Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 11:00 PM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

broken handles!

Today I had another handle break on me. That's the third one since I started skiing the course 8 years ago. The first one was showing signs of wear and I should've changed it out, but the last 2 were quite new and showing no signs of wear.  I'm not too fond of the handle breaking under a load! sad

I'm just wondering if broken handles are quite common or maybe I'm just a rough skier?  I used to take some hard hits and load the line hard,  but I've improved to where I don't do that very often anymore. 

How long do you guys use a handle?  Ever since the first break, I use them until the rope shows signs of wear or the grip is wore to the metal.

Aaron

#2 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 11:17 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: broken handles!

In my experience handle sections break in two different ways:

1) The side ropes or just down from the v-splice  wear against the edge of the ski(s) and begin to fray; when enough strands have failed a heavy load from pulling or deep-water start breaks the rope at the wear point.  If one of the side ropes breaks it can really suck when the handle is yanked though your grip and out one end. - end result: really sore hand(s)

2)  a rough edge on one of the brass grommets where the ropes pass through the handle bar itself can cause fraying, eventually resulting in a similar failure.  Also a sore-hand outcome.

The only fix I am aware of is keeping an eye on these two areas and replacing (or re-stringing) your handle when you notice signs of wear.  Unfortunately it's impossible to time it so that you quit using a handle right before the rope fails, so you're either going to retire a handle early or you're going suffer the results of a sudden failure.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Thu, Feb 11, 2010 3:15 AM)

#3 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 1:09 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

Maybe just a silly thought but, I like to keep my equip. out of the direct sun light as much as possible.  I try not to leave my handles out in the sun except when in use. The Sun and the elements are very Hard on plastics, Rubber, colors, etc...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 2:23 AM

aslalomboy

TW, I got a chuckle out of your reply because I do have a sore hand at the moment, but it's not so bad as last time. 

And I agree with H2O Dawg - don't leave gear out in the sun!

#5 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 3:25 PM

Griff
Skis At: Richmond Water Ski Club
Foot Forward: Right

I have experienced handle rope failure due to rope handlers at tournaments throwing handes from the boat to shore where they hit rocks or the dock and frey the rope near the point where it goes trough the handle.  I now use handles that have the caps at the ends for protection.

#6 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 9:54 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Aaron, three handles is a lot.   I have broken ropes but never a handle, are you buying the same handle everytime? what brand?

We should get Chris Parrish to chime in, I am sure he puts more force on a handle than anyone else.
Go with the handles he uses and you'll be alright.

doesn't solve the problem, but it's a suggestion.

Todd

#7 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 11:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

TW pretty much nailed this topic -- check yourself b4 u wreck urself.  Handle break down overtime, u need to meticuously check to make sure it wont fail. Only handle I broke had plastic over the rope so you couldn't see what was going on.

And h20dawg made a great point -- keep ur gear out of the sun!

#8 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 8:24 PM

ChrisParrish

yeah TW was dead on , i've only broken a hand full in my lifetime , back in the day when they had the plastic cover over the rope so you couldn't see if it was fraying or not , yeah that went well , i use to get so nervous when I would see jumpers use that handle, could you imagine how bad that would suck going into the ramp ??

The handle I use now are the Radar handles, they have the sickest grip and they last for eva !!

#9 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 10:44 PM

aslalomboy

I don't remember what the first handle was, but I should've replaced it beforehand - it was showing signs of wear.  But the last 2 have really surprised me.  One was a Masterline and I'd been using it about 6 months.  This last one was a Straightline that I bought in November.  The rope was fine but the plastic plug in the end of the handle snapped off flush with the handle

My gear always goes right back in the garage as soon as I'm home from the lake.  Oh well, got a new handle coming from Brenda at jlbmfg.com.

Aaron

#10 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 3:15 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

I saw one of those Straightlines have a similar break last year (rope was fine).

Board footer