Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jan 25, 2010 10:24 PM

Ski36Ossipee
Skis At: Ossipee Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Slalom Skiing with MasterCraft X7 Tower

We are thinking of buying a new boat and It is a MaterCarft X7 with a tower.

I was wondering if I would still be able to ski shortline with the tower on the boat without the rope bending around the tower?

http://www.nefwm.com/new_vehicle_detail … pov=502281

This is the boat

#2 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 2:24 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

Re: Slalom Skiing with MasterCraft X7 Tower

Yeah you should be able how short are you getting on the line?

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#3 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 2:39 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

You'll probably be ok but the best thing to do would just be to go check it out. You're not going to be at 90 degrees to the gunwale... about 80 degrees would be maximum... even super-short.

Judging from that pic (not the best angle for this) I'd say you're OK. I'm pretty sure they have had towers on their boats at H2Osmosis for years, no problems there, and they've pulled record and pro events.

#4 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 2:50 PM

kstateskier

on the Malibu LXI with the illusion tower (mounted further back than the MC towers) they say you won't touch the tower until you get into 39...

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#5 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 3:00 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Looking at pictures of the X7, I'm thinking that those support struts mount somewhere between 12" to 18" further aft than the struts on the Prostar 197. It's hard to figure out the angles from those pictures, but I'd wager that you won't start bumping them until -39'.

#6 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 4:12 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

That's perfect reason to buy the boat.  It gives you a goal!!

I know I would like to be able to tell someone:
"At 39 off it touches but doesn't effect you, at 41 off you can still run it, but it knocks a couple inches off the rope.  When I try 43 I usually take the tower off."

Todd

#7 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 6:23 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Oh, that dealership has one of my favorite boats. A 1993 Prostar 190.

http://cdn-5.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/nefwm/vp1316133_1_large.jpg

We had a guy bring one to a tournament this last year, and we ended up using it as a pickup boat. Had a brief discussion about having a "classic boat" round because so many people were reminiscing  about the beautiful wakes. The only nock is that the chine spray is pretty brutal. And at the same length, that boat is tiny. I kind of like that smaller hull, I feel like it fits me. These recent boats have hit the buffet, so to speak, it's a testament to the skill of MC, CC, and Malibu that they all ski as well as they do.

Last edited by HO410 (Tue, Jan 26, 2010 6:24 PM)

#8 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 7:12 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

410, you're right. That is a sweet boat. I love the 91-94 MCs. Classic! The 01+ Evo-style hull looks pretty amazing as well, but not as classic!

#9 Tue, Jan 26, 2010 9:34 PM

Ski36Ossipee

Thanks guys.

I dont think Ill be running into 41 anytime soon so I think it would be fine.

#10 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 2:13 PM

JohnE

The rope will start to hit the tower around 35 off I believe.  That's what it does on my X14.  Maybe you can negotiate for them to swap full tower for a mini tower.

I spend a lot of time on Ossipee.  I assume you ski one of the 2 courses on Ossipee?  Which one if so?  Do you own one of them?

#11 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 5:57 PM

mcguru
Rookie

Ski36 You will be fine with the tower. The Prostar197 uses the same tower and is fine.

JohnE. n case you are not aware, the 214/X14 is a different boat/hull. The 197 is the REAL ski boat from MC. On the 214/X14 the windshield gets in the way. If you look, MC offers a different windshield on the 214/X-14 so you wont have that problem. I see you over on TT always putting up incorrect information and wish you would not do that. I know you love MC but STOP giving out WRONG information as if you know what you are talking about. Also, regarding the Mini-Tower instead. The mini tower mounts to the gunnells in the same place as the full size tower.

Last edited by mcguru (Mon, Feb 1, 2010 5:59 PM)

#12 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 8:56 PM

Ski36Ossipee

I have heard a lot of people having problems with the older X-14's with the towers and the prostar 214's windshield.

JohnE. I know who you are now ive seen you out on the lake and you actually asked to use our course one time.

#13 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 9:55 PM

JohnE

mcguru wrote:

Ski36 You will be fine with the tower. The Prostar197 uses the same tower and is fine.

JohnE. n case you are not aware, the 214/X14 is a different boat/hull. The 197 is the REAL ski boat from MC. On the 214/X14 the windshield gets in the way. If you look, MC offers a different windshield on the 214/X-14 so you wont have that problem. I see you over on TT always putting up incorrect information and wish you would not do that. I know you love MC but STOP giving out WRONG information as if you know what you are talking about. Also, regarding the Mini-Tower instead. The mini tower mounts to the gunnells in the same place as the full size tower.

First off the rear legs to the new style full tower are attached to the gunnels behind the windshield.  Probably close to 12" behind at it's furthest point.  The mini tower attaches to the gunnell in front of the rear of the windshiled.  Tell me any incorrect info I've posted and I'll retract and apologize.  That was definitely the case in '07 anyway which is the boat in question iin this thread.  I'll post a few pics if I really have to.  And I know exactly what MC's real ski boat is.  I owned an '05 197. 

As far as the windshield on the 214/ X14, it gets in the way of a boom, not a slalom rope.  The optional windshield for the 214/ X14 isto allow for the installation of the boom. 

Tell me where I'm off base here.

#14 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 10:58 PM

JohnE

Here are a few pics....

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/107_197_tt_mini_tower.jpg

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/107_x7_full_tower.jpg

#15 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 11:22 PM

JohnE

FWIW, I was told on the TT forum that the full tower is not record certified, but the mini tower is.

#16 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 12:36 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

hey guys. Thanks for all the info. Let me just mention bickering is not allowed.

I think you're probably both right on this one.

Thanks for adding value and keeping your sticks on the ice.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/107_197_tt_mini_tower.jpg

In this picture, this should be skiable by 100% of folks out there. Even at 39 off, most pros are not at a full 90 degree angle. JohnE, the other pic you uploaded does look like it comes back a little too far for shorter line skiing.

#17 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 3:36 AM

BuoyChaser
Skis At: Long Pond, Northwood NH
Foot Forward: LFF

WW - Your pic is of the mini tower, the full tower will get in the way at 35off as it is easily 2ft behind the windshield.

2008 MC PS197 with ZO upgrade with 2011 Radar Senate C 67" working to smoke that 36-28 consistently in any tourney.

#18 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:45 AM

d3skier

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6085_09_x7_full_tower.jpg

looks like shortline would be an issue with a full tower IMO

but then again I own a 197 with mini tower

Last edited by d3skier (Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:47 AM)

#19 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 1:56 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

I agree this one looks like a little bit of an issue. It's probably OK for about 85% of skiers out there though.... I guess the moral of the story is the Mini Tower is optimal. For longer lines, the full tower is still OK.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6085_09_x7_full_tower.jpg

#20 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:55 PM

d3skier

WadeWilliams wrote:

I agree this one looks like a little bit of an issue. It's probably OK for about 85% of skiers out there though.... I guess the moral of the story is the Mini Tower is optimal. For longer lines, the full tower is still OK.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/upload … _tower.jpg

this one is from an 09 X-7 but wouldn't that be the same setup as an 07 model? The pictures he's showing has the newer tower on it so I'm assuming it would be the same issue

#21 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 9:56 PM

Ski36Ossipee

Yah thanks guys.

If we get a new boat I think we will just stay away from towers all together.

#22 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 11:02 PM

JohnE

If you strictly slalom, there's no reason for a tower or the ballast that the X7 has.  I noticed the '09 TT they have for just a little more than the X7 and 2 years newer.  They also have an '07 197 that I think is sharp.  I came very close to buying it a while back. 

Good luck with the search.

#23 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 12:17 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Towers are nice for resale...

Board footer