Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 9:50 PM

vonny
Foot Forward: left

please help me change my bad habits

my last week of skiing  - anyone got time to give me a list of what i should work on?? molto grazie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRq9v9W2Xgk

#2 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 11:47 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Re: please help me change my bad habits

Hi Vonny,

One very important thing is that you're not pulling through the wakes, you're double pulling. It took me a while to understand on how to pull once not twice as you're doing. Don't be afraid, don't look down, stay on edge and you'll go through the wake like nothing is there.
Hips up, squeeze your buttocks together this helps.
Hands low.
Ski to the handle.
Shoulder blades pinched. Proud chest.
Keep on skiing......and smile.............

Snow

#3 Tue, Oct 13, 2009 1:17 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

I agree with Snow's post. I could tell the water conditions were not the best for working on confidence. I would suggest trying to get out there as much as possible on very smooth "Glass" water and to try working on one aspect per pull. You pick the part that interests you the most and just work on that. i.e. work on only the pull drill that I posted on the other thread. Or only work on commiting to staying on edge all the way through the wakes... But, only 1 aspect per run...

And keep that video running!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 8:28 PM

vonny

Hi there, Thank you both. Now I know why I couldnt understand a lesson in Italian, I cant understand what you're saying in English!! What does double pull mean? Today I kept on edge out wide, worked on hips up etc but then when I turn into the wake, the rope hits the water it's so slack. To pinch the shoulder blades I feel as if I'm leaning right back, is that correct? Can I lean too far back? As for the smile, I'm too busy catching my breath!! big_smile

#5 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 9:18 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Give the drill below a try

http://waterskitips.h2osmosis.com/?m=200707

If you cannot access the video I can summarize it later.

Double Cut: (open up your video and watch) All the way out to the left, you turn in toward the wakes. You flatten the ski in order to cross the wakes. Once you are on the other side you get onto the edge of the ski again. If you stay on your cutting edge all the way out to the width that you want to turn at, you will outrun the boat and get slack.

Last edited by HO 410 (Wed, Oct 14, 2009 9:23 PM)

#6 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 9:29 PM

snow1122

Hi Vonny,

First of all relax and feel the moment........you're in a beautiful place:o)

Double pull.............when I watch your video you're coming into the turn, you turn then you stop pulling to cross the wakes, then when you cross the second wake you start you pull again, that's double pulling. I did the same thing.........
Ok, start your pull before the first wake, stay on edge as you go through both wakes, don't let off and pull all the way past the second wake, then get ready for your next turn and repeat.
What has helped me, was not to go very wide, keep it simple and narrow until you get comfortable crossing both wakes, don't look down when you're crossing the wakes and trust youself. Keep centered on your ski.
Keep in mind as you cross the wakes to pinch your shoulder blades, chest proud, hips up, hands low and a level head and don't look down.
As you feel more comfortable crossing the wakes you can work on going wider.

I hope this helps for the time being.

Snow

#7 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:31 AM

vonny

Thanks HO & Snow. Think that's one of the main problems - trusting myself, scared of speed i flatten out. End of the season now. Thanks once again. Hubby says last ski on sat could already see improvement from your tips!!

#8 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 4:30 PM

snow1122

Hello Vonny,

Your welcome!

If you're some what scared of the speed, go slower.......nothing wrong with that until you feel more confident, but keep on working on your form and making those turns.
Just give time and you'll see the improvements as time goes by.

Best of luck and enjoy the winter.

My husband and I are planning to go to Zermatt/Cervinia to ski this winter.

Snow

#9 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 8:31 PM

vonny

Hi Snow
If I go slower, the fore arms tire quicker.
We will ski in Aspen this winter!
We close up our house here & return to London till next spring.
Have fun
Vonny

#10 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 9:08 PM

snow1122

Hi Vonny,

Do forearm exercises and stretch those body parts more often. If you don't feel comfortable with your present speed and I would slow the boat down a bit so you're able to work on form and not concentrate on fear of crossing the wakes.
You can slow down maybe 1 or 2mph then work on your form and try at higher speeds after you feel more confident about the wake crossings.
In my world 26-28mph was wonderful to learn the course and 28-30mph free skiing and not worrying about the darn red balls.
Work on form first and everything else will come.
The soreness does go away. I find that pull ups has helped me a lot.
Stretch your forearms as often as you can. Massages works too.

This will be our first time skiing Zermatt, we're looking forward to ski Switzerland and Italy.
Aspen is beautiful! Have a wonderful time and be safe.

Snow

#11 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 9:22 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Vonny, bring your ski with you. Then when you get to London, buy yourself a  3/2 (ok to 9-10C) or a 5/3 O'Neill Pyscho 2 for colder waters, or alternatively a Hammond Dysuit (Rolls Royce of Drysuits in the UK) and go ski at one of the many clubs around London. You'll get that coaching you were asking about on another post. 1. JB Waterski 2. Liquid Leisure 3. Princes (all around Heathrow) or if you are East London, Gosfield in Essex. If you're not sure about winter skiing go along on a Sat/Sun and watch others skiing.

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#12 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 10:10 PM

vonny

Thanks Snow, worked out in gym today, which felt so good after 5 months! Used to do wrist curls but forgot about them so will include them in. Being a sports massage therapist I believe in massages & take them regularly! Already visualizing everything I have to do over the winter! Will def slow the speed down.

Sure skiing in Switzerland is beautiful. Also in France & Italy but prefer USA anyday (skied Snowbird,Big Sky,Jackson Hole,Grand Targhee,Vail,Aspen,Winter Park), safer & more friendly. In Madonna di Campiglio our ski guide wouldn’t take us off piste down moguls saying if we got injured he was liable. Even after I offered to put in writing that I wouldn’t sue him, he wouldn’t. Waste of money!! 

You’ll have fun anyway. Enjoy

Vonny

#13 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 10:13 PM

vonny

Hi Colin
Never thought of skiing in London. Own a 4/3 orca to swim in the Thames in the London triathlon last year!! But left behind in Switz so that’s it for the season. See you at my House of Lords Dinner? Thanks for the idea - next time you're in London let's meet up.

#14 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 2:09 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Your House of Lords Dinner? Explain, I'd guess its related to your website. Not sure a 4/3 Orca will save you from the contents of the Thames though. Anyway, you didn't say you hadn't brought your ski with you.

(Off topic I know, but dinner at the House of Lords is like being invited for dinner at the Senate, only better - not for debate, unless you want to start a new thread LoL)

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#15 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 5:28 PM

snow1122

Hi Vonny,

Working out, stretching and massages in and out of season works wonders for me.
In my world I do cardio 3x a week, weights 3x a week then snow or water skiing on the weekends, plus riding my bicycle or snowmobile in between.

This is going to be our first snow skiing trip to Europe, I've heard of skiing off piste in Europe and all the hazards that comes with it.
We're still in between Canada and Europe. We have skied many Canada resorts, so we may do it again, but this time we're looking into heli/cat skiing by Revelstoke BC. We were there two seasons ago and it was a hoot, tons of fresh and light pow.

Be safe and enjoy your snow skiing in the US.
We're looking forward to this season.

Take care,

Snow

#16 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 12:11 AM

vonny

Hi Colin, guess you didnt read this http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewto … 1&p=2. Still plenty of tickets left for the dinner. 4 American couples are flying over specially for it & 30 tickets bought by Americans living here so far! Also includes a 75 minute tour of both Houses of Parliament. Invitation open to all. Dame Norma Major Guest of Honour. Tickets to Wimbledon court no. 1 on auction.
Am looking to buy a new ski though & the orca is real warm!
ps  a glass of coke kills the thames bugs

#17 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 12:20 AM

vonny

Hi Snow, you must be so fit.I only ski & cycle in the summer in Switz & train in the gym in the winter to prepare for the summer!
My son is doing his Masters at CalArts in Valencia! We were in LA setting him up with a home & car etc
We're meeting him in NYC over Thanksgiving. Maybe we can meet up next time we visit him! smile

#18 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 5:20 PM

snow1122

Hello Vonny,

I keep on trying to stay fit & healthy. Love to workout and ski of course.......lol........
My daughter lives in Valencia! What a coincidence!
Yes, email me when you guys come to LA next time. That would be great!
As long you're working out, you'll keep being strong and fit it doesn't matter if is summer or winter.
Keep up the good job!

Snow

Board footer