Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 7:13 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Water Ski Injury Database

Now, there is a place you can record any water ski injuries.  The survey takes 45 seconds to fill out, and the results will be posted on 8/1 on the waterskiforum.com and proskicoach.com.  Which Ski/Bindings will record the most injuries?  Fill out the survey,and find out soon!  Click on the link below for survey.  Thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JH95VMP

#2 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 7:38 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Re: Water Ski Injury Database

Great idea Dan! We need measurable info

#3 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 8:12 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler
Foot Forward: Right

I just filled out your survey.  On question six i think, that asked "type of injury",  i put in a hyerextended knee in the "other" section, but it would not allow me to submit the survey unless i marked a box.  so i finally just marked sprained ankle.   thought i would let you know in case you can still edit the survey to fix that.  thanks

Chris

#4 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 8:17 PM

danbirch
Slasher

Thanks, Chris.  I have made some adjustments to the available answers based on the early users.  I will also fix the bug you mentioned.

#5 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 3:18 AM

danbirch
Slasher

Day 1 of the Water Skier’s Injury Survey has been Very Successful!  If you haven’t filled out the survey, please do so, as this will help with more accurate graphs.  Here is a preliminary report of Day 1 results.  A comprehensive report will be made on 8/1.

30 skiers have participated.

Reporting Skiers were split between advanced course skiers (35off +), and intermediate course skiers (22off – 32off).

The Most injuries have occurred on HO Skis (32%).

The bindings used in most injuries have been reported to be HO Approach (22%) with Fluid Motion a very close 2nd (18.5%).

The leading injuries so far have been Sprained Ankles (36%) with a wide range of other severe injuries, including a broken back.

There is currently a 4-way tie for the Cause of Injury (each with 25.9%) between Hit Ball, Fall (near ball), Out-the-front, and Bindings didn’t release.

75% of the injuries reported were considered to be “Serious”, taking over 1 month to heal. (18% were reported as “Very Serious” with permanent damage).

Again, this is in the very early stages, so please, if you haven’t filled out the survey, please do so if you have any injuries to report.  Thanks!

#6 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 1:25 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

This info is interesting! Let me ask you, you're stating that the the Approach and the FM bindings have the most injuries logged. Are these injuries a direct reflection of system failure or is it that there are more injuries logged in by people using these bindings because they're so popular? The same goes for HO. I find it hard to believe that HO has had that kind of failure rate that caused injury. Thanks for collecting this data Dan!!!

#7 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 1:37 PM

danbirch
Slasher

Steve,

I will give a more comprehensive report of the survey later.  The survey (in the very early stages) was showing a clear lead of HO Skis and Approach Bindings of most injuries reported.  Unfortunately, I am currently battling with a username "Brent" at waterskiforum.com, who is trying to sabotage the survey, as apparently, he didn't like the initial report, and is trying to disrupt the outcome of the survey.  I will keep you posted.

#8 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 3:54 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Well that's a load of B.S.!!!

#9 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 5:41 PM

2gofaster

I see where Brent is coming from, to be honest with you. You made a comment that the most used binding in an injury is an HO approach. But how do you filter that? Because I had a shoulder/back injury that had nothing to do with an injury. So because I had an injury and skied on an RS1/Strada, my injury makes the radar/strada type seem to have more injuries than they'd be directly attributable too.

Shane Hill

#10 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 6:24 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Maybe a section asking if the ski or Binding or Handle, Vest etc... was the direct cause of the injury in the skiers Honest opinion, could be helpful. As most of my serious or minor injuries were not the direct cause of my equipment. (just Dumb Luck!) i.e Back or rib injuries by hitting a Ball vs. an ankle injury caused by non release...

Maybe some data on the most popular Brands of all equipment used by those surveyed.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#11 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 8:36 PM

danbirch
Slasher

h20dawg79 wrote:

Maybe a section asking if the ski or Binding or Handle, Vest etc... was the direct cause of the injury in the skiers Honest opinion, could be helpful. As most of my serious or minor injuries were not the direct cause of my equipment. (just Dumb Luck!) i.e Back or rib injuries by hitting a Ball vs. an ankle injury caused by non release...

Maybe some data on the most popular Brands of all equipment used by those surveyed.

I agree with that question.  It would be good.  The survey only allowed 10 questions.  The purpose of the survey is simply to see if we have any trends in water skiing injuries today... nothing more, nothing less.  When reading the actual reports, you can, however, tell if the bindings may have actually took a role in the individual problem. For example, where someone reports, "Severe Sprained Ankle", from a Fall at the wakes, and Bindings didn't release, then it is likely that the bindings MAY have played a role in that injury. 

If we have a common trend, where many skiers are reporting very similar injuries, with like products, maybe we can see the trend....

#12 Fri, Jul 9, 2010 8:42 PM

danbirch
Slasher

2gofaster wrote:

I see where Brent is coming from, to be honest with you. You made a comment that the most used binding in an injury is an HO approach. But how do you filter that? Because I had a shoulder/back injury that had nothing to do with an injury. So because I had an injury and skied on an RS1/Strada, my injury makes the radar/strada type seem to have more injuries than they'd be directly attributable too.

Shane,

While it won't likely be a perfect survey, it is only to see if there are any trends.  There will certainly be many unanswered questions, but at least, it's a start to see if we have any ski accident injury trends today.  The Internet can be a powerful tool,  I believe there are trends, so why would this knowledge be bad for us?

#13 Sat, Jul 10, 2010 1:17 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I'm certainly not knocking the survey. I took it. Information is the King of our present day society. So, it may be an imperfect survey, but it's a perfect start to acquiring information and indentifying trends. All Good things in time...

Good job Dan!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#14 Sat, Jul 10, 2010 1:08 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

A fellow skier asked some questions and offered to give us the results of what everyone answered. I don't understand why that seems suspicious. I could not imagine anything we say could be used against us or anyone for that mater. This was not a sworn deposition or even a affidavit for that matter. I participated and am eager to see his results. He might refine a second survey and maybe further surveys to help us understand more about this dangerous but fun sport to possibly reduce some of the more obvious dangers to all of us. If he finds flaws in the first then he can learn from that and adjust his next survey. I will participate again. I would hope people do not sabotage his efforts. What happened to the "Golden Rule"?

I have done nothing perfect my whole life and do not know anyone who has, but I don't let that stop me from trying to improve. My long term plans are to die trying to be better than I am at any given point. That goes for skiing and life in general.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#15 Sat, Jul 10, 2010 2:35 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

very well said, Budman!

#16 Wed, Sep 1, 2010 11:58 AM

michel-laws

Thats great idea and i would like to know conclusions drawn through surveys

Board footer