Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 5:03 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA
Foot Forward: Left

Marcus Brown's Live Video Chat....

As a big fan of MB, JB, CR, KN, and WW, I was disappointed in last night's Live Video Chat.  I really like the live chat idea, and believe it is an awesome way to promote the sport.  Considering that we had 5+ of the world's finest skiers in one live forum, the idea to not discuss technique was shocking.  I would have loved to hear various differences (or even debates) from the pro skiers on each of their technique (in any given area of skiing).  I truly believe that it could have been very enlightening, and would have been an outstanding draw for more skiers to want to join future live chats.

I know that pro skiers make money by selling lessons, and maybe they fear "giving" away lessons/technique/secrets for free may hurt their income, but I believe that by offering technique to the followers of the sport, will actually be one of the most productive things they can do.  It would lead to more lessons sold, not less.  Why?  Because as we try to put into practice any technique that they offer, we will ultimately struggle, and be MORE likely to purchase personalized lessons, as they were the ones to start pointing us down the right path. 

I feel that CR and WW both have done a very fine job of offering, and caring to help skiers with unbelievable information/techniques/concepts, which I believe will come back to them in time.  Since their methods/technique are offered to us, then when the time comes, won't we be most likely to go to them for the personalized lessons?

I hope the Live Video Chats can grow in viewers, but I'm not so sure that lecturing about boat shows, or other trivial topics is the most productive way to do this, though those topics are fine as a portion of the chat. 

Marcus, I really do appreciate what you are doing, and know you work very hard and care.  I just wanted to share my opinion, as you asked for us to.  THANK YOU!!!

#2 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 5:17 AM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

Re: Marcus Brown's Live Video Chat....

Dan,

As a coach and skier, I think that your feedback is great and I hope that your voice is heard.  I also understand where Marcus is coming from in trying to make a show that draws in more outsiders...however, (and this is where my opinion may create a little aggravation for some, but it is my opinion) I believe we grow the sport by embracing what we have first.  IF coaching tips are what the sport asks for, then that is what should be delivered.  There are a lot of ways to make that attractive to outsiders based on the delivery method.  I think Marcus is settling into this live chat thing and I think eventually he will find a balance of keeping it attractive and cool and giving some valuable info.  I had been working on trying to do some sort of live coaching tips about a year ago (and still may), but chose to work on an instructional video for now, but I think Marcus is a great personality for this LIVE chat and has an image that really does create some intrigue for the outside world.  If I know Marcus he will listen to your feedback and that of others and maybe not try quite as hard to avoid the coaching stuff, but without getting oen hundred percent caught up in it.  I think balance is the key...and maybe a little better broadcast environment, but I am sure they are working on this as well.

I will be anxious to watch (as I'm sure you will) to see how it develops.  I think thoughts from guys like you are crucial and I think your point is great.

Seth Stisher

#3 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 2:43 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL
Foot Forward: Right

Great discussion so far. It's nice that we can talk about this stuff without having to wear this:
http://www.fifteenoff.com/dump/flamesuit.jpg

I will say that MB is in a tough position and I've tried to envision myself behind that camera, in his shoes (without the dreads, natch). He's sitting there live, on the spot, in front of everyone from industry figureheads to fans to beginning skiers and he has to try to satisfy everyone with interesting and unique content. He doesn't want to re-hash stuff and doesn't want to spin his tires on differences of opinion that will provide no value to the viewers. I did think the "giving away secrets" statement was a little odd but again, he's on the spot and JB was probably heckling him from the back room anyway. Again, it's a tough position to be in. What I did LOVE about Monday's discussion was just the "buzz" you could feel in the air as different pros, friends, and ski buddies logged in from around the world. It was like a fireside chat with family. This is a bond that is somewhat unique to our sport, so the content was almost a 2nd priority for me as a viewer. It was just a cool thing to be involved with simultaneously with so many others that I know of or have met in this small world that is water skiing.

Last edited by Jhughes (Wed, Jan 20, 2010 2:45 PM)

#4 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 3:04 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Great discussion.

Couple quick points:

1) Marcus drove from Denver to Jackson, got his truck stuck on the hill, barely made it to the chat on time (we were going to postpone) and I know he was tired...
2) the first 2 chats were about 100% technique based
3) Having uber-techie discussions isn't going to draw in new blood.

Jhughes wrote:

he's on the spot and JB was probably heckling him from the back room anyway.

-- Guaranteed!

Jhughes wrote:

What I did LOVE about Monday's discussion was just the "buzz" you could feel in the air as different pros, friends, and ski buddies logged in from around the world.

--Agreed! We're going to make it so we can have more interaction in the future, we're going to keep evolving this.

Seth is right that we definitely need to embrace what we do have.

So, sorry we didn't get to cover all the tech that we had planned originally. I think transitioning to a little bit more "fun" webcast that has more personality and news, and then moving into the technical discussion towards the end is a good way to go in the future. Marcus is right that 99% of the population doesn't want to hear about counter rotation for a half hour.

Dan- I appreciate your honesty. Great post.

I agree that it was kind of a shame to have so much great talent and knowledge in one place and not really have the great technique discussion / interaction that you might have expected -- but as Seth said, this is sort of due to the broadcast environment and we will make improvements in the future.

ANyways, thanks for viewing -- I'll let you know if there's going to be a chat tonight as soon as I hear back from Marcus.

#5 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 3:11 PM

kstateskier

Wade

When will WebChat#4 be available to view? I had to work late and missed it... thanks

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#6 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 3:15 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

You can watch the Last Chat Here

#7 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 3:55 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

I have been lucky enough to attend all 3 chats and I agree with Joel that it is an awful hard position to be in as the moderator. However, we ,as members of the audience, might want to give some thought as to what we expect. In my opinion, what I am looking for in these chats are concepts, theories, news about the industry, etc. When the weather breaks, I hope to take the new ideas and concepts, adjusted to my particular style, and  work on the application via the PSC format. This is a great format to bridge the winter and I hope that Marcus and Wade will continue. Just my opinion..Joe

#8 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 4:56 PM

kstateskier

Wade

Looks like the link you posted goes to LiveChat#3.  I'm looking for last nights #4?

KstateSkier

#9 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 4:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Right. #3. That's the most recent one.

skibuddy wrote:

I have been lucky enough to attend all 3 chats

#10 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 7:54 PM

kstateskier

oh my bad reading the first post here talking about having Jamie and a few other skiers in the chat I thought I missed one.   Sorry Wade I'm a nut!

KstateSkier

#11 Wed, Jan 20, 2010 9:02 PM

david38off
Slasher
Skis At: 34 mph
Foot Forward: left

I really like the idea of the live chat sessions!  I think it is great to have access to ski pros like Marcus, Wade, Chris , etc.  But I must admit I do agree with Dan that I would like to see some discussion from them on technique.  Even a brief "lesson" if you will, in addition to general discussions on what is new in the sport of waterskiing.  I think that alot of guys and gals who are likely to tune in want to hear from them on technique .  We want to know their "secrets".   I feel in the long run this will pay off for us and for them.

#12 Thu, Jan 21, 2010 2:06 AM

schill8716
Skis At: Sparta, VA

To be honest, I think this chat is great either way it is going. Im glad that someone like Marcus is stepping up to the plate and trying something new. The chat seems to be early in its development so over time Im sure that it will take different directions. All in all, the chat will draw people as more and more people talk about it amongst skiers. Keep up the good work.

#13 Thu, Jan 21, 2010 2:11 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

kstateskier wrote:

oh my bad reading the first post here talking about having Jamie and a few other skiers in the chat I thought I missed one.   Sorry Wade I'm a nut!

Righton man. Jamie and Richard apparently weren't too pumped up about the idea after a long day on the slopes! Maybe next time ... and we're going to find Marcus a cohost and get some guests on there on a regular basis in the future.

#14 Thu, Jan 21, 2010 2:35 AM

danbirch
Slasher

WadeWilliams wrote:

... and we're going to find Marcus a cohost and get some guests on there on a regular basis in the future.

Very Cool, Wade.  VERY COOL!

#15 Sat, Jan 23, 2010 9:28 PM

MarcusBrown

Hey all.  I can't thank you enough for even checking us out on here, let alone taking the time to share you're input and thoughts.  So stoked to have people like Karina, Rossi, etc on here and hope this continues to grow and be valuable.  Totally hear you on the "Technique vs Cool" content. 

Just FYI, I have been slowly dialing in the software/computer challenges as we go.  The first Webchat didn't record, and thus couldn't be archived.  To be honest, the first two live webchats were 150% technique driven, even to the point that I had to repeat things in the 2nd that I had already covered in the 1st, because the 1st was lost.  Ideally, I want to cover EVERYTHING!  Actually, let me say, I hope that the live Webshow covers everything....meaning, we get enough diversity in front of the camera that we can cover everything, and everyone.  That is the goal.

We will be live again, this coming Monday, Jan 25th, with hopefully our first guess co-host.  Keep the input coming....positive or negative. It all helps.

Thanks again everyone!

MB

#16 Sun, Jan 24, 2010 2:02 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Here's an idea, from living in Reno/tahoe for a long time, Glenn Plake does a show on the tahoe network, and they have a couple of other shows that are pretty cool and similar.  Glenn's show goes from place to place doing different things, talking about stuff and having a good time, it is fun to watch. 

So building on that theme the fireside chats could be segmented.
Show a cool new song/vid, maybe a pro running 41 off, Parish trick skiing, maybe a 22 off 12 year old.

Then field some questions on boat shows, tournaments, technology, etc. 
Show another video, go into another segment:" ski technique."  Not only would it be a good chance to critique some technique, it could also give Marcus an opportunity to dial in the next topic while the video segment is going.

Just a thought.

Todd

#17 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 2:33 PM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

I was worried that I would miss them being from the other side of the pond, but super stoked to see them archived.
This is such a good thing, you got to keep with it guys!
Being that you are at the epicentre for skiing its great to hear what's going on.
There is a huge ski scene outside of the US and we need to hear what’s happening, this is the way to do it!

I understand it’s a difficult balance to achieve; giving away trade secrets etc, in doing so you have potentially lost revenue..
It’s a very fine balance and hes in a tricky spot but think he handles it well.

(this is only my impression, I maybe wrong or right)

Marcus is looking to progress the sport and he feels the best way to do this is getting back to the routes of skiing so it has better exposure. In doing this, the sport needs to be simplified and "open" . open to new people and not the lake "clicks" you get at so many private places. Also not getting heavy with the tech stuff, to the advanced skier its great but to the newbie, its long division with a side order of rocket science... confusing!
not what the sport needs right now. MB has highlighted some fundamental issues within the sport, got to give the guy some props for saying how it is!!

I was fascinated by his guest Dave Wingerter giving you a little peek of the action behind the scenes.
it’s not something I thought I would sit down and listen to, but I really enjoyed it. had my eyes opened.
MB you may question if people would be interested in some obscure behind the scene person, but we are!
you have highlighted Dave’s achievements and captured our imaginations at the same time! win win.
And he was a super cool guy, thanks Dave for stepping up.

without being controversial:
I get the impression MB has much to say and wants to speak the truth about where he sees the sport.... but holds back.
Its a shame but I completely understand why. good to hear someone talk straight without the B$....
I think his honesty is enlightening he’s sees wrong and says it how it is, we need waaay more people in the sport to take this approach.
breaking down the Olympic issue was great to hear, and the stargazer ,ZO issue... haha. at last someone openly said it how it is!

You are all doing a stella job, keep it up. I would love to see it progress to something like skufftv, http://www.skuff.tv/.
I really think someone like MB could do a slot on there and expose the sport how it should be done!

Again top job Marcus (and the guys around him) keep it up!

#18 Fri, Jan 29, 2010 3:20 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Thanks for the great feedback! Keep it coming!

The next live chat is scheduled for the new "regular" time -- 6PM Pacific, 9PM Eastern, on Monday Night (feb 1 upcoming!)

For those of you overseas, we'll archive the webcast again for you.

This week's guest is Seth Stisher from H2Osmosis -- should be awesome!

\/\/

#19 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 9:18 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

We are having one of our four ski club meetings tonight at 6:30 so i will not beable to join tonights chat.
If Marcus goes into tech questions would you see if he could shed some light on his gate? It seems very unique when you look at other pros gates. Why he does it? pros and cons on it? Does he recomend it to others or would it be suggested on a skier by skier basis.
The reason i ask is this is one area i really struggle in.

Thanks, MC

#20 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 10:26 PM

kstateskier

8pm tonight! Perfect, should be just getting home from the gym!

KstateSkier

#21 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 5:13 AM

rgdinsda

Just want to thank Wade and Marcus for putting on these webcasts.  I have not been able to catch them live, but I really appreciate them and I love watching them.  Keep them coming.

#22 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 6:29 AM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Just finished watching the web cast and i just want to say "Hell Ya" this stuff rocks! Makes me wana pick up a stranger and take them to the lake and put a ski on there feet and tell them to go shred.  Middle of winter in utah and i cant wait to waterskiing. I might need a plane ticket soon at this rate.
Seriously thanks Wade, Marcus and Seth for making this happen tonight.

MC

#23 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 2:33 PM

danbirch
Slasher

Great Job, Marcus, on Last night's Chat with Seth.  The Picture in Picture was VERY cool!  The content was well balanced.  I am glad you're doing this for the sport!  Continue your quest for perfecting it, and most of all, keep up the great work!

#24 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 5:11 PM

MarcusBrown

Thanks folks for checkin us out! 
Big thanks to Seth for taking time out of his vacation (got his wife with him down in Costa Rica, and he ends up spending 1.5 hrs staring at his computer screen) and to Wade for continued support and ideas.

Looking forward to making this better and better.

MB

#25 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 5:37 PM

TheShirt
Skis At: Clemson, SC

Last night was my first chat (maybe ever...), and I really enjoyed it.  After being out of skiing for about 10 years, I was one of those guys who said "I just ski old style - don't tell me about that West Coast stuff."  I have figured out that I do apply some of the principals anyway, and it has helped me, but today I got on line and have done some reading.....about West Coast skiing.  And geeking out about it.  Seth has planted some of the concept in my mind already, and I'm planning to spend a few days with him at the end of March working on it some, and trying some new skis. 

Thank you for putting on the chat.  I will be back!

Board footer