Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 2:49 PM

2gofaster

really cold water setup

Ok, so this year we're starting to ski about 45 days before we usually would. And because of that the water is a LOT colder than our norm. This last weekend, the water was 45 degrees.  Normally when we start the water is in the 60s.  One thing I noticed was that on my offside the ski really dumped the speed and hooked the end of the turn.  To the point that it would get behind me until I adjusted my counter on the offside. So what's the thought on cold water setup? Forward with the fin? Move the bindings back? Less wing angle? I felt like I wanted to move the bindings backwards.

Shane Hill

#2 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 2:52 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: really cold water setup

Try the binding move first. Make sure you update your ski settings in your log before you log your set, and you'll have an accurate record of your movements.

Also see http://www.proskicoach.com/gear/cold_water_ski_setup

#3 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:27 PM

2gofaster

Thanks Wade. That's a great article. Interesting in what he says about moving the fin back. I would have thought going forward to take out tip pressure. But what he's saying is exactly what I'm feeling.....that the ski is sucking back behind me in the preturn and into the apex.

Shane Hill

#4 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 1:19 AM

Shark

Cold water is thicker  - like syrup we call it. my lake is murder in the spring the water is so pure on top of being cold (300+ ft deep) with all  the new water from the winter rains.  I bet there aren't many on here that ski big lakes and if you limit your skiing to man-mades you won't see that much of a change.

anyway what happens to the ski?

it hits the water harder so you ride up higher.  the fin and wing are moving through the syrup so it's grabbing way more and the ski is way harder to turn in a short radius. if the change is really drastic you have to drop a ski size (that is what I eventually do). 

for adjustments:  Boots forward to get some front foot contact + fin forward to increase ski slip, reduce wing angle (I remove it until June). also reduce depth and increase length a bit will help.

boots back makes the ski ride up more, but does increase slip, so at least things will be safe (no OTF's) - this move is similar to fin ahead. some skis go off real quick - other skis aren't so bad you can use minimal changes.

#5 Sun, Feb 21, 2010 4:49 PM

2gofaster

Skied again yesterday. Water was 42 degrees. Yikes! We generally never see lower than mid 50s water temp. Anyway, going off of Rossi's article, I added .010 depth and kept the length and dft the same. Also ran 1 degree less wing angle. Ran 22s and 28s.  I had width and a LOT of space in front of the buoy, especially my offside. But with that space, I found I was having to chase the handle on my offside because I was losing momentum. I'd reach the apex and feel as if I had to start reaching forward to be able to keep up with the boat. It was very interesting to see what the increased depth did, though.  Next time out, I'll try a different setting.

Shane Hill

#6 Mon, Feb 22, 2010 4:06 PM

ChrisRossi
Foot Forward: Right

Shane,
     Try going back with the fin without your newly added depth.  Let us know what that feels like.

CHris

#7 Tue, Feb 23, 2010 12:31 AM

2gofaster

Will do Chris. Who knows when that will be. We're supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow. In Houston!!! lol

Shane Hill

#8 Wed, Feb 24, 2010 5:42 PM

Shark

our lake - april super clear (50 ish degF cold!) may, june tough slugging. July starts to come around, late august early sept water softens up skis nice, but still real fast compared to shallow lakes or man mades. october it drops off within a 2-3 week window and this is when the ski really goes off. we hang it up by halloween.

when the ski goes off - we lose the turns,there is not enough water under the front boot and the ski feels very stuck  & heavy at the back end.

so if you add depth you are going to be even more stuck. if you move the fin back, the ski will sit more level (more support at the tail while on edge, putting tip lower) - this is true, but you'll take more away from your turns making them rounder.  so these moves would be suicide on our lake. however, i did notice when skiing practice at the abbottsford tour stop is that the water is so much more forgiving, jump on it and the ski turns in such a short radius.   so you have something to worlk with if you go ballistic in the turns. that's how i would explain that.

going to a shorter ski works for the turns, just like skiing 36 mph vs 32 or 34.

Last edited by Shark (Wed, Feb 24, 2010 5:45 PM)

#9 Thu, Feb 25, 2010 1:25 AM

2gofaster

I'm about to throw a monkey wrench in the plan anyway since I'm planning on dropping a ski size. I've lost 15 lbs over the winter and could now easily get on a 66 instead of a 67.

Shane Hill

Board footer