretty sure they have a try before you buy demo program.

Also check through the Skis DataBase -- there are lots of real-person real-world reviews in there. Mostly short & suite, but it's no salesman talking that's for sure.

#4 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 2:27 PM

Griff
Skis At: Richmond Water Ski Club

Todd,
As Wade said, H2Osmosis has a "try before you buy" program.  I have bought 2 skis from them in the last 2 or 3 years. Well worth trying a ski before you buy it.

I have not skied on the A1 but I have seen several people move to it with ease and ski their best.  Since the Strata just came out, I have no input on it. 

I bought the D3 Z7 last season. I skied my personal best in the last tournament of the season and improved my average several buoys.  It feels as if it knows what to do when I don't and is very forgiving.

My 2 cents.

Griff

#5 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 5:59 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

The A1 is as good a place to start as any. If you could hold off, it sounds like HO is close to having the A2 ready, but there isn't exactly a timeline out there.

Here is what I know or have been told about the A1. It is far more balanced than the Monza. It turns easier and more predictably than the Monza. It prefers a slightly wider line and a more sweeping turn.
Put in other terms, it is not particularly tolerant of a narrow line. If you ski narrow, it will not feel particularly special and might even be harder to run a pass. If you really just want to slam-dunk and hook-turn, you may be better served by finding another Monza. The ski feels a little bit like the MPD in that it does not feel particularly fast, yet your turns apex at the same time they used to.

#6 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 8:50 PM

Ski36Ossipee
Skis At: Ossipee Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I suggest the Senate-C it is a great 34 mph ski. Everone that has one in my club loves it.

Everyone improved their personal bests this year when they got on it.

#7 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 9:59 PM

ToddF

Thanks for the input,  I would be curious about someone who switched to the senate C from the monza,

Has anyone gone from an 05 to 09 monza(there isn't anything on the newer monza in the reviews)

is the 09 monza improved over the 05 or just newer?

I like the thought of the A-1 it seems like the natural progression, same manufacturer and all.
Is that really that important? Except for brand loyalty.

#8 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 10:15 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Shape and rocker is the same. In 2008 they started using the TCC top. It's supposed to provide better torsional stability. The one skier I know that got a 2008 said that the carryout was a little bit better, other than that, it's the same ski.

There's really no reason better than another as to what brand ski you try first. Personally, I would start with HO because I like the equipment that they have made in the past. If you find feedback and it sounds more to your liking, there's no good reason not to try that ski first.

#9 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 1:16 AM

gjohnson

Todd,
I’ll second the H2Osmosis recommendation.  They provide excellent customer service.  The try before you buy program will help you get on the right stick with out having to buy each ski. 

I, like you, was on a Monza for a while and really liked it.  Since then I’ve had a SS, Prophecy, A1, Elite and demo’d the Z7.  All of them are better than the Monza.  Once you give a newer ski a ride, you’ll discover how poorly the Monza turns the off side.  Good luck with your endeavor.

Greg Johnson

#10 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 2:19 AM

ToddF

So Greg, which one of the demos did you like the best?

Todd

#11 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 6:27 AM

gjohnson

The quick answer is the Elite.  It’s fast like the Monza with a more responsive off side.  The more I rode it, the more comfortable I became on it.  The results showed in practice and tournaments.  However, if history repeats itself, I’ll be on another ski by the end of this season.

As for the others, I rode the SS for three weeks.  It was a very nice ski, but I was having trouble adapting to the differences from the Monza.  Off sides were great, but the on side not so much.  Quite a change for me.  I sold it and went back to the Monza...briefly. 

Enter the Prophecy.  One day I’d have the perfect set and the next day I’d want to run it through a wood chipper.  I struggled with consistency on it.  One mistake and down I went.  Water conditions really affected it’s performance.  The on side turns were killer though.  I suspect the newer versions are better.  I’m sure mine is one of the first production models.  It has a cloth like top.

The A1 was consistent.  I just never got it set up right.  The approach bindings didn’t work very well because the hole patterns didn’t match the sweet spot.  I struggled getting enough speed on the gate.  Instead of playing with the settings, I sold it and went back to the prophecy.  It had potential.

Since I only demo’d the Z7, I didn’t get as much time on it.  But it turned great on both sides of the course.  Very predictable.  I liked the speed of the Elite more.  So I chose it over the Z7.

This summer I’ll be trying the 2010 Prophecy.  For some reason I can’t seem to get away from that ski.  If the new ski is way better than mine it’ll be wicked good.  I seem to have fallen into the U2 song “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for”.

Board footer