Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Sep 28, 2010 11:18 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Safer handle

Safer handle.
I put up a post earlier in the year where I taped a handle to help stop a head or arm from going through the handle. It seemed to work fine with the exception of towards the end of the summer there was a little sticky residue in a couple of spots.

Here is my latest deflector. As you can see by the picture, for $4.80, you can get multiple plastic plates cut to fit your handle and have a storage box to boot. Or, cut up the box as well for more protectors for all your friends. Draw the shape of you handle, (include a center divider if you wish) and simply cut with heavy scissors or a knife, then drill holes for your zip ties. You of course can use more zip ties if you wish.

There is no “safe”, but we should do what we can to reduce some obvious dangers.

I hope this helps protect some of my fellow skiers.

By the way, I thread my own handles and I bent this one for comfort. I think it helps my elbows.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6212_steri_handle.jpg

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#2 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 12:35 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Safer handle

That is Too Funny! (Ironic anyway...) I made one last year from the very same product only mine is Royal Blue like the Royal Blue stripes on my Bu!

But, the "Too Funny" part is: that as you were posting your above post, I was out making my 3rd one for a Brand new Radar Handle I just got today!!!

I'll try to post a pic of my latest and the remains of the lid tomorrow!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 4:30 PM

kpickett

That's great.  Do you make your own skis to save a few bucks, too?

#4 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 5:07 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Kyle, it depends where your goals are.

Just about anything placed in the bridle will keep your head out of the handle. I believe Thomas Wayne when he says that it took careful design and many iterations to build something that effectively guides your hand away when you punch at the space between the ropes.

Bud, as I noted when you posted the tape rendition. If it is too flexible, you can get into a situation where the safety panel will actually guide your hand into and through the handle. (that is also my concern with, at the very least, the soft version of the FM guard)

#5 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 5:40 PM

kpickett

HO410 - yes, I know, and that was more sarcastic than I usually am, but I find the whole handle guard argument really frustrating.  We spend so much money on this sport - boats, skis, lake memberships, gas, etc., etc., etc., - how much is it worth to save your arm or to save your life?  I don't get why people won't spend $50 for a real safety improvement. 

Thomas Wayne's Arm Guard is a great design.  The second generation is even better than the first.  It's well thought out.  It's well built.  His customer service is excellent.  He replaced an old one of mine that cracked for free, even when I offered to pay.  He overnighted the new one to me, also for free. 

My wife is a beginning course skier.  We've all seen the kind of slack beginners can get into.  How much is her safety worth to me?  At least $50.

These threads, and this is just the latest, aren't about safety.  They're personal attacks on TW.  There's a lot of chatter on the message boards.  I've learned a lot from many people.  My skiing has improved because of many comments I've read.  But, TW is the only one who has actually made me safer.  I don't know him, but I appreciate what he's done, and he can't be making any money on the product.

#6 Wed, Sep 29, 2010 6:30 PM

Thomas Wayne

kpickett wrote:

[...] I don't know him, but I appreciate what he's done, and he can't be making any money on the product.

Oh Geez - please don't say "can't" - it just sounds too...final!  It's true we're still many thousands $ in the hole on the project, but we have to remain hopeful that someday it will actually pay for itself.

TW

#7 Thu, Sep 30, 2010 12:19 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

There has NEVER been a time that I have posted ANYTHING derogatory or inflammatory towards TW, or his Cool inovations! and I doubt there ever will be a time... I also have done nothing but support his efforts on Both His "Arm Guard" and the water filled Buoys in writing... Not to mention his insanely Off the Hook Pool cues!cool

But, truth be known, I'm a bit of a creative type myself. Combine that with this Fricken economy and you'll find a Guy like me who has a lot of extra time on his hands and does not have any extra $$$ (none, Zip. nada) in his hands to pay for much of anything...

I would LOVE to have a new fricken Strada, I'd Like to have been able to ski this Season more then a hand full of times. Come to think of it, I wish I could afford an Elite or a Goode and if it seemed too short, long, soft or slow then I would simply go buy a Strada like a lot of these other spoiled brats out there. Crap, my old '04 Rlxi isn't even ZO capable. Sure would be nice to go out and buy a new 200 just to keep up with the Jones' or just because my "Old Boat" is already 2 fricken yrs. old...

I even got the cheap ass plastic for my cheap ass guard @ Wal Mart. It ain't nowhere as good as TW's for sure. (and I would NEVER make one for someone else.) But, it is sure as Hell better then Nothing. and I'm at least worth that!wink

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/4584_lake_010.jpg

P.S. Even that Damn Handle is a Freakin' 2nd that I got for $29.00... roll

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Sep 30, 2010 12:30 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Thu, Sep 30, 2010 2:18 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Kpickett,

You said:”…and that was more sarcastic than I usually am, but I find the whole handle guard argument really frustrating.”
and
“These threads, and this is just the latest, aren't about safety.  They're personal attacks on TW.”

I assure you that I had NO negative intentions with sharing a safety tip. It is sad that you interpreted it in a way that frustrated yourself. Life is too short for that.

A safety tip is not an argument. I was not comparing quality; I was simply sharing a safety tip.

I’m happy you were able to get your guard replaced when it cracked. Was it cracked in a way that could have allowed your arm to go through it during a fall or just a cosmetic problem?

Let me share a happiness tip. Don’t go through life imagining people are out to get you. Just be happy. If you are reading this, consider yourself blessed. Many people fought and died so that we can have this and countless other freedoms.

Also, h20dawg79, your handle guard looks great and safer than an open handle. You should post it on TWSF also for people to see how good it looks.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#9 Thu, Sep 30, 2010 5:05 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

BudMan wrote:

Also, h20dawg79, your handle guard looks great and safer than an open handle. You should post it on TWSF also for people to see how good it looks.

Thanx Bud!

I appreciate your input on the boards and your desire to help others... -I'll check out the TWSF. I've never been there B4.

Board footer