Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 8:14 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Gloves & Kevlar

Interested to know what the opinion is of the everyday skier with kevlar in the palm.  I used an HO glove with Kevlar the last two seasons and they held up really nice for me.  However, my latest purchase was the HO Empire, which does not have the kevlar in the palm.  They are still in the package so I can take them back and trade for the HO 41 (formerly known as the RPMs) which are the same price and have kevlar.   The non-kevlar gloves certainly feel more comfortable out of the water, but I'm just wondering how they will hold up over time and if I'll notice a difference in grip-ability with the handle.

Travis Ogden

#2 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 8:22 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Gloves & Kevlar

It's pretty much personal preference but:

-> Kevlar gloves will tear up your handle more
-> Non kevlar will tear up your hands more.

I am using non-kevlars right now b/c I can feel the handle more. Personally I haven't had experience with kevlar gloves holding up better than non-kevlars, in my experience the kevlar or palm material isn't what fails, but rather the stitching is.

#3 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 11:35 PM

Griff
Skis At: Richmond Water Ski Club

I agree Wade. The gloves could probably last a while, but the stitching goes in less than a season for me.

#4 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:40 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

For me, the kevlar Connelly Claw gloves were the most durable - they lasted 2 seasons (but I dont think they make them anymore).  Other kevlar gloves have lasted me maybe 1 1/4 seasons while non kevlar have lasted less than a season.

#5 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 5:10 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

I agree with Wade I went through 3 paris of gloves last season due to the poor stitching, I then got some Masterline Kevlar and they are doing great! I got the other gloves cheep , on sale ($10)and they were replaced ever time they ripped so i got $180 worth of gloves for $10 but I want some thing i can relay on so i went with the old trusty Masterlines!

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#6 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:02 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL

I use the Masterline K Plams and they have held up great. They are a little stiff at first but break in well after a set or two. I at least get a season out of them and then some.

"It is what it is"

#7 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:09 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

I'm with Millertime! I get a set of the K palms in June and they last me until the following June. I've done this for the past 5 seasons. They're the best glove ever! IMO

#8 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:06 PM

ScotChipman

I agree with aslalomboy that the kevlar Connelly Claw was very durable, my all time favorite. Since I can no longer get the Claw I use the old HO RPM's (now HO 41 according to Travis) which are my current favorite glove. I also know that Radar use to makes a glove that was just like the RPM's. Kevlar gloves do go through cheap handles faster but if you buy a quality handle it will last. I use to go through two straighline handles a year with the Connelly Claw then swithched to www.jlbmfg.com handles which lasts me two years with a Kevlar glove.

Scot Chipman

#9 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 7:25 PM

jlgray

I had the Masterline Kevlar K-Palms and they are probalby 5 years old and make great work gloves these days still look great.  After about 2 years they were still in excelent shape but the kevlar was getting stiff and was eating up my hands bad as the glove would bunch up bad.  Took me a while to figure out the problem but once I bought new gloves the tearing up of the hands stopped.  Love how well they hold up but found for the sake of my hands had to still replace them still fairly often.  Also as others said they ate through handles pretty bad.  I have since quite with Kevlar as it didn't seem economically feasable.  Eat more handles or cheaper gloves.

#10 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 10:37 PM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

Scot, glad to hear you mention handles from Brenda at jlb.mfg. - it sounds like they're good ones.  My 3 month old Straightline handle just broke on me today. It wasn't the rope that gave but the plastic end cap that the rope attaches to.   

Funny thing is, I just placed an order with Brenda on Monday and it shipped this morning.  So now I'll call her again and get another shipment coming.

Board footer