Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 5:55 PM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co
Foot Forward: Right

HO Animal hardboots

haven't seen this one posted. has anyone skied with HO Animal hardboots?
Are they any good?
The reason I am asking is I found a new ski in my price range and it has a st mounted on it and I really dont know anything about them. What I have on my old ski now is HO High raps.

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#2 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 5:57 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: HO Animal hardboots

vrod69 wrote:

a st mounted on it

What's an ST?

The boots are pretty new -- love to hear from anyone who has ridden them already.

I can tell you that the release mechanism is the most advanced release in waterskiing.

#3 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 5:58 PM

vrod69

that was my bad, IT has a set mounted

Bj

#4 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:07 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Hmm For clarifcation are we talking about the new HO Exo hardboots or some variation of the Animals? The animals are highwrap boots and are not hardshell.

#5 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:11 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

For some time HO called the Animals a "hardboot." I think this was in comparison to other boot on the market, back when the Animal was on the cutting edge of slalom bindings.

Incidentally, HO has updated their website and now have the Exo boots listed.

#6 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:15 PM

vrod69

well heres what the add says on craigslist.

Water ski for sale. In great condition-barely used. HO Extreme CDXI. Full graphite composite with HO Animal hardboots.

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1548168946.html

Now when I looked up the ski it was made in 2000. So I am assuming that the bindings are the same

Bj

#7 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:30 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes

I'm pretty sure that ski is a '98 or '99.  The '00 had white flames. http://dscreation1122.homestead.com/daz … 64x573.jpg

I'm not sure if the Animals came out before 2000, but when they did they originally had the words "Animal Hardboot" printed on them.  These are a far cry from the new EXO, which is a true "hardboot".

AL

#8 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 7:29 PM

vrod69

thanks AL for the info. Hope fully I will get to check out the ski today. I will let you know what it really is once I see it

Bj

#9 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 7:39 PM

HO410

That is definitely one of the earlier iterations of the CDX.

The Animals will be of a similar vintage. The age doesn't really matter as long as the rubber is in good shape and even then, it is reasonably economic to rebuild the boots. It is worth noting that these are using the old HO insert pattern. Neither front nor rear could be migrated to a newer ski without replacing the plates.

If this is your first foray with laced boots, just don't get overzealous cinching them down. Also remember that when the boots are very cold, the rubber will be much less pliable: acting as though they are cinched tighter than they really are.

#10 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 8:42 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

I hope I'm not out of line dragging this over from Ball of Spray. This vid shows how the EXO works, pivots and the release mechanism. All we need is some actual feed back on skiability. Looks pretty cool!

#11 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 9:34 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Great video, aside from negative comments galore. Thanks for posting.

#12 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 5:12 AM

vrod69

OK heres what the boots are, They are just a plain high rap boot. HO called them Animal Hardboots. These were bought new with the ski in 1999

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6306_aninal2.jpg
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6306_aninal.jpg

Bj

#13 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 5:21 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Nice. Those are solid. Just make sure the boots are in good condition. The front one looks great in the pic but I can't c the back. Not sure if ho still has new overlays available for those boots in case they were to rip. The finger holes have a tendency to rip if they are pulled on excessively.

#14 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 5:30 AM

vrod69

Yea I know the problem it happened to a pair of wakeboard bindings that I got last season. These look to be in great shape no wear n tare. I picked up the ski for $40.00
has only been ridin a few times and it looks like it. So I will try it out the start of the season.

Last edited by vrod69 (Sun, Feb 7, 2010 5:31 AM)

Bj

#15 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 4:16 PM

gjohnson

That’s a great price especially if the binders are in good shape.  HO changed the hole patterns since then.  Replacement parts could be an issue down the road.  Is that a CDX?

#16 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 8:38 PM

HO410

The good people at Wiley's Ski Shop (wileyski.com) have a knack for rebuilding discontinued and older boots.

#17 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 6:18 AM

vrod69

Ok, so these bindings are in great shape with minor ware and tare. I tried them on the other night and found that they are really tight, they put a lot of pressure on the upper parts of my feet and also dig into my big toe, mainly on the rear. I soaked them in hot water waited until it was warm and put them back on to try and form them to my feet.
         So my question is, How tight should the bindings really be? On my old set of shorty HO Raps I ran them fairly loose, just so they would come off easy in a hard hit.
Any input would be great.
Bj

Bj

#18 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 6:42 AM

gjohnson

I believe the Animal bindings you’re wearing are first generation.  That boot is less pliable than the current Animal’s.  EVA foam is stiffer than rubber.  That’s a big deal when coming off a rubber only binder.  Naturally it’s going to feel tight and awkward at first.  If the bindings are so uncomfortable that you can’t ski then you know they’re to tight.  And if that’s the case, you may need a bigger size.  Over the years HO has made improvements to the Animal that addresses the issues you describe.

#19 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 3:59 PM

vrod69

Ok, I will have to try to ski in them. I will have to just put them aside until season starts.
thanks

Bj

#20 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 4:56 PM

HO410

From that picture, it looks a little bit as though you have two front boots there. Being early in the evolution of the boot, it could just be what the design was back in the day. Currently, the toe of the rear boot is quite a bit more open than what I can see in that picture.

As far as the fit goes, do they feel too small for your foot? Are your toes being crammed together or is it just the rubber pushing your foot down into the insole? This could be something that will stretch out with time; if they are too narrow your options are more limited. In comparison to your old boots, these crazy high performance bindings. Initially they'll feel like a vice and there will be a period of adjustment just to how they feel on you foot. If you go back and try the old binders, they will probably feel like wet wool socks. The question you'll have to answer is, "are they snug or are they too tight?" Do they feel like a good pair or running shoes, or do you feel like you're turning into a Chinese foot binder. If it's the latter, hopefully the wrap is not trimmed up too close so you can let it out a little. If they are too tight and there is no wrap to let out, you'll want to give Wiley's a call.

#21 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 6:32 PM

vrod69

Ok HO,
    What you said makes sense. Here's what I am getting. The rear binding to me also seemes as if it is a front boot just from the complete covering of my foot, also by the way it feels with different pressure on my rear foot compared to the front boot. What they feel like is pressure on the outer top parts of my feet which doesn't feel extremely bad, but they are imprinting the inner pattern on the outer tops of my feet and leaves them red where they are rubbing. To me it doesn't seem as if I can let that part of the rubber out. Where its tight is, if you look at the picture, its on the lower white area of the binding where it can't be adjusted and this is with the black straps completely loose. Which makes me think that they just need to be worn and broken in a little bit.
    The upper part of the bindings that wrap feel fine, they are tight going on and off, but with soap its not to bad.
    Now with the toe area of the binding on the rear boot would it hurt to cut the upper rubber back to allow for more toe room?

Bj

#22 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 7:05 PM

HO410

Red with crosshatching is normal for boots like this.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/photos/sia09986img0.jpg

Grabbed this picture off of ski it again, the rear boot is in the foreground.

I would modify the rear boot to look more like the rear boot in this picture.
Definitely remove the strap, and I can't think of a reason why you should not
start to trim back the rubber at the toe.

#23 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 8:12 PM

vrod69

Ok guys finally got these binging's to work.
    I trimmed the rear toe area back about an inch and loosened the straps up by one hole and they slip on with mild amounts of soap and feel great. So now its just wait for the lake to thaw out and tri it.
Thanks to All for the Help

Bj

Board footer