Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, May 7, 2010 12:26 PM

2gofaster

Strada binding modifications

I actually liked the feel of my RS1  bindings I'd been on for the last two years better than the Strada. I think it has to do with the thickness of the liners and my long, narrow feet.  With the Strada's, my foot is not held as tightly even after heat molding, which forced me to pull the bungies a LOT tighter around my ankle.  So I ended up with a looser fit around my heel and a tighter fit around my upper ankle. Kind of like the feel I had when I used to run Obrien Bio's. And one thing I learned with the RS1's, was that tight bungees didn't work for me very well. This kept me from being able to drive my knees and ankles forward and backwards.  So, to resolve this I ended up going to REI and finding some thicker SuperFeet inserts to use in place of the stock inserts. In this case, I used Orange inserts. VOILA! Back to the RS1 feel. Now my foot is held lower and not by the ankle giving me the release and feel that I think the system was designed for.  Another thing I did, which I also did to the RS1's, was to untie the knot at the end of the bungee and retie it much closer to the boot.  Basically, I've made the cinch non functional. I put my foot in the binding and flexed forward like I would be in a neutral position, put the bungees on the posts, ran the cinch up against them with a little tension, and then retied the knot against the cinch. I did NOT pull the bungee's tight. Just put tension on them.  Where the knot is tied gives me just enough slack with an easy pull to get the bungee over the post now.  This way my bungee tension is repeatable every time. 

The big symptom I had with the Strada's was that my heel felt loose unless I pulled the bungee's tight. So if this applies to you, you might consider locating some thicker inserts.  I hope this helps.

Shane Hill

#2 Fri, May 7, 2010 4:46 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Strada binding modifications

Shane, I'm a big fan of cleanliness and simplicity. I've known for a long time the first thin to wear out on the RS-1 will be the bungee. A nickel later, I'm going to be broke but who cares? I've been meaning to trim the bungee and tie a knot for a long time. I think I might remember to get that done this weekend.

I totally agree. The bungee is mean to keep your foot in the shell, it is not designed to make the shell fit. If the shell feels loose, it is because your foot volume is not large enough to fill the shell. Instead of pulling the laces tighter, shim your foot up to make it appear as though it has a larger volume than it really does. I would think that you can also get this done with a cheapo insole inside the shell.

#3 Fri, May 7, 2010 5:20 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Strada binding modifications

Your experience is good to know.  I've skied with some guys that don't like the feel of the RS-1's because their feet feel sloppy and they can't tighten the bungee enough.  On the other hand, I love my RS-1's but have always used an orthotic, run the bungee loose, and my foot feels snug in the liner.  Now I know what advice to give those that complain about any sloppy feel.

Travis Ogden

Board footer