Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 4:27 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek
Foot Forward: Right

Moving Up The Line

Hey Guys.
  I'm 51 years old, been course skiing approximatly 10 years, basicaly learing to ski about 15 years now. I'm lucky enough to life on a lake and have my own course out there.
I have taken pro lessons, skied the last 3 winters at Ski Tek. Wade Williams really got me back on the skiing game seriously. Hats off to you Wade.
  Now my question is, i have been really stuck in this 22 off area, what do i need to do physically and mentialy to get my self up to ski in the 32 off range. I really want to progress in this, not getting any younger.
  For u guys out there that are up there, basically what got u there?
Thanks for the input.cool

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#2 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 4:35 PM

tjo

Re: Moving Up The Line

SkiBoy, what ski and binding are you using?  I was a 22 off skier until last year, when I upgraded my ski and bindings and ended up running 32 off a couple of times.  Some of the improvement was certainly an increased attention to the course I had last year, but my new equipment really helped me advance and feel more comfortable.  I'm on a D3 RCX with RS-1 bindings now, coming off an HO System 8, with Approach bindings.

Travis Ogden

#3 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 4:55 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

For me it has been all about time spent both skiing and watching others ski. I have also done a lot of video analysis of myself and pro skiers to help improve upon technique. Physical conditioning, staying healthy, open mind and a obsession to get to the next line length using good technique is my focus.
MC

#4 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 5:23 PM

2gofaster

Last year I went from a couple at 22 on average to a couple at 32 on average. I started the year out skiing at 32mph and worked on nothing but techique. About 1 month before our first tournament I started bumping the speed up .25 mph at a time until I was back up to 34mph.  Over the winter, I got in MUCH better shape, dropped 15 pounds, and I'm already skiing at about my average for the finish of last year on the first couple of sets this year in COLD 42 degree water with a dry suit on.

Shane Hill

#5 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 8:13 PM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

I agree with everyone here... Listening to and watching others is huge...  But also if you are looking at running 32, make sure you can run 22 back to back to back and not just getting through the pass, running it smooth!  Then when you start the adventure into 28 off it is very different, get a friend to video you and then watch the differences from 22 to 28 and you may be able to see something you are doing differently...Use your core and keep the handle low and in comtrol :-) 

Wow easy to say, now to go do it!!!  Good luck and of course stay on Pro Ski coach, everyone here is very helpful!

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#6 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 11:42 PM

Skiboy

Just bought a new ski last week, 69Senate C, Strada boat, rear toe. Been skiing a Maple , hopefully thst was too much ski for the skiing I do. I like the feel of this ski, hopefully it will help me out.

#7 Fri, Feb 26, 2010 12:38 PM

2gofaster

I'm of the opinion that the Senate C is a far better ski overall than the Mapple design. The Mapple is kind of finicky. With the SC, you just get on it and rip.  It is the perfect ski for someone working their way up the line, especially at slower speeds(ie 32 and 34mph).

Shane Hill

#8 Fri, Apr 9, 2010 4:21 PM

RuralHack

Good Job Brother!

When you make 28'off 32 is easy.

Like we always say: the difference between 22'off and 28'off; separates the men from the boys...

To make 28'off consistently you can not "muscle" your skiing anymore. Skiing becomes more of a dance.

You must crisply take advantage of the pull when it is there. You must ride the arc of your ski with purpose when the pull is not there.

Skiing is feeling and not wording...

So, most importantly, you got to clear your mind; Be aware of where the pull is; what the pull is doing to your body; and how it runs through you to your CG. (center of mass)

Be a man and dance!

Arc'it or Park'it Brother smile

I'm like 50 too...

Grew up at a ski school; started teaching old men like me at around 8 years old... I was a better teacher than my coach so I got to ski more if I taught them. wink

#9 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 5:10 PM

Jeanette
Skis At: Hamrick Lake, SC
Foot Forward: left

This is a great post - thanks Skiboy!  I shared a very similar story to yours two seasons ago...stuck in the 22 off rut.  Here is what I did to move up the line.

1)  documented three key areas that needed attention (elbows in, don't reach for the handle, ski to the handle)
2)  worked out over the winter to keep in shape (aerobic and strength training)
3)  started the new season skiing at 34 -22 until I could run it in my sleep (concentrating on item #1 above)
4)  in May started taking "tournament sets" because I personally needed incentive to ski every pass with 100% effort.  If I fell, I started over.
5)  at 28 off slowed the boat to 33 mph and started running the pass!  Slowly increased speed to 34.

For me, setting goals for the season is very important.  It helps to motivate me.  I am also a strong believer in having someone video your skiing.  I find it easier to see what I need to work on if I can see it in a video...but everyone learns differently.

@RuralHack:  I can't wait to run 32 off this season...many people have said, "When you make 28'off 32 is easy"...hope I'm saying it this year!tongue

Last edited by Jeanette (Tue, Apr 13, 2010 7:22 PM)

#10 Tue, Apr 13, 2010 7:55 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Jeanette, if I could add something; when I shortened to -28 for the first time, I became aware of the importance of timing. I remember trying to force myself to be patient at the buoy and NOT rush out of it. I also agree that 28 and 32 are very similar. And in the same way 35 and 38 are similar. I have been off the water for over 3 years while we built house and lake. I am hoping with the new ski technology I can gain so type of consistency at 39. I ran it a few times back around 2001. I don’t know if it was the ski breaking down or me breaking down but either way it got where I could only get several buoys. Back then I blamed it on me because some days I could smoke several 38s like there were nothing and other days they were a struggle. I recently got back on the water and think the new skis are awesome. I am hoping my 52 birthdays want hold me back.

My plan is to put in a training facility. I want to put a TV in the boathouse at the water’s edge so that people can ski two passes with video then review and repeat. I think it is a technique that will help people improve fast. If you are down this way, come ski with us. My wife and I just built a lake about 220’ x 2020’ and surrounded by trees. It is similar to the first Trophy Lake. It always has great water.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#11 Wed, Apr 14, 2010 3:05 AM

Jeanette
Skis At: Hamrick Lake, SC
Foot Forward: left

@Budman - thanks for the invite and I will definitely take you up on that offer very soon.  Your place sounds amazing...I'm sure you all poured your energy into it!   If you plan to hold any tournaments, give me a call .... I have a Sr Scorer rating for 3 event and Reg Judge for slalom.  Looking forward to meeting you and your wife.  Likewise, my husband and I ski on a private lake in Pelzer, SC and if you are ever up this way, you can count on a ski pull.

#12 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 5:33 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL

Bud Man
  Is that offer open to the public. I have an office in CLT and travel Hwy 26 to get there. Don't get up there very much maybe 3 times a year. Would like to stop by on the way up and or back and ski a little.
Josh

"It is what it is"

#13 Fri, Apr 16, 2010 2:32 AM

Skiboy

Its nice to be sble to discuss other peoples progress in what u are trying to acheive. Course should be in a  few weeks as soon as the water warms up to retreive the lines. Am looking forward to a new outlook on skiing.

#14 Fri, Apr 16, 2010 5:19 PM

slalomskier
Skis At:

anyone interested in a Radar Senate C send me an email I have 65 for sale details are in the for sale area of this forum

#15 Fri, Apr 16, 2010 11:15 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Come by and ski Josh.
You are not "the public", you are a Power User!
Bud

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#16 Sat, Jul 17, 2010 12:49 PM

Skiboy

Just reading this post where i was moving up to 22  and 28 off, should all aply to 32 off too. Its great all these old posts are saved

Board footer