Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 8:18 PM

skidream
Skis At: Madison, Still Farm
Foot Forward: Left

My winter training!!

Whats up everyone!!

So I live in Colorado and it's a long winter!! To keep fit and active I mostly stay in the gym and lift weights, run 3-6 miles a week, snow board (when I can get up in the mountains) and play basketball. I have noticed that lifting weights is great for the strength and physique it builds but not all that great when water skiing season rolls around and you have all that extra weight on ya! I don't care how long and hard you stay in the gym, you will never duplicate the stress that water skiing puts on the body or at least I haven't!

I think this year I'm going to focus more on staying at a constant weight and just build strength and muscle! I am also going to work hard on my core for the next few months and see if I can get my lower back solid! Also for me last season my biceps were getting really sore and strained.  Not too sure what to do about that? Any suggestions would be great!

Other than that I was thinking about starting to train for a triathlon!? Well that's what I do in the off season and it usually works for me!

Last edited by skidream (Wed, Jan 6, 2010 8:20 PM)

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#2 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 8:56 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: My winter training!!

Ya ski dream! It's great to hear people fired up about winter!

Your goal of keeping a more constant weight is good. 5 extra pounds can definitely make a difference... as we've said here before, thin & ripped is the way to go. The extra bulk doesn't necessarily help you ski better.

As far as the biceps go, if your biceps are getting fried while skiing, it's usually from over-working your arms when you're on the water. I would look into building your triceps more this winter, and using them more than your biceps when you get onto the water this summer.

Focusing on the core is another good point you make... it will help protect your back.

#3 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 8:57 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

It's really worth visiting a personal trainer. If you have goals for a specific activity (such as slalom) a good PT should be able to see what the sport demands and help tailor your workout. You don't have to go forever, but it is very helpful to visit a professional and get your plan of attack straightened out and refined. In my state s a few skiers got hooked up with a PT that watched a few slalom sets and then helped build a workout/rehab regimen. After a 2008 racked with hip and back injuries, these guys were healthy and injury free 2009.

Surprise surprise. Core and lower back. A little bit for shoulders. Lots of stretching.
Almost everything used a bosu or swiss ball.
Nothing that the PT taught used more than 10 lb dumbbells.

#4 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:06 PM

HO410

Just saw the 99 so I couldn't help myself.
Now to bring my skiing up to Guru status.

Almost anything on a pull-up bar is really good. Personally I think it's great, providing an even tempo, for ensuring that your back, shoulders, and arms strengthen in proportion. For instance, it's really hard to hide your triceps when you slowly lower yourself down.

634 posts shy of Wade. Not even the slightest intention of trying to challenge your dominance.

Last edited by HO410 (Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:07 PM)

#5 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 9:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Good call on the pull up bar... or even better a hang board.... a little more dynamic than the straight pull up bar.

HO410 - > Nice going on ur Guru Status! Not trying to be dominant here. It would be rad if we had a lot more gurus here... more high end = more low end = more people skiing = better. Good job answering so many questions. KUTGW.

#6 Wed, Jan 6, 2010 10:51 PM

HO410

Speaking of cross training on the mountains.
Wade, where are you skiing this winter?

#7 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 1:13 AM

lcarnes

Check out http://www.afitplace.com/.  This is the virtual training site of Jenny Labaw, who not only skis but trains Marcus Brown (she was on the Face-to-Face tour with him.)  She knows the muscles you need and can do your training virtually for a reasonable price...as long as you don't need someone in your face yelling "one more"!  BTW, core will be one of the main things....

#8 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 3:51 AM

2gofaster

I use Jenny Labaw. She's great.  Lot of core work, lot of cardio, and she's tough on the diet.

Shane Hill

#9 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 7:26 AM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Winter training? After 5 years of winter training, having done, 1. circuits / rowing machine 2. running / rowing machine 3. MTB / rowing machine 4. personal trainer  / rowing machine 5. weights / rowing machine, I have learnt I ENJOY doing all of them to varying degrees (guess which one I hate the most!!), and none of them will harm my skiing. But then again, none of these are going to signfiicantly improve MY skiing. But if I don't do some sort of training, then this will affect my skiing.

So for my 2 cents, I'd suggest do any exercise you enjoy in the off season, just get that heart rate up a bit doing something that gives you that adrenalin buzz. Because, ultimately that is what we do any sport for.

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#10 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 12:00 PM

GarrettGroller

I also train with Jenny Labaw. She gives me new workouts every other week so it never gets boring. In previous years I ran on a treadmill and did the same upper body workout over and over again and absolutely HATED it. I dreaded it every day and in the end it didn't help my waterskiing at all.

With the Labaw workouts, my legs and core are getting really strong so I'm really anxious to get on the water this year and see the difference it will make. My heart and lungs are getting stronger too. I never thought I'd be able to run 4 miles at a time in the amount of time I am now running it in.

I also believe nutrition is KEY. Probably even more so than training.

#11 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 1:22 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

I believe there are 4 keys elelments:, exercise, stretching, rest and nutrition. Unfortunately very few of us can manage to do more than three.

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#12 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 5:10 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

ColinCanski wrote:

rowing machine

in my opinion, BEST MACHINE to work with at the gym for skiing!! works every part or your upper body that you use when skiing, lats, deltoids, triceps, etc. Its a great machine to really get into.  Also, running, leg press, and pull over are some things i consider KEY for keeping/getting into shape for the next season! smile

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#13 Thu, Jan 7, 2010 7:38 PM

kstateskier

One year I tried to add 15lbs during the off season, and I got pretty close - had a terrible ski season... wasn't very flexible, tried to muscle everything...  The next season I tried to stay hovered around my ski weight but build lean muscle and I added a ton of cardio days to my schedule!  That following ski season I had my best season ever and I didn't weigh a lb over my previous year, but I was a ton stronger - same weight, just comprised of muscle rather than fat...  Wade is right Lean and Mean is the way to go... 

I try and stretch my lower back every day in the off season and definitely every day during ski season!  another good tip is really focus on leg strength in the off season.  strength in your legs is the easiest way to get more powerful on your ski.  Ever heard the old adage "legs feed the beast" well its true.

Eat right, work hard and stay focused on spring!  I believe good ski seasons are built Nov-March, not June-sept!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#14 Fri, Jan 8, 2010 9:06 PM

Aligator
Skis At: everywhere

weight training and running on a treadmill can get pretty boring over the winter months!
I try and switch things up by heading to the climbing gym at least once a week to challenge my core, lower body, and some upper body. Bouldering problems are a good way to work on your mental strength while doing something physical. Having to think about how you are going to approach the problem is very similar to sitting at the end of the lake and mentally preparing to run the next line length.
If you can't afford a personal trainer, check out group fitness classes at your gym. Although intimidating at first they can be very fun, make your workout go by faster, and push you harder than you might on your own workout. (spinning, lifting and bootcamps are some good ones)
And last, but certainly not least...hit the mountains!! Skiing is an awesome workout, and like waterskiing is a mental and physical challenge!

#15 Sun, Jan 10, 2010 3:14 PM

oklivestock

I'd have to agree with the posts suggesting a few sessions with a personal trainer.  I'm going back to school to finish my degree (changing major) in kinesiology.  After working myself out since a teenage athlete- I thought I knew most everything about working out.  Wrong!  One session with a good trainer "showed me the light".  There is way more to correct, safe fitness that the average person knows.  A trainer may be expensive, but the benefits will far outweigh the temporary money crunch.  Besides- going to the doctor, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture, or worse- emergency room; is wayyyy more expensive than 1/2 dozen training sessions.  If I could suggest a few things : if you decide to use the BOSU ball (amazing for skiers!) flip it upside down so it's flat-side up, get the black skateboard grip paper and stick it over the entire flat surface.  Otherwise- you WILL slide around and fall off easier.  Squats on the upside down BOSU with dumbells, leg lifts, anything you can do on a BOSU will help balance.  Have a trainer help you with this as it can be very dangerous & challenging.  Also- as your ski season nears, you will have to up your cardio fitness.  Skiing the course is like a sprint, so you must practice this on a bike, treadmill, etc before you start skiing.  We are gasping for breath after we ski, right?  I have actually laid out a course in my pasture and ran the course on foot as if I were skiing it.  What a eye-opener!  I felt tired in the same way as if I had actually skied the course.  I even made some of the same approach mistakes on foot as I do when I ski...hmmm...Anyhow- as the season nears- get a trainer, and train to specific to slalom waterski.  This will leave you hopefully with less injuries, skiing with better form longer, and you'll be able to turn and burn better than ever! smile

#16 Sun, Jan 10, 2010 3:34 PM

oklivestock

If you're wondering what my workout is: TRX Training straps, BOSU, dumbbells, kettle ball, medicine ball toss on BOSU, sprints and tempo runs, mountain bike, wall sits, hangs, pull-ups, dips, back extensions, etc.  Try the plank with forearms on a stability ball, then slowly 'stir the pot" with your forearms.  Hello core workout!  I can knock out 100 crunches easy- but that exercise burns! This will be more sport specific for a skier than crunches/ sit-ups.  There are some ski-specific exercises a trainer will give you that you may never learn on your own.  And use the dumbbells while you are doing your wall sits- any exercises you can do together saves time & will give you better fitness results.

#17 Sun, Jan 10, 2010 4:17 PM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

oklivestock wrote:

Also- as your ski season nears, you will have to up your cardio fitness.  Skiing the course is like a sprint, so you must practice this on a bike, treadmill, etc before you start skiing.  We are gasping for breath after we ski, right?  I have actually laid out a course in my pasture and ran the course on foot as if I were skiing it.  What a eye-opener!  I felt tired in the same way as if I had actually skied the course.  I even made some of the same approach mistakes on foot as I do when I ski...hmmm...

Interesting approach laying out the course in your pasture, watch out for them cow patties!!! wink

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#18 Sun, Jan 10, 2010 6:34 PM

oklivestock

Lol! Yep- there were a few of those out there...I originally did it as an experiment to test a sport- specificity training theory.  I used a measure wheel to mark out only the 6 turn buoys and then one cone for the each set of gates. (Of course it wasn't dead accurate- I was in a pasture for *&# sake!)  Then I just kind of mimicked on foot what I would do to ski through the corse.  What surprised my first few trips through was not being wide enough for the first turn, looking down instead of ahead, not setting up for next buoy.  So it would seem that even in a very non-similar environment it is possible to make the same mental mistakes that one may make when skiing.  90% mental, 10% ability?  As I ran I tried to imagine looking across the boat and when I would come out of the turn hold the line I was running to see where I would end up upon my approach to next turn.  This enabled me to see what kind of mistakes I was making in my pre and post turns.  I was really surprised at how easy it was to imagine myself on the course.  It was nutty, but guess what- I got a heck of a workout and did some mental training at the same time. One of these days I'll try this on my bike to see what thats like.  It was a very interesting experiment to say the least...smile

#19 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 12:04 AM

skidream
Skis At: Madison, Still Farm
Foot Forward: Left

Training update!!! So I was in the gym a few weeks ago and I decided to get a little more aggressive with cable rows and F'ed my lower back up!! I think I pulled some muscles but not too sure?! Just a word to the wise, if your going to be doing rows, don't over extend your back when bending forward!! Its getting better but has made it difficult to do CORE exercises sad

Warming up!!!

Ski Hard or Go Home!!

#20 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 1:28 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

skidream wrote:

Training update!!! So I was in the gym a few weeks ago and I decided to get a little more aggressive with cable rows and F'ed my lower back up!! I think I pulled some muscles but not too sure?! Just a word to the wise, if your going to be doing rows, don't over extend your back when bending forward!! Its getting better but has made it difficult to do CORE exercises sad

Aww man that sucks!! have u ever done yoga?? that'd strengthen your flexibility and help prevent that from happening again. BUT if u havn't or if you have... LET IT HEAL FIRST lol :] i know yoga's been really helpin me. Only started this winter so i'll see how much it helps with my skiin next month!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Pl0tz (Wed, Feb 10, 2010 1:29 AM)

#21 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:14 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL

Me and some guys I work with bought the P90X workout online and I tell you what "What a workout". It is set up to where you can taylor what you are trying to achive. There is a lot of body weight moves and a pile of core. you need a pull up bar and a few weights. Most of the workouts are right at an hour long. We did it last year and man we got in some pretty good shape. Back in the gym now three days and doing cardio two days with the videos.

"It is what it is"

#22 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:36 PM

BuoyChaser

A $600.00 value for only 3 monthly payments of $39.95 (+$19.95 s&h) so is it worth $139.80 + gym memborship?!?
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes … P90XDOTCOM

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#23 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:56 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

+1 for P90x....I'm 3 weeks into it , and obsessed.  IMO, its the friggin Bomb!  FYI, You can often find it <$100 locally thru Craigslist.  I'm set up w/ the flat screen in basement w/ yoga mat, pull up bar, push up bars, and set of 10-50# adjustable dumbells.  I've already dropped 5 lbs doing the "Classic Program". 
It is nice that you can modify the programs, and  initially "cheat" your way through them as they encourage.  Everyone seems to have a program they dislike whether it be Kempo or (for me) yoga.  I do what I can of it, then supplement w/ a run.
The 55 minute Plyometrics program is killer.

Last edited by davemac (Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:12 PM)

#24 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:08 PM

BuoyChaser

Check out this pull up bar that mounts in your doorway, hmmmmmm very OFFICE FRIENDLY!!!
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes … _up_bar.dohttp://www.beachbody.com/images/en_US/products/gear/chinupbar/chinupbar_lg_alt01.jpg

P90X Chin-Up Bar for only $59.85 (+$14.95 s&h)

#25 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 5:22 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

P90X is the WAY TO GO! totally agree with what y'all are saying! actually just got off it. and checked out this form! :] best of all you don't have to gain the energy to run to the gym or nothing! just pop it in. My dad and i set up a whole mini gym in our garage; with some old dumb bells, found an old duffel bag and stuffed it with motocross gear hung it up to = punching bag, also found a steal pole we had laying around got some rope and wood. tied the rope to a support beam in the garage and tied on each side of the pole then used a plank of wood, cut it into 4 pieces and mounted it on each side of the rope to stabilize the pole! all completely free! i'm not too sure about that pull up bar above. NEVER used one, so i can't really judge it. i just don't see how it doesn't tear the top of your door way apart... but if anyone wants some pic on our lil set up let me know. its easy and a cheap way to install your own bar!! smile

-plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Wed, Feb 10, 2010 5:22 PM)

Board footer