Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 4:53 PM

matuszewski
Foot Forward: right

Best Way to Approach New Line Length

I'm curious how folks approach a new line length, and if there is a consensus on what is most effective.  Do you slow the boat and try the shorter length or ski the course in reverse at top speed and shorter length, shadow at top speed, or just go for it with the new length and speed.

This is probably personal preference - just wondering how most approach it.

#2 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 5:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Best Way to Approach New Line Length

When you miss a buoy -- keep skiing ! Even if you have to shadow or ski the pass early, learning the new rhythm of that shorter line length is what you're looking for. Slowing the boat down can help, too.

Mostly I want to run every pass I ski. Missing passes doesnt help. So be skiing the longer line really well. When you shorten it, make 6 turns, even if it's not outside the buoys. Build yourself up to trust the new line -- slowing the boat down might help you feel more comfortable.

#3 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:21 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

I am interested in this topic also as I have been struggling with 32 off all summer.  I make about 40-50% of my 28 offs and usually make 28 every set but only regularly get 2-3 at 32 with a best of 4.  I feel like I can run it now where before I felt like I could barely get around 1 but I haven't come close to 5 ball yet.

#4 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:29 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

If you're only running your 28s 50% of the time you need to bring them up to to 80-100% in order to be more consistent @ 32. I'm sure you have some nitty grittys holdin you back

\/   \/   \/   \/

#5 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:37 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

WadeWilliams wrote:

If you're only running your 28s 50% of the time you need to bring them up to to 80-100% in order to be more consistent @ 32. I'm sure you have some nitty grittys holdin you back

\/   \/   \/   \/

I am sure I do.  The biggest one for me right now is probably fitness.  I am about 40 pounds heavier than I should be and it makes it harder for me to hold the angle as the line gets shorter.  I really felt it today when I felt like I got a good turn at 1 and couldn't hold my body position out of it.

Fall is here so I need to get to the gym to get set up for next year.

#6 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:26 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

matuszewski wrote:

I'm curious how folks approach a new line length, and if there is a consensus on what is most effective.  Do you slow the boat and try the shorter length or ski the course in reverse at top speed and shorter length, shadow at top speed, or just go for it with the new length and speed.

This is probably personal preference - just wondering how most approach it.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1022

Check out the Drill on post #3 at the above address.  It may or may not make sense to you. But, I LOVE it!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:31 PM

benji

whats the best way to approach consistencey on 14mt. Can the gates be too fast by going early or is hips and knees more important.   34mph

Benji

#8 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 8:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Benji take a look at the gate discussion we had yesterday: http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1087

benji wrote:

Can the gates be too fast by going early or is hips and knees more important

you're not really ever going to be too fast by going early.

Going late will easily get you too fast.

Starting the gate with a consistent smooth rhythm is most important at any line length.

Hope this helps.

Board footer