Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jul 17, 2010 12:45 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

The Jump to 32 Off

Hello Fellow Bouy Chasers.
  I've acomplished my goal for 2010, 28 off at 34 mph. Now the big jump tp 32 off. I'm having a couple weeks recoup time as i had mysurgery Friday, so 2 to 3 weeks thinking time before hitting the water again. What do i really need to think about for that jump to 32 off? I'llbe watching and studying videos like crazy, but everybody has different techniques. Would be so cool to hit my new personal best this year. Thanks for the input.
  Love This Site.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#2 Sat, Jul 17, 2010 5:17 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: The Jump to 32 Off

Ski it the same way you ski 28' and you will do just fine!

#3 Sat, Jul 17, 2010 9:09 PM

2gofaster

Exactly! Same as 28.  You'll have a tendancy to want to whip your upper body and push on the ski at the apex on a new pass. Resist that urge and just ride the ski around on soft legs.

Shane Hill

#4 Sun, Jul 18, 2010 11:49 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond

I agree with Colin and Shane... Also make sure you are up on the boat for the gate and you turn in on the front foot in order to get good angle in order to get a good one ball!  I also think it helps to be patient, sometimes we rush things when we chop the line...  Rest up and you will be ready to run your 32's:-)

Kim

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#5 Sun, Jul 18, 2010 1:23 PM

2gofaster

One thing my coach did when I started getting into 32 was that he would randomly opt me up without telling me.  I'd go out at 15 or 22 and he would randomly shorten it to 32, bypassing 28. He's even gone from 22 to 35 without telling me.  With a shock tube, it's hard for the skier to tell what line length it is.  And especially hard to tell with a black masterline rope.  You'd be surprised how easy 32 feels when you think it's 28.

Shane Hill

#6 Mon, Jul 19, 2010 5:16 AM

Chef23

My big problem is pulling too long into my offside at 32.  I don't trust that I am going to have enough width and I come screaming into 2 ball.  The two times I have run 32 recently I worked hard behind the boat then changed edges and held onto the handle.  When I did that the ski casts out and turns nicely.

#7 Mon, Jul 19, 2010 2:45 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

The gate is the key.  Let me repeat:  the Gate is the key!  There is a tendancy for skiers to try to turn-in hard for the gate at shorter line lengths.  Don't do this.  From a wide position, make a nice turn-in and build angle all the way through the second wake and then begin to make your edge change.  If you build angle too early on your turn-in, you will fall behind on the boat after the second wake, therefore making you late to 1.  You need to attack your turns, just don't do it too early on your turn-in.  I think 32 is more mental than anything, as there is still plenty of rope to get you to the buoy.  Don't get me wrong, it is a jump, but the one to 35 is way harder, IMO.

Also, don't waste too much time attempting 32 over and over.  Spend the majority of your time perfecting 28 over and over until you can run it most of the time.  It is much easier to work on technique at an easier line length.  I find that for myself, all my good technique goes out the window at my hard passes.

Last edited by jamisonsbrodie (Mon, Jul 19, 2010 2:51 PM)

#8 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 1:16 AM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb
Foot Forward: LFF

so how wide is everyone at 32' from the 2-4-6 bouy line? Im having a hard time on my gate, I have heard dont load too soon and also that my gate needs to be more aggressive than 28 so I need some course time to try everything

#9 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 12:21 PM

2gofaster

I am a few feet outside the buoy line pulling out at 32.  That puts me at about the middle of the engine box on the boat in my glide.

Shane Hill

#10 Mon, Jul 26, 2010 2:07 PM

Skiboy

Thanks for all the input, gives me alot to think about untill this knee heals up. Can't wait to rip it up.

#11 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 3:11 AM

Chef23

I just ran 32 again on Sunday for the third time and I had a killer gate.  I did what Jamison talked about and got up high on the boat then made a nice smooth turn in and built speed through the gate.  The conditions weren't great and I ran it nice and smooth.

Now 35 on the other hand kicked my ass.  I never got a good feeling gate and couldn't get more than 1.

#12 Tue, Jul 27, 2010 2:55 PM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb
Foot Forward: LFF

I ran my first 32 at 36 mph last night!!! It was my last pass in rolly conditions due to the high water. I was outside the bouy line by 2-3 feet, not as high up on the boat as I wanted but I went with it. Turn 1,2 were a little too much and then I calmed down and ski smoother and ended up running the pass.  My best before that was 4 @32' so I pumped. I used a new gate technqiue that I had just learned that gets me a ton of angle with hardly any line tension, its sweet. Its like a T-mo sytle 2 handed gate.

Last edited by rq0013 (Tue, Jul 27, 2010 2:57 PM)

#13 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 2:03 AM

laz

skiboy, I'm still working on '28.  Just made the pass once with a very helping head wind, but have gotten 4 or 5 quite a few times.  I find the gate to be the most important part of '28. 

Only tried '32 once (got 2). 

BTW, I'll be on Halls Lake, about an hour north of you for the second week of aug.  Should have a course up all week.  If you are up for the drive, come visit.

#14 Thu, Jul 29, 2010 1:58 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

laz wrote:

skiboy, I'm still working on '28.  Just made the pass once with a very helping head wind, but have gotten 4 or 5 quite a few times.  I find the gate to be the most important part of '28. 

Only tried '32 once (got 2). 

BTW, I'll be on Halls Lake, about an hour north of you for the second week of aug.  Should have a course up all week.  If you are up for the drive, come visit.

Laz where are you going to put it? 

I have family on the south side of the lake right where the river comes in, directly across from the boat launch.  I had my boat in there last weekend.   we dropped into boshkung sat/sun mornings to use the course there also.

can't ski right now due to tendonitis in my rotator unfortch..

#15 Fri, Jul 30, 2010 1:14 AM

Skiboy

Hey Laz.Surgery is recovering nicely, hoping to be back on the ski 2 to 3rd week of August at the latest. See the surgion again Tuesday to see how the healing is coming. Will do my damndest, would be great .
   Doug

#16 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 6:45 PM

bruce emery

Get a 30 off loop. Nobody says you have to go directly to 32. (unless your at a tournament) It's a bit harder than 28, but not quite 32. Works well for me. Instead of struggling at 32, I can run all six at 30. Then when I go to 32 it does'nt feel so radical.

#17 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 2:48 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

I ditto the 30off loop. I just moved the switch and 41 off lengths up in front of the 28off rope so when on the 41off loop it is actually 28 off and I can step to the switch loop which takes me to roughly 29.5 off then to the 28 off loop which is close to 31off. An easier way to step up slowly, for me anyway, when I get the 31 off down, I will move the 41 off and switch loop back in place and go to the 32 off loop.

Shorter rope is so cool!lol

Ski hard or save the gas

#18 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 11:33 AM

Skiboy

I like the sound of that 30 off loop, cool.

#19 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 1:08 PM

rdl
Foot Forward: right

The mid loop is a good idea, also slow the boat some, speed controls will go partial speeds. But the real message is that there are technique flaws that limit everyone at some point. If you want to ski the same keep doing the same things...but if you want to get better, something you're doing has to change. You somehow have to figure out what that is. Whether it's self analysis,
video, coaching, reading, watching other skiers, or just plain old trying different stuff.

Board footer