Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 1:03 PM

condi74
Skis At: Bonney's Ski Park
Foot Forward: right

Broken Sixam SS

Hi all,
      I have broken two ski's this season, both quite new Sixam SS 69" skis, the first was 18 months old and dutifully cared for, it broke at the entry gates about 6 weeks ago, i was skiing at 34mph at 22off, it broke relatively dramatically and I did about three cartwheels and ended up out at the 1 ball. I waited some 5 weeks until the replacement arrived then I was in my third set on it, skiing 30mph at 15off and heard a click as i came around 3 ball and I was swimming, far less dramatic then the first one but equally disappointing.
I have to say the my local ski shop has been great about the whole thing, even though the first ski was out of warranty they arranged for a replacement but when the second one broke, O'Brien, through their Australian distributor has walked away from them and by extension me. I have ordered an Obrien Seige to replace the Sixam but I think "fit for purpose" is a consideration here that O'Brien has not upheld. I would like to know if anyone else has had problems with the Sixam SS breaking and what they might have done about it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Damien

Last edited by condi74 (Fri, Jan 29, 2010 1:05 PM)

#2 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 3:18 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Broken Sixam SS

DANG!! sounds like O'brian Sixam's don't really like you!! That's some terrible luck!
don't no much about O'brien sorry... but this seemed like to good of a story not to comment on

GOOD LUCK with the Seige!!

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#3 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 4:28 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

Were they both brand new or older models? I know people who have been using the same sixam for years some still on the first model. It could have been that your shop down under got a bad batch of sticks.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#4 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 5:20 PM

AdamCord

Hi Damien, I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you're having with that ski! It's definitely uncommon and I can't believe you've gotten the shaft on the replacement! Email me at [email protected] and we'll get you taken care of.  Thanks -Adam

#5 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 6:16 PM

Thomas Wayne

Last year one of my partners has his 69" SixAM break after four seasons of reasonably heavy use.   One phone call and a few emailed photos and he got a new one within the week.  That's one reason we opted to get the Elites up here to test drive.

I haven't skied on an O'Brien in more than five years, but it's still my opinion that they exhibit the best customer service in the industry.  Others may come close, or even equal (read Eddie R. @ Radar) - but no one beats them.

TW

#6 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 8:50 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

I agree O'Brien does have the best customer service in the biz.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#7 Sat, Jan 30, 2010 5:37 AM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

I am currently on a SixamSS and am curious as to how the ski "broke" As a newer skier I have put my ski through its fair share of crashes already smile Even to the point of tearing my rear Bio boot, which O'brien remedied with the utmost  professionalism. 

I am on a 66'' SS which may make a difference but I am still curious as to how the structure of the ski failed? As from what I have seen it seems to be a pretty solid design.

Last edited by Essvar (Sat, Jan 30, 2010 5:38 AM)

#8 Sat, Jan 30, 2010 2:40 PM

condi74

Thanks for the comments, Adam I have sent you an email.

Damien

#9 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 12:40 PM

condi74

Just an update for anyone following this thread, Adam from O'brien got in touch with me very quickly and is sorting me out with a new ski, I'm assured the breakage is uncommon, the ski broke across the screw holes at the back of the front boot the first time and across the screw holes at the front of the back boot the second time. I am very pleased that O'Brien have assisted me so quickly.

Thanks for your posts.

Damien

#10 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 10:48 PM

Tank

Yea mine just broke this afternoon in an offside turn. I'm in college so can't buy another $1200 stick at will. I love the ski to death! I bought it last June. Skied on it maybe 20 times last year and today was my 2nd day out this year! Mine broke right behind the front of the back boot behind the screw holes. sad(( Dad has an obrien he has had since 1980 and still ski's on it! This hurt my feeling today, could mean i'm getting better. haha

#11 Mon, Apr 12, 2010 11:10 PM

2gofaster

Sorry to hear that, Tank. Call Obrien and ask for Adam Cord. They really do have the best service and will take care of you.

Shane Hill

#12 Sun, May 23, 2010 4:52 AM

Tank

Well i'm still waiting on my ski... sad
been a while

#13 Tue, Jun 22, 2010 1:25 AM

Tank

My son "Tank" purchased a new O'Brien Sixam SS in 2009.  He saved his money that he had earned during the summer.  After about 20-25 trips to the lake (all but two in 2009), the ski broke in half on an offside turn back in March 2010.  This was his second trip to the lake in 2010.

My son contacted O'Brien via telephone and they asked for photos.  Photos of the ski were sent and e-mail traffic began on or around the first or second week of April.  O'Brien issued my son a return authoriztion number and promised he would have a new replacement no later than 1 May 2010.  On 29 may 2010, my family traveled to Callaway Gardens Georgia to watch the Masters Ski Tournament (still no replacement ski).  We ran into Adam Cord the Marketing Manager for O'Brien at the Team Mapple tent.  Adam told us that O'Brien had failed to order enough skis but that O'Brien had received a shipment of Sixam SS skis the previous week and that the fins were being installed.  He went on to say that the replacement ski should go out the next week.  He gave us his card in the event I needed his assistance.  The next week went by and still no ski.  We contacted Adam via telephone and then by e-mail.  He replied in an e-mail "the ski is on its way!".  Five days later, still now ski.  We called Adam and he said that he had made a mistake but that the ski should ship out the following Monday or Tuesday (14 or 15 June 2010).  It is now 21 June 2010 and still no ski (2 1/2 months after my son started trying to get a replacement ski).  Adam has not responded to our last e-mail dated today (21 June 2010) asking if the ski had shipped.  Maybe he will respond with some good news for my son

Is O'Brien in financial trouble?  Who owns O'Brien Water Sports?  I do know that in 2003 O'Brien International went under due to financial problems.  They were part of Earth and Ocean Sports at that time.  I know that it is not Adam's fault.  I feel he has been as honest as the info he has at hand, but I cannot help but wonder if there may be issues beyond his control.  We are just looking for someone to be honest with us about the situation.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Tank (Tue, Jun 22, 2010 4:41 AM)

Board footer