Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Dec 31, 2009 3:30 PM

les

Radar rs1 boot liner

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its ok to put Radar intuition boot liners in a normal oven or is it best to mould them with the proper machine

Cheers  Les

#2 Thu, Dec 31, 2009 3:51 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Re: Radar rs1 boot liner

ya, I'd be very careful though! You might try heating them with hot water and then stick your feet in to complete the molding process. Probably a safer proposition.

Last edited by StevenHaines (Thu, Dec 31, 2009 3:52 PM)

#3 Thu, Dec 31, 2009 5:18 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1129

Yes. This has been discussed in the above thread. There are directions from Fluid Motion that have been used with good success. You could also visit a ski store that has the heater to mold boots. They'll give you strange looks, but will be more than happy to discuss the boots while they stick them on that overgrown boot drier. I would prefer this method because you would use the method that Radar prescribes and you should have a margin of safety, as a consumer, should something weird happen

I just used a hair-dryer, and in retrospect I did not heat the liners enough to really get the foam to swell up and mold to my foot. But then again all I was looking for was a little space for my toes and ankle bone.

#4 Thu, Dec 31, 2009 6:01 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

It worked fine for me (I could not find one of the machines local to me).   I got the liner "started" in my kitchen oven- set on convection (the instructions gave the proper temperature in Celsius, which I believe converted to about 220 degrees Farenheit).  I had the boot on a cookie sheet w/ aluminum foil on it. 2 minutes, then flipped, 2 more minutes.  I then carefully put the liner in the boot, and hit it w/ two 1875 watt hair dryers for a few more minutes.  On one I duct taped a short piece of pvc tube so the heat could be shot up into the toe box.
Put the insole (that comes w/ the Strada boot) in and stood in the boot for 5 minutes or so (with a thin sock on, and a clump of duct tape stuck on the end of my big toe for extra room).  You can alway "re-mold" them if needed.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but thought I would throw this feedback in.   I am wondering if with the Strada boot (as it has a thinner liner than the RS1) it is not as necessary to "size up", as many suggested with the RS1.  I wear an 8 wide dress shoe or 8 1/2 sneaker, and I went w/ the 9.  I only skied one set in on them before season ended, and think the heel area is a bit loose.  (I may have to go for an 8)

(edit)  I did end up getting a size 8.  I molded that one by placing on a foil covered cookie sheet for 225 F x 10 minutes.  Wetting the boot a bit helps the (hot) liner slide in easier.

Last edited by davemac (Wed, Mar 24, 2010 12:49 AM)

#5 Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:46 PM

Hack
Foot Forward: Left

I have the '10 Strada boots on a '09 Annex.  I tried the ski on without heat forming the linings, then heat set them.  There was quite a bit of difference...they felt much better after heat forming.

I called Radar last week, and they unofficially said that using the oven as a last resort is O.K.  He told me to set it at 220F and put the liner on foil for 5 minutes.  Be careful inserting the liner into the shell, insert the orthodic, put your foot in, tighten to a "medium" tension on laces and stand in a neutral skiing position for 5 minutes.

Seemed to work fine.

I'll find a local board shop to set them on a boot heater soon...I just wanted to ski this thing yesterday.

Last edited by Hack (Mon, Jan 4, 2010 6:52 PM)

#6 Tue, Jan 5, 2010 1:46 PM

les

Cheers Everyone, most helpfull, have them in the oven as I type

Cheer Again

Les

#7 Tue, Jan 5, 2010 10:10 PM

Hack
Foot Forward: Left

les wrote:

Cheers Everyone, most helpfull, have them in the oven as I type