Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 1:14 AM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Senate vs. Lyric

Looking to purchase a ski for my wife and have all but decided to go with either a Senate or a Lyric.  Does anyone know how these two compare?  From my research, it sounds like they are built out of the same mold, but the Lyric will be more forgiving.  She has free skied her entire life and just started trying the course last season.  She skis the mini course no problem, but is struggling to get more than 3 or 4 bouys in the full course at 15 off and 28 mph.   With an upgraded ski I think she'll be running all 6 (right now she's on an old HO PSX - yes that ski with the silly powerstix system that they only made for a year or two).  I know the Senate will rock, but will the Lyric be enough?

Travis Ogden

#2 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 2:37 AM

ChrisRossi

Re: Senate vs. Lyric

The Lyric is the female version of the Senate.  It is slightly softer and has a different graphic.  Not going to go wrong with either ski.

#3 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 2:05 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Travis,  The only other very minor consideration is that  (if she tends to upgrade skis often) it might be a little tougher to sell a ski w/ women's graphics on the other end.  I'm going broke upgrading skis for my rapidly growing daughter (who is more concerned w/ color than function), and it takes quite awhile to find a buyer for the old ones. 
She is fixated on that new Lyric and boots.  Once she outgrows her 65" Siren, that 67" Lyric hopefully will be her next and last ski for awhile.
But another thing to factor, if I am not mistaken, is that it appears the Lyric may be priced more competively then the Senate.

#4 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 3:03 PM

tjo

Thanks Chris.

Davemac, I was thinking the same thing.  My wife's the only female in our family, and I'm certain none of my boys would want to "grow into" the Lyric.  But my wife would certainly dig the graphics of the new lyric.  I'm looking for a 65", so if you are looking to off load that 65" Siren, shoot me an email and let's chat. I'm not familiar with that ski, but if the price is right, I might consider it.

Travis Ogden

#5 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 3:40 PM

davemac

Sorry bro, I just picked up the Siren (women's HO Triumph) on leftover, for daughter to start this year off with  (and just sold her 64 Esprit on ebay).  Supposedly this 65 is  good for up to 140-150 lbs.  I'm hoping she doesn't get much taller/bigger.
I hate to have too many skis in the boat...thus just grabbed a 67" Theory to "kill 3 birds w/ one ski" (-wife can use it, -it is a forgiving "boat ski" for guests, -and I can occasionally mess around on it to work on technique at slower speeds). 
It sounds to me, Travis, that the critical factor to consider will be how appreciative your wife will be of having her own ski.

Last edited by davemac (Wed, Apr 7, 2010 3:42 PM)

#6 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 3:58 PM

tjo

She'll dig a new ski, eventhough she doesn't know it yet.  She demo'd the D3 rose about a year ago and loved it.  Problem is she's too cheap to buy herself one, so I think I'll make it a Mother's day present.

Last edited by tjo (Thu, Apr 8, 2010 2:19 AM)

Travis Ogden

#7 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 4:20 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I had to double take when you said 67' for a ladies ski. That's huge for me, even at 28mph, and i'm under 160lbs. We were discussing this in a thread on the Senate and Chris Rossi shed a little light on the sizing. Take a look at the speed range they are using with the Lyric. The floor speed on the lyric is 24 mph! If your daughter or wife is staying around 28 mph and up, 65' should be enough to support +/- 150lbs.

Something to consider would be buying the mens ski and then buying graphics from Terry Winter (skiskinz.com). You'll bump your price up by $120 but you'll get more personal graphics and you won't be limited to selling to someone that wants a pink ski.

Last edited by HO410 (Wed, Apr 7, 2010 4:24 PM)

#8 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 6:19 PM

davemac

HO410,  I understand what you  are saying and appreciate your input.  I did read that thread you reference, and found it informative. Perhaps I was trying to over-rationalize the purchase of the 67 Theory for my own needs (as a second ski).  Wifey will have the option of using either the 67 Theory or the 65 Siren.  My guess is she will have an easier time getting up on the Theory, but will be more comfortable on the Siren.  She double popped both hamstrings getting up last year so we have to overcome that mental obstacle.
Anyway my daughter is only 11, but has been off the charts since day 1,  currently 5-5, 140.   Trust me, if she stopped growing today, I'd be cool w/ that (I'm barely 5-10 and starting to feel threatened by her).
Cheers,
Dave

#9 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 6:51 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

You can never have enough skis. Rationalizations are not needed.

Strained both hamstrings? My legs hurt just thinking about that. I've done one and that stinks. After that injury I worked real hard to get the lower body flexible. Once I got back, I took a really simple approach. Don't push against the ski at all. When the boat goes, the ski pushes in to the point that I almost sit on it. I don't even think about standing up until the ski planes off

#10 Wed, Apr 7, 2010 8:15 PM

davemac

Yeah, her Hammies were done last July.  Regretably, she did nothing about it right away.  Still having problems, and just recently got through some PT, and slowly easing back into pilates, reformer, etc .
I'm w/ you on the starts, my thought is to try to curl up like a ball, let the boat do the work, and don't try to stand til on plane.

#11 Thu, Apr 8, 2010 12:35 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

I'm with HO410 - you can never have enough skis! I bought my wife the 65" Lyric and boots for Xmas and then found a 65" D3 Rose and bought that for her too. This way, when Radar comes out with the new version of my Strada, I can buy that and rationalize with her since she has two, I get two big_smile The Lyric w/ boots is a steal in my opinion and would make any wife or daughter very happy.

Last edited by Digger (Thu, Apr 8, 2010 12:35 AM)

Ski hard or save the gas

#12 Thu, Apr 8, 2010 12:45 AM

davemac

Digger,   Brilliant... You are a wizard in the art of husbandry.  My wife just spotted my new Strada and inquired as to what something like that cost.  I replied..."uh, not much more than a new set of golf irons".  (Having separate bank accounts is the only way to go)

Last edited by davemac (Thu, Apr 8, 2010 1:11 AM)

#13 Thu, Apr 8, 2010 2:21 AM

tjo

Digger, that's awesome.  So what kind of "deposit" do I need to make in her bank account so that I can upgrade my boat?

Travis Ogden

#14 Thu, Apr 8, 2010 2:47 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

A Mercades haha.

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#15 Tue, Jul 13, 2010 11:58 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn

Bumping this thread up...

Travis,

Did you end up getting the Lyric for your wife? Was it fast enough for her coming off a mens ski?

The reason I ask is I made a deal with my daughter last weekend, when she runs a full 32mph 15off pass I will buy her a ski of her own.

I recently moved her from a 65in HO Vengance (jr ski) to my old 66in Obrien Sixam SS. She has improved a lot on the Obrien but it is a very fast and unforgiving ski.

She is currently running 24-26 and 28mph passes w/o a miss so I think I am going to have to pony up for a ski soon.  Looking at the Lyric maybe the D3 Rose or just another more forgiving mens ski. Oh minor detail, she is 14yrs old and weighs about 100lbs.

Thanks for any insight guys it seems as though information on female equipment is not very easy to find.

#16 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 4:55 AM

tjo

Essvar,

I ended up purchasing a Radar Senate C for her.  Found a demo on ebay for a screaming deal and couldn't pass it up.  At first it was really weird for her...she only made 4 passes on our first set out and then had to come back to the dock.  I quickly learned that she was not use to the new bindings on the Senate (Rails).  She was using old school rubber bindings on the old ski and just wasn't use to the proper stance that the newer bindings put you in (forward lean).  After I explained that, and what her body position should be, she began getting used to it.  Now she loves the ski and her skiing has improved and continues to improve each time out. 

Sounds like your daughter is quite the skier.  I don't think you can go wrong with the Lyric, Senate, or the Rose, but given her rapid improvement I'd probably be inclined to go with something a little more advanced, like the Senate, Senate-C, or the Rose...especially since she is currently managing a Sixam that is too big for her!

Good luck bro!

Travis Ogden

#17 Wed, Jul 14, 2010 11:40 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn

tjo wrote:

I'd probably be inclined to go with something a little more advanced, like the Senate, Senate-C, or the Rose...especially since she is currently managing a Sixam that is too big for her!

I was afraid you would say that.  Quite a few $$$ more for the Senate-C or the Rose.   I think its a good thing for me that at 14yrs old graphics create better performance than core materials and rocker angles smile

Board footer