Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Jun 26, 2010 12:39 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Length vs speed question? Strategy

My wife is running her 15 off @32 pretty much everytime,  She runs 22 but goes to 30 mph, and at 32 she gets timid.  At 15 off she looks like she could run 22/28 at 34.  So I am trying to figure out a strategy for her.

She really doesn't care that much about skiing at 34, but I think she would like to be able to ski 28 at 32mph.

She lets the bump at 22 get to her.  We have an 05 outback so I know it isn't that bad

Thanks for any thoughts

Todd

#2 Sat, Jun 26, 2010 2:07 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Length vs speed question? Strategy

Sounds like she is an awsome skier and a fun partner. I would let her push herself. I could learn from her. Be consitant and build muscle memory.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#3 Sat, Jun 26, 2010 7:22 AM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC
Foot Forward: Right

Or, an alternative strategy, a week of ski school as a wedding aniv, birthday etc. surrprise.

Let the pro coach push her into 28 off @ 34 and have your skiing improve at the same time!

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#4 Sun, Jun 27, 2010 3:07 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"
Foot Forward: Right

Hey guys, just wondering.. am i correct in saying faster speed at a longer line is better training then a shorter line at a slower speed?? i know this topic has came up before, but i'm still unsure about a good strategy for building. I am taking lessons at Peace, Love, and Water-skiing, and plan to talk to Corey about it but i also want to know other people's imput smile thanks!!

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#5 Sun, Jun 27, 2010 5:24 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

I think you need a mix of both.  If you are still long line then getting used to your max speed is very important, but if you already ski at your max speed and are just looking to shorten the line its a great idea to drop the speed a bit and work your way back up slowly.  Rossi has posted here that he did the same thing when learning -38 I believe.

setting an "opener" that you get 100% of the time is very important as well, then shorten it up or speed it up.

more importantly I think one needs to ski around 6 buoys 80-90% of the time.  The other 10-20% challenge yourself at the faster speed and shorter lines where you may not get that many buoys.

Open water is a great place to practice the different feel of shorter lines and faster speeds as well.    These are things that have worked for me wink

#6 Sun, Jun 27, 2010 7:17 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

I think that it makes sense to slow down at shorter lengths, I think I will try that with her at 22 off slow it down to 30 and gradually go up. 

And try and get the 15's to 17.7 range then the 22's will feel slow or at least comfortable at 18.5-18.8 right?

But how slow is to slow?

I know i was trying some 38's and she put me down to a 32, she didn't tell me but, I could really feel myself sinking and getting pulled forward off the turn.  Normally that doesn't happen(@ 34mph), but I also got around 3 buoys easily which I normally don't get around @ a regular 34mph.

Thanks
Todd

Board footer