Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 6:37 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Global Warming??

I am looking for some input from any of you in the south and south east on global warming. Does it feel like your world is heating up lately??????
MC

#2 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:12 PM

EdJohnson

Re: Global Warming??

Mark,
       Here in Orlando this has been the coldest winter since 1958.  Global Warming is a political ploy. Gore has made millions off of it and billions more were to be made if Obama could have passed Cap & Trade.......ED

#3 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

If you drop an ice cube in warm water, is the air above it warmer or colder?

Colder?

We've had the coldest winter in Boston since last century. Polar ice cap sattelite imagery makes it looks like they're shrinking. So... when you add all that cold water in the mix... we wind up with a colder winter?

I'm certainly not a global warming fear monger.. but this seems to make sense to me.

#4 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:20 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

i think i'm with  EdJohnson and WW with this... Virginia has had the longest consistent low temperatures. Normally our winter is up and down with the temp. plus out surplus in snow fall this year backs it all up

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#5 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:27 PM

MChilcutt

Agreed i have a hard time buying into the whole warming thing. I believe in weather cycle's but global warming?? I think a lot of what we see has a lot to do with what the sun is actually doing.
MC

Last edited by MChilcutt (Wed, Feb 17, 2010 7:28 PM)

#6 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 8:20 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Yes, the weather has been getting pretty crazy. I'd be curious to find out what kind, and how many, weather records have been broken.

Warning: academic content below

If one were to go dust off his or her sociology text book, one would notice that the global warming topic closely mirrors any number of societal panics. It was not long ago that global cooling was a serious concern. About 100 years ago, there was a moral panic about alcohol so strong that a constitutional amendment was made to ban the substance; one needs little reminding that this was a great folly.

What I find amazing is that both liberal and conservative are arguing strikingly similar ends but employing different language and means. Liberals want to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide and force the development and implementation of so called "green" technology. Conservatives want to reduce our reliance on foreign oil. I can't get a handle on what the political process is trying to achieve, but I prefer freedom. I'd rather see incentives for reducing emissions instead of levying fines until emissions are reduced. 

Fun stuff huh? I'm curious what the major crisis for the next generation will be.

#7 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 9:03 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

WadeWilliams wrote:

We've had the coldest winter in Boston since last century.

I hadn't heard this....it actually has seemed more mild than usual to me?  Too much time in  FLA can  thin your blood.  No ice in the  Merrimack River right now just north of town.  Also heard Sebago Lk(ME) is still open.   
Now if you said that it has been the "longest" winter in Boston, I'd be onboard w/ that 100%.

#8 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 9:18 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

DaveMac -

We are in agreement. Boston has had the the most consistently cold winter since last century, yet NH has had a mild one for sure. It's pretty weird. Two snow storms ago was predicted as the blizzard of 2010, but we got just an inch here and i don't think you got any snow in NH at all. Providence, RI as well as points south got hammered.

Flax Pond in Lynn Mass hasn't frozen over this thick since the 90's.

Weird.

As far as the global warming question, I think it's been a global climate change due to the solar cylce which is about to be at its highest peak ever in 2011-2012.

#9 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 9:50 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

For those who belive in the global warming, this winter "doesnt exist"  ........

#10 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 11:18 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

I can't confirm this but I heard that our green house output is only about 2% of what the earth puts out naturally.

The  earth on its own has warmed and cooled hundreds of times, I guess that explains why we have flourished in the last few hundred years, no mini ice age.

around 20,000 years ago the  Bering strait was a land bridge, now it is under 50 meters of water or more.  I know we didn't have any part of that.

I like the idea of keeping our planet green and clean, but to say that we have played the biggest part in global warming is nonsense.

Solar output, tilting of the axis, and everything else has a much greater influence.

And if I can get a longer ski season I am all for it.

Todd

#11 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 11:37 PM

MChilcutt

Wade you mention solar cycle can you explain more? If we see a peek in 2011-2012  does that mean we will start to feel the effects of less solar heat in and around our world moving forward?
MC

#12 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 1:15 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

I live 35 min. from Gore's family and NO one around here (all of TN.) is buying anything that slick-ster is sellin'! However, I would like to think we could start doing a lot better for our environment. But, I'm not convinced of this "Man Made" global warming allegation.

About 4 yrs. ago we (in TN.) had the the Hottest and most drought stricken yr. on record. The very following year we had a very early start to spring. But, had a killing frost and some hard freezes in April/May that killed a lot of what had barely survived the drought... Then we went on to have the wettest yr. on record and between last yr. and now we are having one of the coldest periods on record, with Low temps and ave. Low's breaking 80 - 100 yr. old marks and the yr. is still young...wink

So, I'm guessing; if there was anything conclusive about g/w, we would not even have this thread...

P.S. IMHO, Gore simply stumbled on to something a lot more Lucrative to stroke his ego then running for the Presidency again!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#13 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 1:40 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

ToddF wrote:

And if I can get a longer ski season I am all for it.

Todd

i'm with ToddF on this! big_smile

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#14 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 3:51 AM

Zane
Foot Forward: Left

well thats probably why they have changed their terminology to say "climate change" instead of global warming... any idiot out there knows that yes the climate does change...but naturally, has nothing to do with factories and SUV's. do we make an impact on the environment yes... is it at an alarming rate..not at all. They just have to make something to try to scare everyone into thinking that we are going to kill the planet in 10 years if we dont do something now...I just sit back laugh and drink a sweet tea in styrofoam cup...mmmm sweet tea!!!!

#15 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 4:04 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

I would have to say that global warming is BS. From what my grand parents have said all winter long is that this is the kind of weather they had back in the late 30's to early 40's. Also from what I have heard is that the weather patterns run in about a 50-60 year cycles. So from that I would have to say that's about where we are at. I know the weather here in Colorado has been cold for the last 3 years. We used to have 100* days in the summer a lot and we haven't hit that in a while.
    I would sure like that again.

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#17 Fri, Feb 19, 2010 1:08 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

Scot, thats some pretty cool info.!

Interesting how Gore neglected to give the fact that the increased CO2 counts trail the Temp fluctuations by 300-400 yrs.! And cannot cause the warming, because they are a BY-product of the increased temps... (300 to 400 yrs. later!)

Man, talk about an inconveneint truth! (that kinda poop's all over the Hype!)

I still don't really understand the full "Agenda" of the g/w scare.  (Except for the $$$ part...)

Everyone always has some kind of Agenda don't they???

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer