Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:40 PM

jeffduck

Putting on double high-wraps without a platform

I haven't skied in a number of years and currently have a recreational boat without a platform. Putting on my ski is now an exhausting and comical event. I'm used to using dish soap to get my ski on but can't do that in the water and not sure if it's a good idea to do it in the boat. I'm afraid I'll swing the ski around and either get caught on something then fall overboard or cut the boat interior.

It may be a bit of a simple question but I'd like to hear how anyone else without a platform deals with this.

Much thanks.

#2 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:54 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Putting on double high-wraps without a platform

Thanks for joining, and for posting, Jeff!

You've got your self a little bit of a dilema, eh? Exhausting and comical is probably correct.

In all honesty the best fix would probably be to look into an aftermarket swim platform. Even if it's only a small platform to the one side of the engine, or even on the side of the boat, having SOME sort of platform to put your ski on is going to be easier. Past that, you could try to put one boot on in the boat and then do the second one in the water. But probably the easiest solution would be to simply start from a dock when you're going to ski.

#3 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 3:34 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I think I remember seeing someone use KY jelly about 20 years ago that had a boat as you have described. It might stay on long enough to get them on before dissipating. You should read the package to make sure it is water soluble.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#4 Mon, Jul 12, 2010 3:52 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

before we had a ski boat, we would put the skis on IN the boat and get someone to help carry the ski over the side.

another option would be to purchase new boots that are easier to get on in the water, without soap.  RadaR Vector boots are some that come to mind.  Still not crazy easy to put any dbl boot system on in the water.

better yet, trade in the current dingy on one of the many good used & inexpesive tow boats for sale all over the USA

#5 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 2:53 AM

skibrain

I had an 16' boat with outboard for quite a few years. I built a small "ski platform" just to the side of the pylon on the rear deck, same side as the ladder.  I used a couple of 2 x 6's with 1 x decking, stained and varnished it to match my teak trim, then added some rubber grip tape to protect the ski.

It was just big enough to stand on with the ski. Holding onto the pylon to steady yourself.  Oh yeah, still have to fall or jump sideways off the back of the boat to get in the water, but it worked.  This photo isn't a great angle but you get the general idea.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/8416268/359840518.jpg

Also used to do this across the open bow of my BILs boat. Necessity is the mother of invention.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL680/2877032/13116652/278567871.jpg

Last edited by skibrain (Fri, Jul 16, 2010 2:58 AM)

#6 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 12:57 AM

arturo
Skis At: Bullards Bar Reservoir

Hi Jeff, I discovered a nice product after ripping the loops out on my front wrap-style binding.  It is called Trislide Skin Silicone Spray by SBR Sports.  It is a product designed for tri-athletes and scuba divers to make getting out of their wet suits easier.  I used it for the first time this past weekend and it was awesome.  Unlike Newt Juice, you can actually slip right out of the binding even after skiing.  Works perfectly and won't harm rubber, neoprene, nor does it stain fabric.  BTW, I read somewhere that dish soap can cause the rubber material to dry out.  Give it a try, it would be a lot cheaper, as a temporary fix, than installing a swim platform.

Last edited by arturo (Thu, Jul 22, 2010 1:01 AM)

**ACS**

#7 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 7:48 PM

dwallar

My boat is a Starcraft 196 Superfisherman.  I put my ski on in the boat with Binding slime right near one of the gunwhales.  I then sit on the gunwhale and ask someone (spotter or driver) to just flip the ski up and over as I fall over the side.  I'm a scuba diver too and so it feels a little less graceful but it works.  The PROBLEM is if you come out in a crash.  You have to get in the boat, dry off your feet, put on more slime, get back into the boots, and go through the whole thing again...this is when you discover how much you love skiing!

#8 Thu, Jul 22, 2010 8:15 PM

dwallar

Hey Arturo,

I saw your note about the Trislide stuff.  Do you think there is any risk of coming out of your boots with this stuff in the course of normal skiing?  It sounds like you'd come out easier in a crash which is fine since, as you say, it is easier to get back in, even in the water.  I like the sound of that.  But I was just concerned that it's so slippery you could come out just crossing the wake.  I have double high wraps and I don't come out easily in a crash...it would be nice to know that if I crash I will come out easily but it's no problem....just slip right back in again.

Your thoughts?

#9 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 4:24 AM

arturo
Skis At: Bullards Bar Reservoir

dwallar wrote:

Hey Arturo,

I saw your note about the Trislide stuff.  Do you think there is any risk of coming out of your boots with this stuff in the course of normal skiing?  It sounds like you'd come out easier in a crash which is fine since, as you say, it is easier to get back in, even in the water.  I like the sound of that.  But I was just concerned that it's so slippery you could come out just crossing the wake.  I have double high wraps and I don't come out easily in a crash...it would be nice to know that if I crash I will come out easily but it's no problem....just slip right back in again.

Your thoughts?

Hi dwallar, if your binding is properly fit, I would say that it is highly unlikely that you would slip out.  It has a similar feeling to the non-greasy sunscreens.  It is an aeresol, a little slick, but not slippery so you can easily control how much you are applying.  The trick is that it doesn't rinse off completely in the water.  I think it absorbs into the skin while you're skiing so by the time you finish there is just enough of a residue (very clean, no build up) to be able to slide out of the binding when finishing a set.  For me, it gives me enough room to wiggle, that's all (see Skibrains pic above standing on the bow, I have very similar style bindings, older D3 High Wrap...no laces).  And it is environmentally friendly.  Just make sure you store it in a cool dry place.  For $10, you can't go wrong giving it a try.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com. smile

Last edited by arturo (Fri, Jul 23, 2010 5:51 AM)

**ACS**

#10 Fri, Jul 23, 2010 3:04 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

You're not going to slip out unless you fall. During normal skiing, you almost always press down on the ski and twist a little. This is how boots like the Prodigy and the Strada are able to work without permanently strapping yourself in. 

I could see the silicone being problematic IF it is so slippery the rubber of the bindings can't grip your skin. I seems that it should be a good option though.

But here's where I'm coming from. When I was using Wiley's there was a time I got rushed and didn't get the soap out: the normally perfect boot was a sloppy mess. Similar thing happened when I was in Animals. Because the soap wasn't washed out, I tightened the laces further and I couldn't pull the boots off at the end of the set (My goal with animals was to always be able to pull the bindings off without undoing the laces)

Board footer