Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Sep 6, 2009 11:06 PM

brennank

Help in the Course

Hello all,
I'm rather new to skiing in the the slalom course, but have been skiing on one ski for 2 years now. I am having some trouble getting around the last 5 balls. Each pass I'm within 2 feet of each ball, I let go with my outside hand to extend my body around the ball but just don't make it.

A few notes,
I'm 16 yrs old and around 120lbs.
Currently skiing at 15' off and around 28 mph.
I'm skiing on a 2007 Connelly F1X with a rear toe slip.
I occasionally ski behind a good friends 2002 196, but on most outings I'm behind a 18 foot Sea Ray..., looking to get a Nautique....

I have some pictures if that would help.....

You suggestions are greatly appreciated...
Thanks for your time.
Brennan

Last edited by brennank (Sun, Sep 6, 2009 11:07 PM)

#2 Mon, Sep 7, 2009 7:55 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Help in the Course

Brennan,

The best advice I recieved when I was first learning the course was to not look at the turn buoy!  When you get around 1 ball, your instict will likely be to look across the course to 2 ball.  When you do that you ski to the ball and will miss it every time.  Don't worry about the entrance gates right now, and get really wide for 1 ball so that you can turn in right next to it.  Then, look straight across the lake and pick a spot on the shore...try and ski to that spot.  A few feet after you've passed the second wake, look for 2 ball and  begin your edge change.  Repeat for all subsequent balls. 

Good luck! 

Travis

Travis Ogden

#3 Mon, Sep 7, 2009 11:37 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

There are so many liitle things that can make BIG improvements very easily. Staring down the buoy As Travis mentioned is a very good point. This is a natural, but very detrimental action. Until one can achieve their own rhthym and timing it is almost impossible to not stare at the up coming buoy. I would highly suggest removing the wgt. & pressure of the buoys by shadowing the heck out of the buoys. Trying to improve your timing and develope your own rhthym while progressively turning closer and closer to the buoys.

When this becomes very E.Z. and rhythmatic, continue shadowing but, now you can begin to add in and cover #6 ball. Then when this becomes very E.Z. and rhythmatic you can also add in and cover #4 and eventually #2. When this becomes automatic you can begin to add in #5 as well, ( you'll now  be covering #2, 4, 5, and 6 and still shadowing #1 & 3..) Eventually, you will have progressively covered All 6 buoys from the back to the front!

If you try to cover the buoys from #1 to #2 and so on through all 6, You will, (Like all of us) have a great tendency to get behind and lose all of your good form and technique trying to Eeeeeeeek out those remaining  buoys. You will then at times be spending more time "Scrapping" then skiing! And this "Perfect practice" dangerously creates an injury prone "Perfect Scrapper"!

This is one way to add speed or cut rope without starting the course rushed and out of whack and then wasting time skiing straight behind the boat after you miss or worse "scrapping" your way out...     

Best of Luck to you and your progress!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 1:56 AM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

h20dawg, great advice..you ever get to B'ham? I love to run a few sets, tip a glass and bend your ear on progression. I fell into the trap you mentioned above and am just recovering from ribs, shoulders ,back, etc...Have recently dropped back to 15 off 30/32,just to try and redevelop fundamentals that were lost trying to heal!

#5 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 12:44 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

skibuddy wrote:

h20dawg, great advice..you ever get to B'ham? I love to run a few sets, tip a glass and bend your ear on progression. I fell into the trap you mentioned above and am just recovering from ribs, shoulders ,back, etc...Have recently dropped back to 15 off 30/32,just to try and redevelop fundamentals that were lost trying to heal!

Ya man, Thanx!  Same to you, - if your ever in Nashville! I hope your recovery will be quick and complete!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 4:36 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

H20DAWG,

Very nice advice!

Snow

#7 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 2:12 PM

Chef23

At the beginning stages the most important thing from my perspective isn't the turn but the pull through the wakes.  At 15 off there is plenty of rope to get around the bouys but not if you don't pull strong through both wakes.  As mentioned above don't think about where the next bouy is but focus on getting good body position coming out of the bouy and hold that through the white water past the second wake.  This should project you out with enough width to get around the bouys.

Good luck and have fun.

#8 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 2:35 PM

dwallar

Hey Brennan,

Sounds like you and I are at a similar stage....I highly recommend you read through my post "Crunching Forward while crossing the wake" in this forum...there is a LOT of good advice in there.

I absolutely agree that the most important progression I made was learning the proper body position in wake crossing.  It took me into a whole new level of skiing.

All the best,

Don

Board footer