Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Jun 6, 2010 4:46 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio
Foot Forward: Left

In season workout

So I'm wondering what all of you do to maintain your fitness level during the season.

I know skiing itself is a major workout, but I feel like if I don't do something to complement my skiing through the summer my fitness and performance will gradually diminish.

However, I've found this spring that if I try to maintain the same winter workout program (p90x) that my skiing suffers because of the fatigue.

I'm trying to find that right balance...thoughts?

Time to ski!

#2 Sun, Jun 6, 2010 6:35 PM

Sully
Skis At: Mint Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: In season workout

I have a bowflex that I use if I know its going to be a day or two in between my next sets. I also try and get on a tread mill or go for a run every other day. When I go for these runs, I actually sprint for a couple hundred yards, then walk until my heart rate comes down a little bit and then sprint again. I usually go about 4.2 miles doing this. Plus I run up my drive way which is a real burner for my lungs and legs.

Its a struggle though. I'm pretty sore today from three sets yesterday, but I almost feel antsy or guilty if I don't get a decent workout in today.

2008 Malibu Response LXi Currently working on 28 at 36, Ripping with the Strada!

#3 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 4:34 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I've been trying to figure out the same. So far have been doing the following w/ reasonable results this year:
>> running stairs 20-30min when I am not going to ski in the next 24-28 hrs
>> pushups & partially supported dips 2-3 times a week to balance chest & triceps w/ biceps & back (30min)
>> 15-25min stretching 2-3 times a day - have to do this to keep my SI/Lumbar happy

I am also thinking about trying to fit some of the winter type core training in - balance on exercise ball & such - as I think this would help, but haven't got it done yet.

#4 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 8:10 PM

whatup33
Skis At: cutler
Foot Forward: Right

If i were you i would first go make sure you can talk Lebron James into staying in Cleveland.  as far as the workout goes,  try and see if there is a local crossfit gym by you.   I started one this past March and felt great success at not getting very sore thru my first couple sets of the year.  unfortunately i havent implemented it thru a ski season yet, this will be my first.   I've never done p90x, but everyone that has done both seem to really like crossfit cuz its a shorter more intense workout that has great core and all around strength workouts involved.   There are a bunch of clips on youtube if you want to check it out, but dont be freaked out about the youtube clips cuz most of those clips involve people that are total freaks as far as working out goes.

Chris

#5 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 10:27 PM

snow1122

Well, my on season workout based on skiing the weekends only.
If I ski Saturday & Sunday 3 sets each day plus wakeboarding and barefooting in the mix, I'll take Monday off from any type of gym workout.
Tuesday spinning class for one hour then resistance upper lower body workout plus abs, usualy 75 reps.
Wednesday resistance upper body workout with no assist pull ups, 3sets 8-12reps each, 75-150abs plus hanging leg raises.
Thursday spinning class (1hour) then resistance lower body workout plus abs 75 reps.
Friday off.

My 2cents.

Snow

#6 Tue, Jun 8, 2010 6:06 PM

kstateskier

Mountain bike 2 days, Road bike 2 days.  High Intensity workout - weights & big muscle movements twice a week.  Ski 4-8 sets.

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#7 Wed, Jun 9, 2010 12:29 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

S/A,

I would say that it not so much about what you do. But rather "How" you do it and "How much" you do...

Everything is a trade off. Skiing is just another physical (and Mental!) Stress factor. Much like another set or 2 of squats, chest or Back etc... If you enjoy (and that is the key) what you do in the off Season, then you only need to find the right amount of work Load to decrease during ski season so that your Not in a sense "Over Training" and over taxing your system with the added Load of skiing...

Fitness is Fitness no matter how you get or how you maintain it. There is no Magic workout formula that will work across the board for everyone. I'd suggest doing what you enjoy (i.e. "dance with the one that Brung ya"...) but always walk out of the Gym feeling like you still have more gas in your tank. Workout HARD but brief and give yourself adequate rest and nutrition to meet your Recovery demands ...

I'm doing a whole Body wgt. routine w/o every 2nd or 3rd day with skiing mixed in on off days. Of course, I've only been able to get to the course 1 time this yr. and free ski a hand full of times thus far, but it seems to be working rather well. If I can stay Healthy, ski and keep my Bench, Deadlifts and Squats above 300lbs. during the season I'll be a very happy Man!

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Jun 9, 2010 12:32 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Wed, Jun 9, 2010 1:06 AM

slalomskier
Skis At:

I would definitely maintain a solid core workout throughout the season as a strong core is essential for skiing as with any sport I try for a good core workout two days in a row with a one day break in between and the a two day break on sat and sun. I would shoot for a core workout 4 days a week with three off days just make sure to break the workouts up so u can give your body proper rest.

#9 Wed, Jun 9, 2010 11:18 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Today, I went back to the Gym after skiing A Lot Sun. Mon. & Tues. (I really skied a ton of freeskiing and open water drills. So I am very fatigued and even touchy sore in a couple spots...) It was kinda hard to get into my w/o because I knew my body was already very taxed. But, I also didn't want to allow my body any more time away from the Gym. So, to cut the demand or load on my body, I went a little slower (took longer rest periods in between sets.) and reduced the over all set count by a few sets. This allowed me to still maintain most of my wgt. amounts and rep counts.

I don't like going lighter (wgt.) because the body will only give me what I demand of it and I don't want to become weaker. So the above substitutions allowed me to still move the same poundages. But, not the same volume or intensity...

Everything is a trade off and last yr. I let skiing become the 1st priority (thinking that skiing would be a great substitute.) at the expense of my over all physical conditioning. As a result I missed 3 wks. about 3 different times due to Back problems. This yr. I plan on keeping everything in perspective even missing some water time if necessary to keep the w/o somewhere at the top of the list...
"One Hand Washes the Other"...smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Tue, Jul 13, 2010 2:02 PM

ryals_noah

60 day Insanity... Almost perfect to get back in shape for skiing!!

#11 Tue, Jul 13, 2010 3:53 PM

ScarletArrow

ryals_noah wrote:

60 day Insanity... Almost perfect to get back in shape for skiing!!

Just arrived on my doorstep yesterday! big_smile

Time to ski!

#12 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 1:25 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

I thought you were looking for an "In Season Work Out"?

#13 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 12:32 PM

ScarletArrow

h20dawg79 wrote:

I thought you were looking for an "In Season Work Out"?

Well, the p90x has too much weight lifting to be compatible with skiing during the season.

Insanity is all cardio, core and plyometrics (no weights)...which I think should be a good fit.

I'm optimistic...but if it doesn't work then I'll go the customized route and just develop my own program.

Time to ski!

Board footer