Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 12:43 AM

Zane
Foot Forward: Left

How to Build a Ski Lake

Does anyone have any input or idea on how much digging a lake would cost? This is just a wild pipe dream of mine but if I had some numbers to throw around to the Wife my dream might be able to become a reality. anyones experience's or input on this would be awesome..like permits required, anything you know and could pass on to me. Thanks

Zane

#2 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 4:29 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond

Re: How to Build a Ski Lake

A friend of mine dug a lake in 2007.  Hired a lawyer for the permits, $12k.  Cost to dig was $150K.  He hired it out and it took about 10 weeks.

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#3 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 6:11 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Depends on where you're at. I know a guy in NY who bought 150 acres @ about $1k per acre, dug the lakes himself, cheap when diesel was low-cost.

I know another guy who had to pay over 6 figures in EPA fines for "destroying wetlands"... BS considering he actually created more wetlands than he destroyed. The 12k in lawyerness is probably the best money spend.roll

#4 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 11:12 AM

2gofaster

It really depends on the topography and what you need to do with the excavated dirt. To excavate and move off of a property all the dirt from a lake would cost a LOT. A quick calc gave me about 75,000 cubic yards of dirt for a 2100x220x6ft deep lake with 10:1 shores.  If you called up an excavator with trucks to move the dirt out and told him you wanted it done in 60 days, he'd probably want $4 to $6 a cubic yard.  If your site needs building up, though, and you can use the excavated dirt as fill, then the price goes down considerably. And if you can find a situation like at our lake in the 90s, then the cost is next to nothing. The 3 brothers who own our lake found a road construction company who needed fill dirt. They left the equipment for us, we'd dig at night and on the weekends and pile the dirt up, and they'd truck it off. Took 2 years but it was almost free to dig. Oh and the wetlands issue was big. We wanted the lake 500ft closer to the hillside where the houses sit but couldn't because of a protected wetland.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Tue, Oct 6, 2009 11:14 AM)

Shane Hill

#5 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 11:20 AM

Lang

Legal guidance is highly recommended. Check state and local requirements. In MI if the body of water is 5 acres or more a state permit is required ($2,000).  Some local ordinances also require a permit as well as the county drain commissions.  The cost can be reduced substantially if the topsoil and sand can be sold for nearby expressway or other construction projects.  Trucking distance is a key financial factor for the contractor buying the fill. In my case 25,000 cy of topsoil and 75,000 cy of sand were sold.  85,000 cy of clay was kept on site and used for berms around 3 sides then covered with topsoil. Our local Pheasants Forever group seeded the berms at NO cost for wildlife habitat. Total project was close to a push as far as cost goes.  Project took 7 weeks using 3 627-F scrapers, 1 old D-9 dozer and a 345 excavator.  Dive in! - - a little stress is healthy!

Regards,

Andy

#6 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 12:06 PM

DaveLemons
Foot Forward: right

Almots impossible to get a permit to dig a lake in Idaho because of the drought we had....
Check in to the legal issues before you start

#7 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 1:08 PM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

The private site I now ski was found by the owners while flying around in his buddy's plane. He spotted a body of spring fed water almost perfect in shape and size. He knocked on the farmer's door and told him he was interested in buying if he ever wanted to sell. A few years later the farmer sold him the land.

#8 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 2:02 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Here is a link from an article in waterski mag a few years back, might be food for thought..good luck, keep us posted..

http://www.gouldengineering.com/ski_lakes.asp

#9 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 12:18 PM

bf

I went back and forth for years between trying to find land to dig and trying to find an existing site.  Where we live it would be virtually impossible to permit a lake dig - too many wetland and water restrictions.  Finally found an existing site that was a borrow pit for a highway overpass.  big_smile  Bought the site together with another skier and am now in the process of starting site improvements.

My opinion is that it's far less expensive to find an existing site and try to purchase.  In many areas you can see these small lakes near just about every highway overpass.  Tracking down the current owners may be the hardest part.

#10 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 1:46 AM

Zane

BF yea I see these borrow pits all over the place here in the midwest and some of them look like they would be perfect for a site, in fact I drive by one everytime I go through Indiana that has a site on it. thats not a bad idea. was the site that you bought for sale or did you have to sweet talk the owners?

#11 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 3:25 PM

bf

Zane,  the site we eventually purchased was already for sale.  For years we had been searching to buy, lease, beg, borrow or steal a place to ski.  Even though this lake is 300 miles from where we live, it is still a dream come true.  I plan to eventually move there.

Prior to finding this location, I looked everywhere at all times - kind of an obsession for me.  Tell everyone that you are in the market, search online, look at local real estate papers, Pennysaver, etc.  If you do happen to drive past a site that looks like a decent prospect, you can always find out who the owner is through county tax offices (many of these allow address searches online).  Keep looking and good luck!

#12 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 9:12 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.

There's a site out of Bozeman Mt. that was built as a water retention pond by the state of Mt on a guys property at no cost to him! LUCKY!!!

#13 Tue, Oct 13, 2009 5:27 PM

19skier

Montana is truly a waterskiers paradise.  Steve, do you ski at that site?

#14 Tue, Oct 13, 2009 7:38 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Sadly no, I moved south before they built it. I did get the pleasure of skiing at No Wake Lake in Helena and Dragonfly Lake I St. Ignatius. Both Beautiful sites and great people!

#15 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 1:37 AM

19skier

Moving south sounds great to me - even if this state builds ski-lake style reservoirs. I have been fortunate to ski Kicking Axe and Helena too but spend most of my ski time on Flathead lake. That's why moving south sounds so good! We raised our kids in Manhattan and I have skied that lake a half dozen times - google maps/earth has a great pic of a skier on that lake.   http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.86254 … &hl=en

#16 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 1:32 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Well, if you've skied both Helena and kickin' Axe, we've probably crossed paths! Who am I talking too?

#17 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 1:38 PM

19skier

Matt Grimshaw from Polson - don't think we have crossed paths until now.

#18 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 3:54 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Are you skiing at K A Ranch? I understand that the slough in Kalispell got shut down. I know that Alsbury is bummin'

#19 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 4:35 PM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

Just FYI, we are now moving forward with a two-lake project in Charleston, South Carolina called Coastal Lake Estates.  You can find more info at www.coastallakeestates.com or email me.  Sorry to interject.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Edit: You can post more about this at the thread Seth started for the new development here: http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1145

Last edited by WadeWilliams (Thu, Oct 15, 2009 10:09 PM)

#20 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 9:57 PM

19skier

Charlston looks great compared to the snow outside my window! Steve, there is a course set up by the dam at Polson, where Anderson's used to have theirs. Greg has been skiing KA all summer, and some on the river at Kalispell. I know he is missing his secret spot!

#21 Mon, Apr 19, 2010 5:48 PM

jgbever

I am not sure what state your in but be carful, when you start the permit process make sure you get state and the local permits . The countys are good at saying sure your ready and then Mr. DNR shows up .  If your from indiana and interested I have aprivate l;ake for sale email me for details [email protected]

#22 Tue, Apr 20, 2010 12:43 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA
Foot Forward: left

I have heard the $100k figure from several sources (for the construction only) - permits and EPA clearances will vary by location.   

Here's a link to a guy who has built several beautiful lakes over the past several years.  http://www.ski-lake.com   His site is a virtual how-to...

#23 Tue, Apr 20, 2010 4:36 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:

zane  I noticed your from potterville isn't there a private site nearby there already I think I've skied there before but forgot what it was called.  I'm from Lansing area but mostly ski further north.

Board footer