Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 7:37 PM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

Sequence Plate Wearing Out?

For those of you using the Sequence Plate by Radar, how often do you replace it?  I was just checking my ski settings and screws over lunch in preparation for some skiing tonight and noticed that the front two spacers (that the screws go through and sit between the ski and the plate) are completely worn down where the plate touches the spacer. I tried turning the spacers 45 degrees so that there was enough surface area for the plate to sit on, but then noticed the plate itself has worn down right where the plate rests on the spacers.  I've owned the plate and RS-1 boots for about a year and a half and probably ski about 50 sets/year.  I'm surprised it was so worn down over that time. 

Which leads me to my question.  Is it normal to have to replace the spacers and/or plate itself every season or two?  Spacers will probably be cheap, assuming I can find them, but I'm not too jazzed about having to replace the entire plate.  Curious what others have done.

Travis Ogden

#2 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 10:10 PM

ScotChipman

Re: Sequence Plate Wearing Out?

Travis, Very common/normal to have to replace the spacers but not the plate. How much is the plate worn?

Scot Chipman

#3 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 10:11 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Sounds like both metals are too soft. Seems like some sort of washer (used from day one) would be good. You know, like some sort of durable plastic or graphite that could be changed when needed. There are just four needed I think. I have a belt sander that has a graphite pad between the belt and machine to reduce wear. It is very durable. The old animal bindings had some type of plastic spacers that seemed to last. Maybe you could get what you need and then flip your plate over and use the other side.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#4 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 10:39 PM

tjo

Scot, the plate is still usable, but there is a noticeable groove where the spacer has been rubbing...about a 1/4 of the way through the plate.  Surprised me since I don't ski all that much, compared to someone that lives in an area with year round skiing.  I don't like the idea of having my binding move around unnecessarily while pushing the limits on the course.   

Budman, interesting idea. I'll have to look at it and see if that will work.  However, if memory serves, the place for the screws that go in the bottom of the plate to attach the boots to the plate only work on one side...that is, the holes are machined in a way to seat them correctly on the underside only.  Again, going off of memory here so I don't know that for sure. 

I think I'll take it to the local Radar dealer and see what they say about it and if I get desperate maybe I'll try flipping it over.

Travis Ogden

#5 Mon, Aug 2, 2010 10:57 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake

Oh yea! You are right. I think they are counter sunk and have some sort of glide plate/spacer on the bottom.

Is the plate warn elongated as if it was flexing across the spacers or warn round like it was not flexing. I'm curious.

Either way, I think a larger diameter spacers than the original and wear washers should fix you up.

Last edited by BudMan (Mon, Aug 2, 2010 11:00 PM)

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#6 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 1:00 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

my spacers are worn exactly like that as well, maybe 60 or so sets on them, my plate doesn't seem to be worn really.

been meaning to email them for a set of hardware and some laces for my rs1 boots.

I've seen other types of spacers on different sequence plates fwiw

#7 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 1:22 AM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

I have worn both the spacers and the plate and the plate wear became worse with the newer stainless spacers.  I now use my own spacers which are made from straight aluminum spacers that go through a pair of delrin washers which form the shoulder.  These washers are .5 inch outside diameter for more surface area and the inside diameter is sized for the aluminum spacer outside diameter.  Works well.

Last edited by Deke (Tue, Aug 3, 2010 1:26 AM)

#8 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 11:47 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Deke, where did you get your parts? Can you post any pic's?

Thanx!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#9 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 2:52 PM

tjo

BudMan wrote:

Is the plate warn elongated as if it was flexing across the spacers or warn round like it was not flexing. I'm curious.

Either way, I think a larger diameter spacers than the original and wear washers should fix you up.

Budman, the wear marks on the plate are a bit elongated.  Looks like it is from the continuous flex.

Travis Ogden

#10 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 4:03 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Brass is generally softer than aluminum, correct? If that is the case, a brass analog (not the slightest clue if this would be generally available) may be a good solution. You just have to keep tabs the spacers until you know their lifespan and replace accordingly.

I recall seeing similar threads early on in the RS-1 run. Good reminder, I'll remember to take a peek at the plate the next time I get out to ski.

#11 Tue, Aug 3, 2010 7:37 PM

tjo

Dropped in to my local Radar dealer today and explained the situation.  They sent me off with four new spacers free of charge.  I suspect any Radar dealer would do the same.  For me it'll be easier to just get the replacement spacers once a year, rather than trying to create some other fix. 

Also note that you will need to replace the rear AND front spacers.  In the above thread I only mentioned the front spacers, but my rear spacers needed to be replaced as well (they were not worn as bad as the front, but still enough to cause excess movement).

One final note...I suspect that the wear I have on my plate is due to me neglecting to replace the spacers sooner.  With the worn down spacers, my plate was moving around much more than it should have been (sliding up and down the worn spacer).  So, word to the wise...check and replace your spacers!

Last edited by tjo (Tue, Aug 3, 2010 7:40 PM)

Travis Ogden

#12 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 1:41 AM

Deke

h20dawg79 wrote:

Deke, where did you get your parts? Can you post any pic's?

Thanx!

Parts are from McMaster-Carr

95647A125  Wear-Resistant Delrin (Acetal) Flat Washer 1/4" Screw Size, .5" OD, .02"-.04"
92510A036  Aluminum Unthreaded Round Spacer 1/4" OD, 7/32" Length, #8 Screw Size

You may need either 2 or 3 delrin washers depending on the actual thickness and the thickness of the plastic on the bottom of your Sequence Plate.

Here's a link to a sketch...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mt … directlink

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e96yUbokWag/TFjCsZhCxzI/AAAAAAAACAs/Yf0U78wzBtI/s800/spacer.jpg

Last edited by Deke (Fri, Aug 6, 2010 3:14 AM)

#13 Wed, Aug 4, 2010 2:56 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

Thanks for the post Travis.  I'll have to check mine tonight.

Garn

#14 Thu, Aug 19, 2010 12:35 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Deke,
The "neck washers" under my Sequence Plate are spent.  I've got the McMaster stuff arriving today.   Just to clarify...are you only using the delrin washers on the underside of the Plate (between the plate and ski), or do you put one on top of the plate as well??
TIA.
Dave

#15 Thu, Aug 19, 2010 12:58 PM

Deke

Delrin just goes under the plate.  The delrin washers act as a thrust washer.  I used the original screw and trim washer on top since I didn't see any wear there.  The aluminum spacer just creates the space between the insert and the top hardware so the whole thing acts the same as the original.  The only difference is that the shoulder is now delrin and has more bearing surface.

#16 Thu, Aug 19, 2010 1:32 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Deke, Thanx for the info. and pic's! cool(I somehow missed your post waaaaaaay back on the 3rd!)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer