Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 21, 2009 10:36 PM

CamRon

Old Schnitz - Good or Bad?

My friend and ski partner Chris ( also known as Patrizzio Buzzota ) started slalom skiing last year in Florida.  He picked up an old Schnitz Ski off a friend for cheap and has been skiing on it ever since.  It must be at least 15-20 years old and weighs at least twice as much as my 09 Monza.  He claims that if you ski it properly its one of the best skis you can have, but I disagree.  The ski seems to stop suddenly out of nowhere around the ball, but its hard to blame it on the ski for sure.  Would it be beneficial to continue learning on this kind of ski and upgrade later, or would it be considered detrimental to his skiing as he is learning?  He can run 36 on a good day as it stands..

[Tactic Media] [Slow Motion Ski Edits Dropping Summer 2010]

#2 Tue, Sep 22, 2009 6:39 AM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Old Schnitz - Good or Bad?

Schnitz, what do you reckon?

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#3 Tue, Sep 22, 2009 2:52 PM

CamRon

It is a waterski company that has gone out of business a few years ago... I found this picture of the ski http://lh5.ggpht.com/_s0jgjyk_La8/SI46y8OPWSI/AAAAAAAAELc/UxBaI2Iz0Ys/IMG_2243.jpg

[Tactic Media] [Slow Motion Ski Edits Dropping Summer 2010]

#4 Tue, Sep 22, 2009 3:26 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

A few years back Steve Schnitzer (inventor of quite a few things slalom and virtual coach at this site) used to build, or had is name affiliated, with a slalom ski design or two. It goes without saying, they did not quite catch on. They pop up on ebay every here and again.

It's best to get a ski that you feel comfortable on. Newer skis offer vastly improved forgiveness. Either the designs help the skier to be more technically sound, or the skis are able to perform better despite flaws in technique; reality is probably a blending of the two. The good news is that between model closeout sales and skiers that have to have a new ski each year, high quality equipment is readily available at a significant discount to the sticker price.

#5 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 2:02 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

The ski is cool but it is kinda behind the times now. I think Schnitz is even on a newer model ski now...

#6 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 4:47 PM

Schnitz

In their day, my skis pushed the other manufacturers to build better performing products.  When Dave Goode introduced his ski line, my sales stopped.  To this day, no ski company builds a ski with the same process that Goode uses.  This I truly believe is what sets Goode apart from everyone else.  The R-41 is a very old design.  I suggest you upgrade to a Goode, just as I have (I sell them). 

Schnitz!
http://www.schnitzskis.com/

Board footer