Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 5:42 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Pinch Shoulder Blades Together

I worked the dock at a collegiate tournament last weekend, and heard something over and over – well maybe 6-7 times. The more experienced kids were telling other team members to pinch their shoulder blades together. I kinda remember hearing this before, but don't remember the context - what’s this about? 

When I've been relaxing my arms when the line loads up, I've been relaxing my upper back too which let's my shoulders pull forward relative to my chest... Should I stay strong across my back and relax only my arms?

#2 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 5:49 PM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond

Re: Pinch Shoulder Blades Together

I can see how that would work...  I think this would help to keep your core strong through the wakes as well as keeping your hips up and strong.  I know that this will keep your elbows (or better handle control by keeping the line tight and close in) there fore keeping good control of your handle...

I am interested to see what other will have to say~

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#3 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 6:36 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Man, I can't resist jumping in here with all these wonderful LFF skiers!!!

I would say; 1st and foremost being square to the back of the boat is a priority for the full effect. For me, I don't "Feel' as though I am necessarily tightening up my upper body as much as simply "Aligning" my upper body with great posture. This should be a great Leveraged position w/o engaging a lot of force to hold the position.

Shoulders become pinched automatically when you Arch your back slightly, puff your chest out and slightly roll your shoulders back. (now drop your hands to your waist and By-George you've got it!)

How would the typical Guy posture himself if he were in a bar and someone said something derogatory his way, and with a little authority and his best DeNiro  responded:  -"Talkin' to me, Talkin' to me"???  (Except, keep those elbows a little tighter to the body!!!) -ha,ha!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 10:02 PM

H20SkiGirl

Now that was an awesome response...  Now when I pull out for the gates I will think about this for sure big_smile

#5 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 12:39 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

Yep - makes sense. Thanks dawg!  I've been getting my hips to handle reasonably well, but not getting the posture you describe w/ arching back. This might be why my upper rib cage is hurting most of the time... my shoulders are pulled forward on chest, w/ arched back, load would be more downward wrt upper body.

#6 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 1:07 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

H20SkiGirl wrote:

Now that was an awesome response...  Now when I pull out for the gates I will think about this for sure big_smile

Ha,ha!!! thats funny!smile

Of course now that I think about it, You've got a great idea! I'm going to try approaching my turn out while staring down the buoy's (and with my best DeNiro) say; "You Talkin' to Me,? -You Talkin' to Me"???

Sounds like a perfect posture and attitude to attack the course with!!!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 2:37 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Got it, ski like deNiro

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/2_de_niro_gun.jpg

#8 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 4:24 PM

snow1122

LOL.............

Snow

#9 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 5:23 PM

H20SkiGirl

Hee hee... That was good Wade !!!  Today when I go out for sure that pic will be in my head as I repeat "You Talkin' To Me?"

#10 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 9:08 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Thats Good Wade!

Or as Chevy Chase might say; "Ha, ha, ha,  Yeeeeeeeeeesssssss   -I LIKE IT"!!!smile

#11 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 9:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

All in good fun. Not sure how much this will really help yer skiing though.

Rip it!

#12 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 11:45 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

WadeWilliams wrote:

All in good fun. Not sure how much this will really help yer skiing though.

Rip it!

Surely not near as much as a little "Hands on" @ Skitek Or a little Video on Virtual! (I still like the whole "Bad A" DeNiro attitude thing though!!!)big_smile

#13 Fri, Sep 18, 2009 4:00 AM

H20SkiGirl

Ok so tonight I went out on my brand new ski that came in the Mail today at 2 pm smile. I Love my brand new Karina Nowlen Limited Edition 64.25 inch Goode ski .....   It was amazing!  But to get to the point on this thread as I came In to the coarse on my hardest pass (32 off) I said to my self "You Talk'n To Me" and I ran a Very smooth 32 off pass and in fact got 1.5 at 35 off just .5 buoys from my best EVER !!!  I am totally stoked right now smile I even could see the pic Wade posted LOL...

#14 Fri, Sep 18, 2009 12:26 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

H20SkiGirl wrote:

Ok so tonight I went out on my brand new ski that came in the Mail today at 2 pm smile. I Love my brand new Karina Nowlen Limited Edition 64.25 inch Goode ski .....   It was amazing!  But to get to the point on this thread as I came In to the coarse on my hardest pass (32 off) I said to my self "You Talk'n To Me" and I ran a Very smooth 32 off pass and in fact got 1.5 at 35 off just .5 buoys from my best EVER !!!  I am totally stoked right now smile I even could see the pic Wade posted LOL...

Thats totally Cool!smile -Way to go!

I wonder if we could get Radar or ??? to come out with;  The "Deniro"  limited underground edition!big_smile

#15 Fri, Sep 18, 2009 1:46 PM

H20SkiGirl

Hmmm...  Not too bad of an idea smile If someone is brave or funny enough they could get one of Terry's ski skin's designed to fit!

Board footer