Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 3:34 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes
Foot Forward: Right

Best time to get coaching?

What is everyone's thought on the best time to get coaching? 

Early season so you have the whole summer to implement what you've learned, mid season so you're in top skiing shape or late season so you can finally get to that line length or speed that you've been chasing all summer?

I'm considering a trip to ski school in early May, but since we still have ice here for another few weeks, I'm concerned that I may not be ready to really maximize the benefits of the coaching.

Thoughts?

#2 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 4:11 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

Re: Best time to get coaching?

I am thinking all of the above would be best smile

I plan on getting coaching throughout this season via Wades Virtual Coaching.  Virtual Coaching seems to be very affordable and can be adapted throughout the season as your fitness and skills increase.

For real life coaching I would think getting help after you have had a few days on the water would be best. That way you have your ski legs under you and can maximize and put into application the information being provided.  Then you can take that information and apply it to your skiing throughout the remainder of the season.

#3 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 9:45 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

I'm with Essvar,
i too am planning on doing virtual coaching, for what you can do with it, the price seems unbeatable!! and i plan on using during more of the early mid/ late early season. because i want my body to be back in ski shape and want to catch up with the progress i made last year. also, i want to do it a little earlier than well into the season so i my nasty habits that I've either - A. created or B. made.  can be fixed, then really improve on my records and skiing the rest of the season. that way i'd have more time skiing correctly. AND i will be able to give the Pro a good sample of my skiing level at which I'm currently at. unlike some shakky runs from the pre season or start of the season... :]

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#4 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 10:05 PM

Andrew1988
Skis At: Where ever I can
Foot Forward: Left

I also plan on doing the video lessons mid-ish season so I have quite a few sets under my belt and have a good feel for how my skiing is going. I had a lesson last year with Thomas Degasperi late June and that was pretty good timing too because I was in good shape. I didn't get too tired during my sets with him and I was skiing quite well at the time so he was very helpful. I hope he is doing this same thing again this year after the Global Invitational in Grand Rapids, MI. Orrrrr if other pros on here would do something like that. I will be there smile

Looking for places to ski in Metro Detroit!

#5 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 7:05 AM

Wakes

I've never gotten lessons for skiing but I think the same logic would apply from other things. I'd try and get them early but not within the first couple sets. Get a few weeks of skiing in so your body gets use to it again so you feel good on the ski -basically get the ring rust off. Then when you think you are starting to hit a stride get some lessons. I think that way you'll achieve more faster and leave lots of room for further improvement as the season goes on, whether you want more lessons later or not can be decided as you progress.

#6 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 3:23 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

As far as getting coaching in person, best times are at the beginning and the end of the season. Use the trip to extend your season.

The bottom line is a pro coach is going to be able to help you significantly no matter what time of year it is.

Virtual Coaching is built so you can work with a pro over the course of the summer... upload a few videos, get some comments, and keep it going. Change up which coach you're using so you can learn as much as you can. If you visit a coach during the fall or the spring, record everything you learn in YourSkiLog, so it will be saved... periodically check back with your coach via virtual coaching to keep you on the right path.

The biggest thing that comes up with this "best time to get coaching" question is, "I don't want to get coaching at the beginning of the season because I'm not in shape". Sure, you're not going to be at your physical peak for the year, but starting fresh with a capable coach is going to set you up for success. By the time you're in 'ski shape' you've taught yourself bad habits. At the beginning of the season, you're fresh, energized, and easily moldable. Even though you're going to need a few sets to get your legs underneath you, your coach will be able to guide you to start the season the best way you ever have.

#7 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 5:32 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

I am going to get some fresh video (if my wife will let me use the camera) my third day out this spring and see if i can select a coach (WW??) on this site to do virtual coaching with. I like the idea of getting input early so my muscle memory has a better chance at doing this thing correct this year. I think this will be my breakout year as i am planning on #1) building core strenght like never before. #2) running 32 in a tourney #3) Skiing in my first ever Regional event #4) Start skiing some -35  #5) See if i can work a trade deal with Wade? coaching for coaching?? LOL  #6) Oh ya having fun and enjoying the ride.
MC

#8 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 6:26 PM

Andrew1988

Number 6 on your goals should be number one!

#9 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 7:01 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Thanks for that correction. I am a little competive.
MC

#10 Fri, Mar 12, 2010 9:27 PM

Andrew1988

As am I but I hate being pissed off leaving the lake and I find I ski much better when I am out there just having fun with others.

Board footer