Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 6:51 PM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn
Foot Forward: Right

Fin Adjustment Tool

I'm ready to purchase a fin adjustment tool. There are a couple on the market.  Which is the best?

#2 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:01 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Fin Adjustment Tool

What are you looking to accomplish?

A dial caliper is essential if you're going to be tweaking your fin settings. That's definitely the first tool to get.

familiarize yourself with how to adjust your fin and measure it: http://www.proskicoach.com/gear/fin_measurement

There are a few tools out there like the slot caliper or ez fin tool that attempt to make the fin measurement process easier by changing the way you measure. personally i dont like these tools because they give you different measurements than what you would have if you just learned the right way to measure with a dial caliper.... slapping a bandaid on the problem doesnt fix it. The dial caliper can be consistent if you use it in the right way (see above article).

The Finamajig is a tool that allows you to set and save settings on your fin for quick calibration in the future. If your fin is moved you can get it within .010" using the finamajig. This degree of accuracy is good enough for most skiers... but to optimize fin settings you still need to use a dial caliper, and learn how to use it correctly. The Finamajig really comes in handy when you're setting up a ski for the first time and want to use your old settings. Also, later on this year we'll be coming out with FinamaJig Modules which you may purchase with specific recommended settings for you ski. The modules will fit right into the adjustable jig. So this would be the easiest way to calibrate your ski to a stock or otherwise recommended setting.

#3 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:08 PM

t8skier

I have calapers. 
I am looking for a tool that I can quickly make a change without taking my wing off everytime.
It is hard to get a accurate dft.

GO SAINTS!!!

Last edited by t8skier (Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:24 PM)

#4 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:55 PM

Thomas Wayne

t8skier wrote:

I have calapers. 
I am looking for a tool that I can quickly make a change without taking my wing off everytime.
It is hard to get a accurate dft.

[...]

t8skier,

I've got a very simple solution for your dft issue(s).   I manufacture a little gizmo that gives very accurate and repeatable dft measurements using your existing calipers, and it fits easily into your caliper box.  It's very easy to use, durable and waterproof, and - since it's my own unique invention - has never been seen outside of a very small group of trusted associates.

I'll send you one for free, along with instructions for use, if you become a"Power User" of this website.  It's really easy to do (just follow the link at the top of this page)-  and is completely affordable at $1 per week.  This offer is good for the next four days (through Wednesday), after which I'll be out of town for a while.

So become a Power User before Wednesday - email me your mailing address after you do that - and I'll send you a tool that will solve all your dft problems at no additional cost to you.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Sun, Feb 7, 2010 7:56 PM)

#5 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 6:56 PM

h2oski

I'm a bit biased as I designed the EZFintool.  What Wade says is true, you do come up with a different DFT figure but conversion is very simple if you just get an accurate DFT measurement via the conventional style once.  I designed the tool to allow a individual to obtain accurate, consistant DFT measurements for checking and/or adjusting the fin on their ski.  And it does allow you to measure depth without removing the wing.  Less time measuring and adjusting=more time skiing!  More info at ezfintool.com.
Terry Bandel

#6 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 8:42 PM

Griff
Skis At: Richmond Water Ski Club

I am an owner of an EZFinTool and have suggested it to other friends who have bought it.  My daughter bought it for me as a present.  Thanks Terry!

Last edited by Griff (Sat, Feb 13, 2010 9:29 PM)

#7 Fri, Apr 30, 2010 8:26 PM

h2oski

I have great news for everyone using the Ezfintool.  Many of you have said that you wished there was a easier way to convert DFT readings obtained with the Ezfintool to the traditional or flat readings that everyone seems to use.  I have posted a update on my website, ezfintool.com that explains in detail how use the Ezfintool and get the flat readings instead of the full DFT readings.  Once you have everything setup for your ski, its still the fastest, most simple and consistant way to measure your fin.

Terry Bandel
ezfintool.com

#8 Fri, Apr 30, 2010 9:15 PM

t8skier

I purchased the ezfintool.  Very easy and accurate tool.  If it fell in the lake, I would have to have another!

Board footer