Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 2:55 PM

flapjack

1st new ski in 10 years, what should I get?

I just got back into slalom after a 10 year break.  I'm 6'3"; I weigh 205-210lbs; I have a 13-14 shoe size.  I am riding a mid-90s HO VTR.  I've just gotten my first passes in a 34mph, 22 off (PB).

I don't know that my ski is holding me back at this point, but my boots are so tight that my sets are rushed.  My feet cramp and hurt.

I'm not a gear junky, but I'm thinking my boots and ski are dated.  I'd like to update/upgrade, but I just need something to progress on.

- My biggest priority is boots.  What boot would you ride?  I'm probably inclined to buy new boots and a used ski.
- What used ski should I be looking for (size and model)?

Thanks,
Jack

#2 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 3:33 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Re: 1st new ski in 10 years, what should I get?

A lot of people have been raving about the Radar Strada Boot ar last years RS-1 Boot, also from Radar. I've been using Fluid Motion hardshells for years. They're comfortable and very durable. There's alot of goode options out there right now! O'brien has a real nice looking boot out this year too! Check out ski-it-again.com   there are alot of real good deals there.

#3 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 5:13 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

...not sure the RS-1/ Strada boots are gonna be an option will flippers that big.  They only go up to size 12 IIRC.

#4 Wed, Jul 28, 2010 5:34 PM

Thomas Wayne

My long-time ski partner has  size-13 feet and could not get a comfortable fit in the RS-1's. A few years before that he was on FM double boots but suffered a permanent ankle injury; he sold those for 50-cents on the dollar.  Now he uses custom-built Wiley's (which I mounted to a Radar Sequence plate) and couldn't be happier.

With feet that big your options may be limited.  I suspect whatever you end up with may have to be open-toed...

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Thu, Jul 29, 2010 8:39 AM)

#5 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 2:11 PM

tzorn

I'm very similar in size, being 6'3", 230 lbs, size 13 foot, and like you also have a PB of 22' off, and can get into 28' when the water if flat.  (I'm 48, ski at 33 mph)  This season I switched from an older Triumph (widebody ski in HO's line), to a barely used HO A1 (68.75"), and use double Wiley's ProBuild Hardcore (a little stiffer and thicker rubber than the standard model) highwraps.  I first bought a 68" Radar Annex (similar to RS1) which is really nice, but after a few days on it, I determined it is just a little too small I think for my weight.  So my son is on that ski, and loves it.  In hindsight, the 69" Senate-C would have been the better size Radar for me.  You might like both.  The slightly larger A1 turn out to be just right in and out of the course for me.  Very fun stick and tracks like it's on rails.  I like the simplicity of the Wiley's boot, and on 'bad' falls, I come out of them.  I also used to have a problem of foot cramps on the rear foot with my Wiley's, and had Wiley's set that boot up on a wider plate with bigger wraps.  Problem solved.  I'm very pleased with what I ended up with, and expect to be on this setup for years.  If you can demo a few skis, in different lengths, as it's pretty amazing the difference an inch can make.  As noted earlier, Ski-It-Again.com has some great deals, if you find the ski and size you need.  Good luck!

#6 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 8:46 PM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

I would try the 69" Radar senate-c www.radarskis.com/senate-c.html or the 66" GOODE Wide Ride www.goode.com/wsmodel2010.htm  and go with Wiley's for boots.

Scot Chipman

#7 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 10:14 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler

Thomas Wayne wrote:

My long-time ski partner has  size-13 feet and could not get a comfortable fit in the RS-1's. A few years before that he was on FM double boots but suffered a permanent ankle injury; he sold those for 50-cents on the dollar.  Now he uses custom-built Wiley's (which I mounted to a Radar Sequence plate) and couldn't be happier.

With feet that big your options may be limited.  I suspect whatever you end up with may have to be open-toed...

TW

Hey TW

is the Radar Sequence plate a big deal to have?   I just bought a new Radar Strada, but couldnt stomach buying the new boots.  so i mounted my old HO approach boots on it.  The sales rep claimed i needed new boots with the sequence plate, but i could tell he wasnt a skier and didnt really know why or how that would help me.   any thoughts if boots and plate would matter?  i like my approaches and have been skiing well on the new ski

Chris

#8 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 10:26 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Flapjack, you might want to look into Radar's Vector bindings. They go up to your size and are open toe. Otherwise go with the Wiley's. Good ski would be a Radar Senate. Will take you to any line length you want at 34mph. Welcome back to skiing!!!

Whatup33, the Sequence plate is made for the Radar binding system's. Once one of those sets is mounted, the benefit of the plate is that it has universal hole patterns for every manufacturer and nice canting options for your boot setup. IMO the Approach bindings have a very hard forward cant on the ankles but if you are comfortable in them then ski on. You have no need for the Sequence plate unless you change binders but glad to hear the Strada is ripping for you!

#9 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 2:39 AM

ChrisRossi

Since you are used to riding a traditionally shaped ski, my recommendation would be either a 68 or 69.5 Radar Strada with Radar Vector boots size 10-14.  What size is your HO VTR?

#10 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 5:02 PM

flapjack

ChrisRossi wrote:

Since you are used to riding a traditionally shaped ski, my recommendation would be either a 68 or 69.5 Radar Strada with Radar Vector boots size 10-14.  What size is your HO VTR?

I've ridden Ronix wake bindings for years and loved them, so I was partial to trying out the Vector boots.  I got to try some on locally and loved them... bought them on the spot.

I think my VTR is a 68.  I see there are 2009 RS1s in 68" for ~$600.  Is the RS1 that different than the Strada?

Thanks for the advice from the rest of you guys.  I've got the binding part, now I need to find some 68" skis to test drive in the Dallas area.

#11 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 5:11 PM

ChrisRossi

The Strada is very different from the RS1.  Find a 68 at your local dealer and give it a rip!

#12 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 5:12 PM

Thomas Wayne

whatup33 wrote:

Hey TW

is the Radar Sequence plate a big deal to have?   I just bought a new Radar Strada, but couldnt stomach buying the new boots.  so i mounted my old HO approach boots on it.  The sales rep claimed i needed new boots with the sequence plate, but i could tell he wasnt a skier and didnt really know why or how that would help me.   any thoughts if boots and plate would matter?  i like my approaches and have been skiing well on the new ski

We set up the Wileys on a Sequence plate because it is SO easy to adjust fore and aft positioning, and also because we like to try as many new skis as possible.  The Sequence plate lets you mount your bindings to the ski with only six screws total (!), making it very easy to jump from ski to ski.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, Jul 30, 2010 7:59 PM)

#13 Sun, Aug 1, 2010 4:56 PM

sethro

So there is a 69.5" Radar Strada???  I've never seen it offered on the Radar website, but I admit that is the only place I've looked.  At 6'5" and 240 lbs that definitely interests me.  Now if they would just offer a size 13 RS-1/Strada boot I might be a customer.

#14 Mon, Aug 9, 2010 6:25 AM

keenie

I am geting back into Salom water sking after 6 years. I am 6,1 185lbs 10usa shoe. My last ski was a friends Obrien worldteam 2  rtp and rubber slip in binding.I am no pro nor have i done a salom course and don;t under stand wot you mean about 22 off or 28 off...... All i no is at the time of sking the rpm was 6000 on a 90horse mercury and a standed ski rope.I wont to buy a pro ski as i dont lack ability and love to cuve I have a couple of skis in mine RADAR STRADA or the SYNDICATE with double exo pro bindings. I noticed that on my good side that I raised my heal and dug the ball of my foot into the turn is there a boot that compensates this....go hard or go home'

can't wait for your feed back

#15 Mon, Aug 9, 2010 12:46 PM

ChrisRossi

Sthro, we are developing a size 13 Strada boot now.  The 69.5" Strada is new to the line up for 2011 and will be a big hit for the taller crowd.

Keenie, I would suggest a 67 Strada with size 10 Strada boot.  If you are used to the toe slip in the back, I would recommend sticking with that over learning to ski with a double boot.  Two of the top five skiers in the world ski with a rear toe loop.  We offer two different toe loop options.  Check them out:

http://radarskis.com/boots.html

Board footer