Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 1:38 AM

bullet1700
Foot Forward: Left

How to turn harder and to improve all round

G'day
Just joined your forum from Australia
Im and average skier and i havent had as much practice as I should
Just wondering what your baclance on the ski should be in a turn?
Im experimenting on how much pressure to put on the back foot and not sure what a good skiier recomends?
because after a while my back leg gets worn out so I guess to much pressure on back foot.
Should the balance between feet be equal?
and also what part of the ski should i turn on silly question maybe? eg 2/3 up the ski or 1/2 or more to the back or should I just go harder changing the balance till I take a good spill?

also boat speed how fast should I be going im about 70 KG with HO Burner 67 ski I discovered last weekend that I have been skiing too slow because I kept get slack rope and after adjusting speed I didnt have any slack rope and my rythm became much better and smoother.

Not sure if anyone can help or if a have explained the right way
thanks to anyone who might be able to help and set me straight as I cant find any dvds around to watch and I only have access to the internet at work.
Thanks
Cameron

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#2 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 1:57 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Re: How to turn harder and to improve all round

Drive the ski through your front foot. If anything you want to be more on the front foot through the turns while being balanced between the feet through the wakes. never want to be back foot heavy as this causes the ski to lose precious speed.

#3 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 2:10 AM

bullet1700

OK thanks a lot
I hope to get out soon and give it a go

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#4 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 3:32 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Slack is the consequence of mismanaged momentum. I would bet that you stay on your cutting edge almost all the way out to the width that you want to get to. Go to webcast-tv.com and watch some of the tournament skiing under the showcase tab (either Worlds or Bigdawg will be great). Most of the time, if a skier pulls all the way to the buoy the pass is over. Establish your rhythm first. Worry about getting wider later.

Also give the postings under this thread a read. The linked video from h2osmosis will also be helpful.
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1138

#5 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 3:56 AM

bullet1700

ok a couple of sessions i was fine and I played around with timing abit and what you said is right and the last time i went out I forgot to think about it and was terrible.
I was skiing on the Murray River which has dried up a bit and its hard to get a nice groove going as you have to watch out for trees and go around bends.
I have had luck with a lake and out in the bay where theres lots of room and the boat can stay straight for a good distance.
Do you recomend and distance off the wake to do my turns on a standard rope at full length to practice.
Thanks for your input I might get half good one day talking to you guys hehe

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#6 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 4:05 AM

bullet1700

When do I stop cutting out and then start to turn the other way?
do I leave a gap ????

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#7 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 5:08 AM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

stop edging after you pass the second wake.  then when you start your edge change and make the cut.

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#8 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 5:49 AM

bullet1700

So I go through the wake and after the second one i just go straight and hang there for a second then turn the other way??

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#9 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 3:06 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

If you have loops in the rope, shorten it to the first red loop and see how that goes. That is -15'. Your arc will be a little smaller and you'll be going a little faster. Many find this speed comfortable and have an easier time at managing the rope. (plus you feel like a stud because you get to shorten the rope)

Watch the clips at the bottom of the page. That is what you are trying to do.
http://waterskitips.h2osmosis.com/?m=200707

As you get more confident with those mini whips, you can start a little wider, as a consequence you will carry out a little further, but you are keeping that edge change no later than the whitewash on the far side of the wakes. For the matter, what speed are you skiing at?

#10 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 4:29 PM

EdJohnson

Bullet1700,
            The best advice I can offer you is to get Mike Suyderhoud's DVD on West Coast Slalom. It goes into great detail in every aspect of Slalom, with examples of Open Water and Course Skiing that you can effectively practice.
            Coaching would be the next step and this web site has excellent advice on that.

www.WestCoastSlalom.com

#11 Wed, Nov 18, 2009 9:48 PM

bullet1700

Im not sure what speed I ski at as the speedo is stuffed
I have found that I have been skiing too slow as the ski felt spongey in the water and after I found a nice speed the ski reacted a lot quicker and made things a lot easier.
I'll have a look at the videos
Thanks for your input so far.

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

Board footer