Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Thu, May 27, 2010 3:48 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: New GOODE Bubble Buoy

Great job with the constructive objective discussion folks smile

#27 Thu, May 27, 2010 5:26 PM

Thomas Wayne

Actually, "david38off", my factual information comes from the John Seabrook book "Flash of Genius and Other True Stories of Invention, and my personal feeling about the subject come also from my own memories of following the various news stories about the case over the years.

Beginning with the moment Kearns initiated his infringement suits [with Ford & Chrysler] until the day he was paid $10+ million by Ford was about 13 years (not your "30 yrs") and he was in his 60's at the time.  I know, I know... you ordered me to not "call" you on his age, but I can't help it.  I think if you're going to post historical "information" to support your argument it should be accurate, not exaggerated (as you seem inclined to do).  Especially since the historical record is so damn easy to check.

In any event, an inventor protecting his own intellectual property is very rarely about money - rather it's about standing up for what's fair and what's right.  I have to believe that if you heard some noise in your backyard and discovered some scumbag was in the process of walking off with your lawnmower you probably would takes steps to stop him... wouldn't you?  Or would you carefully analyze whether or not protecting your property was financially viable?  Would you stand there with your hands in your pockets wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to avoid mixing it up with the interloper, and instead just go buy a new mower...?

As for "banning" those who express opinions you don't like, it wouldn't be much of a forum if the only members allowed to post here were those who agreed with YOUR opinions.  I mean, I'm sure you'd be very comfortable... but the odds of anyone else learning anything new would have to be greatly, greatly reduced - down to just about zero, I'd say.  Kind of a boring concept when you think about.

TW
(PS: thank you for offering me the last word.)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Thu, May 27, 2010 5:28 PM)

#28 Thu, May 27, 2010 7:23 PM

david38off
Slasher
Skis At: 34 mph
Foot Forward: left

Ok..I know I said I wouldnt respond , but feel I must.  Qouting Wikipedia here.  (paraphrasing actually).  Patent first submitted Dec 1 1964. He sued them(ford) in 1978, Ford case went to trial in 1990.  there were two trials.Ford lost then agreed to settle for 10 million dollars. He then sued Chrysler (in 1992) and after spending 10 million in legal fees was awarded 30 million in 1995.  Hmmm maybe I cant add but 1995-1964 =  31 yrs actually,from time of patent filing to time of final settlement.  Now if you are talking time of suit til settlement 1995-1978=17yrs.  So depends what we are talking about.  I was talking about from time of inventions patent, I guess you were talking from time of suit (sort of).  As for the age thing.. I was being facetious.

As for your banning , it is not because I disagree with you.  Rather it is because I think your interaction with most people on here is confrontational and really has no bearing to the general world of waterskiing.  As for your supposed caring for the safety of skiers, I dont see that.  I just see someone trying to take credit for others accomplishments.  If I am wrong then file your suits and prove it.  But I really dont think many want to hear about it.  I read most posts to get info on technique and new equipment in slalom skiing that is available to try.  The only reason I responded to your post was that I have met Dave Goode and found him to be a genuine guy who seemed truly interested in furthering waterskiing as a sport.  Sure he makes a living at it , but he also seemed to genuinely care about the sport, and certainly enjoys it.  He is also a very accomplished slalom skier, currently ranked 5th in the nation for Men 5.   He has certainly been involved in many new developments besides the bubble bouy that have furthered the sport (not the least of which is his constant attempts to make skis better, glow in the dark bouys, and the powervest, and now the bubble bouy).  As for TW, name one thing you have actually introduced into the sport?  Not patented, but actually introduced?  I am sorry but prior to this post I never heard of you.  Do you even ski?  Cant find you listed on the AWSA website?  Are you a member of AWSA?  Not trying to be confrontational here, but feel if you are gonna make the statements you are making, you need to show your qualifications to make such statements.  But truly dont really think your "pending lawsuits" are what the forums are designed to address.  Just my thoughts. 

I guess i did have alot more to say?  LOL.

#29 Thu, May 27, 2010 9:30 PM

kstateskier

http://ez-slalom.com/cl/wrong.jpg

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#30 Thu, May 27, 2010 10:42 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Uhhmmm" oh ya a safer bouy for us very few water skiers to stay safer with while enjoying what we love to do. Just my two cents.

Step 5.1.1.3: Deep breath in deep breath out. Repeat step 5.1.1.3 until you are feeling some sort of chill (relax) factor.
MC

#31 Thu, May 27, 2010 10:57 PM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

[...] Patent first submitted Dec 1 1964. He sued them(ford) in 1978, Ford case went to trial in 1990.  there were two trials.Ford lost then agreed to settle for 10 million dollars. He then sued Chrysler (in 1992) and after spending 10 million in legal fees was awarded 30 million in 1995.  Hmmm maybe I cant add but 1995-1964 =  31 yrs actually,from time of patent filing to time of final settlement.  Now if you are talking time of suit til settlement 1995-1978=17yrs. [...]

Oh well, hell, if you're going to use fuzzy math like that why don't you just calculate from the time Kearns was born?  That'd be like... almost 70 years!  Then you'd really be "right"... in fact, you'd be SUPER RIGHT!

david38off wrote:

[...]  As for TW, name one thing you have actually introduced into the sport?  Not patented, but actually introduced? [...]

I'll give you two:

1) An easy and practical way to make skier buoys safer and less likely to cause skier injury due to ski impact, and

2) A readily available handle safety system that is currently being used by hundreds of skiers, with more joining those numbers every day.

Okay, "david38off", your turn ...  What actual contributions have YOU made to the sport?

TW

#32 Fri, May 28, 2010 11:42 AM

david38off
Slasher

First of all I said what contributions have you actually made?  Have you actually produced and sold your "handle" system or is it just like the bouy system.  Just because you think hmmmm that would be cool if.... but never do aything about making it happen doesnt give you the right to claim it as your own.  Like I said , if you are correct , then prove it.  Give us the patent numbers for the systems.  File your suits.  If you are telling the truth I will be the first to apologize.  But again, I dont think the forum is for this type of discussion. 

As for what I have ACTUALLY done for the sport.  Well lets see....I belong to the AWSA and pay dues each yr that go to further activities related to waterskiing disciplines of all types.  I am a tournament skier so my participation alone goes to further the sport.  You cant have a sport without athletes.  Also a portion of that money for my entry fee goes to the AWSA which again goes to promoting the sport of watrerskiing. I am rated as a driver, and as a safety
by the AWSA.  So i am able to help out with our clubs tournaments , of which we have 4-5 each summer.  (Keep in mind our "club" has only 7 members right now...so pretty good participation for a very small club).

So while I may not have invented any new Ski systems or devices (then waited for someone else to produce and market them), I feel I have done my little part for the SPORT of waterskiing.  But then again, I have not made any claims that I have done all that much for the sport. So I am not sure why I need to defend my "contributions" to the sport. 

I am still wondering if TW really even skis?

#33 Fri, May 28, 2010 12:19 PM

2gofaster

Can you two let it drop here? Please?

Shane Hill

#34 Fri, May 28, 2010 1:05 PM

david38off
Slasher

ok Shane.  You are right. Point taken and thanks for reminding me what this is supposed to be about.  No more arguments from me.  smile

#35 Fri, May 28, 2010 2:05 PM

2gofaster

Thanks, David. If I had to read one more argument on this I was thinking I'd have to pull out my new Strada and beat myself with it. hehehe

Shane Hill

#36 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:07 PM

Thomas Wayne

david38off wrote:

First of all I said what contributions have you actually made?  Have you actually produced and sold your "handle" system or is it just like the buoy system.  [...]

If you are telling the truth I will be the first to apologize.

Let me be the first to apologize, "david38off", I thought I'd been more clear than that.

So yes, since May 2008 I've actually produced and sold HUNDREDS of our patent-pending ARM-GUARD™ system - which is currently being used by skiers throughout the US, and in many foreign countries.  Before I released the ARM-GUARD™ system there was no commercially available handle safety system anywhere in existence, and now there is a second legitimate manufacturer (US GEAR) and an unauthorized knock-off on the market -  so it's reasonable to say that I single-handedly developed that aspect of the sport.

Also, beginning in the early 2000's I developed and began promoting the concept of partially filling the skier buoys with water - for which I suffered personal attacks from anonymous posters (like you) for several years.  Now, after some intelligent forum members decided to actually try the concept, it's being used at MANY ski sites and has undoubtedly saved many ankles.  Again, prior to my contribution [water "filled" buoys] the only thing being done about skier/buoy impact injuries was a lot of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I also created and published an easy, cheap modification to a garden sprayer for adding the water to skier buoys.  Along the way I put in a good deal of time developing an actual "safety buoy", which is currently patent-pending.

Unfortunately, while I am "in a ski club" (like you), there are no organized tournaments in my state.  So I'm not really able to make the major contribution that you do by competing in tournaments - since the nearest tournament is a $650 plane ticket away (or a five-day drive).  But I still try to do my part for the sport...

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, May 28, 2010 3:10 PM)

#37 Fri, May 28, 2010 3:13 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

roll

#38 Fri, May 28, 2010 4:01 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

are we done yet?

Last edited by StevenHaines (Fri, May 28, 2010 4:01 PM)

#39 Fri, May 28, 2010 5:13 PM

jbski

God I hope not.

#40 Fri, May 28, 2010 7:34 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

next segment of MarcusBrown.TV?

Board footer