Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Apr 1, 2010 6:35 PM

blend_blindside

Is it worth upgrading to the Senate C from a Senate?

I am about 200 lbs and presently ski on a 69" Senate.  I have run the course at 30MPH at 15 off, but wouldn't say I'm consistent at this point.  Would upgrading to the Senate C help me at this speed, or am I just as well off skiing the Senate.  Also, is 69 the right length?

Thanks!

#2 Thu, Apr 1, 2010 6:59 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Is it worth upgrading to the Senate C from a Senate?

Radar's bullet points:
noticeably lighter, more reactive. snappier hole-shot, and more dramatic edge change.

If that sounds like what you'd like, go for it. It will definitely be an upgrade, but do you need it? Probably not. Will it be too advanced for you skill set? Almost certainly no. If you really want someone to give you the thumbs up or down, it would be worth while to take a virtual coaching lesson, maybe even a Radar team skier, and specifically ask what ski would most benefit you.

#3 Thu, Apr 1, 2010 8:01 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I'd 2nd HO410's...

And say @ 30 mph or 15 off you wont see any bang for your Buck. But, @ 30 mph and -28 and shorter a noticable improvement. 34 mph / 15 off  better still, but 34 mph -22 and shorter it will be better and better as you go... 

I'm 195-205 and I have a 69" Theory for 30 mph INT. The reg. Senate is a much better ski for sure and will bring you along to 34 mph. Where as my Theory is tapped out @ 32 mph. So, I switch ski's. A 69" might be a bit big for 34 mph, but I'd say it will be your BFF @ 30 mph and longer line...

Chris Rossi or Matt Rini are the Best @ Radar advice...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Sun, Apr 4, 2010 5:51 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA
Foot Forward: left

I moved from a fiberglass Obrien to the Senate C last season (also skiing 30mph) and have been very happy with the results.  I weigh 180 and am skiing the 67 - I don't think I'd be happy on this ski if I were much heavier, especially as slower speeds. 

But the biggest difference to my skiing was moving from rubber to Radar RS1 boots - I started out on the Senate C with my old boots and once I changed over, that ski really performed differently (for the better).  If you aren't on modern boots - change that first.  Better bang for the buck, IMHO.

#5 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 12:17 PM

blend_blindside

Thanks for the input.  I think my plan for now will be to ride the Senate and look for a used Senate C.  Interesting feedback on the bindings.  I have been using Wileys double-boots.  Does anyone else have feedback on bindings?

Thanks!

#6 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 1:53 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

I agree with Greg, bindings can provide the biggest change (for the better or worse) and are the connection to your ski.   I moved to the RadaR Rail boots last year with great success, and am moving into the RS1s this year, all on the same ski.

FWIW I don't see why you'd spend the $$ on moving from the senate to the Carbon version.   I doubt you will notice any difference at all, especially at long line and slower speeds.  stick with the senate, its a great ski more forgiving for where you are in your skiing as well.  once you get into faster speeds maybe look for a different shape and ski altogether so you can have a good quiver of equipment going.

I was also on wileys and went to the Rail boots.  I can't believe how I skied on those wiley's, actually I can't believe how many people still use them!  they were very uncomfortable for me, offered minimal lateral support & little fell.  Once I put the Rails on I couldn't believe the extra control and movement I had on my ski immediately.  Lots of people use them with great success though.

change 1 thing at a time and work from there.

#7 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 1:59 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

I agree with a more firm binding. I guess another way to look at is; your ski is hearing a “loose” translation of what you are tell it. I am not familiar with how your ski skies, but what ever you ride, watch the people that ski right, and try to put your body in that position. Build good habits from the beginning. Video yourself to check your body position. Get some lessons. Ski and have fun!

Last edited by BudMan (Mon, Apr 5, 2010 2:00 PM)

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#8 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 3:14 PM

blend_blindside

Killer/Budman - thanks for the great advice.  It sounds like new bindings should be my next move.  I've been skiing Wiley's for so long, I've hesitated trying something new.  I'll let you know how it goes!

#9 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 6:49 PM

blend_blindside

Any thoughts on the Strada boots versus the Vector?

#10 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 6:58 PM

Andyb

I'm using last years model the Rail boot with rtp which I think is brillant, comfortable, I release out of no problem as well as great control. I have just bought a secondhand RS1 boot (last years model)  to try a double boot setup, but have used RS1 with the rtp. I have only had one set but as I need a insole fitted but first thoughts didn't really notice too much difference between the two but will have a better idea when i get the insole.

#11 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 7:28 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

If you factor in the additional cost of the intuition liner the boots are priced similarly (at least that's how my screwy brain breaks it down). From a performance perspective I don't think that the RS-1/Strada would be a revelation over the Vector. They will be a little more responsive, but it will be by inches not miles. What you get with the RS-1/Strada that you don't with the vector is: a closed toe (this is big when it's chilly), a custom moldable liner, and nylon on nylon (to release) instead of skin on nylon. The difference in price is +/- $100. I feel like it is a good $100 to spend.

Most modern boots push for increased ankle angle. Look at Approaches or Drafts and you can see what I'm talking about. Both of these are no different. There will be an adjustment period where you learn to keep from leaning against the back of the boot. It is generally a good thing to break that habit, but some just need to be able to stand very tall in the turn.

#12 Mon, Apr 5, 2010 7:55 PM

blend_blindside

Thanks for the input.  I'm getting away from MI next week for ski trip to West Palm Beach.  I'm going to try the Stradas - I'll let you know how the new set-up goes.

Board footer