Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 8:36 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

Help with the fin/wing

I'm skiing on a 1995 HO Extreme and just now started taking skiing seriously.  I've had my mom take frame by frame pictures of me when i go out and I've noticed that the front of my ski is high out of the water when im in my cut. I'm skiing 25 off at about 33 mph. The front of the fin is pulled down alot and the wing is still in the manufactures setting along with the boots. How should I adjust the ski, or is it something i need to do with form or something.

Also I found an HO Monza for $500 with front and back boots (really hard to pass up haha) and was wondering what you thought of that ski.

Thanks,
Phillip

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#2 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 9:32 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Help with the fin/wing

Okay, first thing is first. You need to beg, borrow, or buy calipers and find out the measurements on the fin. It is not enough to look at the little screen-printed hash marks, you need to be able to measure accurately to at least 1/100th in, 1/1000th in is preferable. Also take a tape and measure from the tail of the ski to the heel rubber on your front boot.

See: http://www.proskicoach.com/gear/fin_measurement/

What year is the Monza and what are the boots? That could actually be a little overpriced.

#3 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 12:57 AM

philgood

its an 05 monza with animal boots.

#4 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 1:43 AM

HO410

Skis are obviously worth different amounts to private sellers. Sometimes people try to get as much back as possible, other times they just don't need the ski and want to see a few dollars come back in. Personally I would want no part of that one. First, with used rubber boots I assume they'll need new overlays very soon (add another $25 a boot). Second, that ski valuation is also out of whack. Take a look at ski-it-again.com. $300 should get you a 2007, and even more skis will come on as spring approaches. There are also some very good deals at the radar outlet: www.radarskistore.com 

Let me know what size ski you are looking for. There's one last tournament this weekend and someone is always selling something. As far as monzas go, I am aware of at least one 66" 2007 that is asking $250 and one 66" 2006 that is asking $200.

#5 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 4:33 PM

philgood

no this ski is brand new and the boots are still in the box. Its from a watersports store. Thanks for the info tho thats alotta money that i could have wasted! I don't know alot about skis and different brands, but I'm looking for a 67" and something that i can progress on and keep for a while

Last edited by philgood (Fri, Aug 28, 2009 4:44 PM)

#6 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 4:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

I think you can get a lot more ski for your money, unless you have a real hankering to ski on the 2005 Monza

#7 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 4:45 PM

philgood

do you have any recomendations? Help with boots would be good too.
Thanks

Last edited by philgood (Fri, Aug 28, 2009 5:09 PM)

#8 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 5:50 PM

HO410

For me, if I'm going to ski rubber bindings, they will be Wiley's. Because Wiley's are built with a closed toe in the front boot, the overlay does not have to be as tight or thick. This helps to reduce the pressure on your foot when you fall and come out of the boots. There are no laces to cinch down too tight, and they are cheaper than most bindings out there.

Animals and Venoms are pretty good too: the animals being the stiffer of the two. Personally, I would avoid front lace boots like the plague. I don't know why, but if I put on Approaches and cinch them to feel as tight as Animals, they will not let go of my foot without a serious fight. If I loosen them to feel comfortable about coming out, the boots feel sloppy.

Currently I ski the Radar RS-1 boots.

#9 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 5:58 PM

philgood

ok one last question, should i go with an HO Monza, a Radar MPD, or a Radar Senate

Last edited by philgood (Fri, Aug 28, 2009 6:01 PM)

#10 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 6:17 PM

HO410

The Senate will be a more versatile ski. A little bit more surface area. A little more comfortable at slower speeds. A little bit more stable in rough water. That would be my choice unless I was on a private lake, but even then I might still choose it.

If you can get a demo, do it.

Last edited by HO 410 (Fri, Aug 28, 2009 6:18 PM)

#11 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 7:53 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

HO 410 wrote:

The Senate will be a more versatile ski. A little bit more surface area. A little more comfortable at slower speeds. A little bit more stable in rough water. That would be my choice unless I was on a private lake, but even then I might still choose it.

If you can get a demo, do it.

I would even say to go ahead and check out the Senate "C". I really don't know if there's a better 32-34 mph ski made. Shop around and I know you can't find a better carbon ski for the price...

Check out G/T's post:
http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=991

I'm waiting on Radar to put the S/C technology into an INT approved Wide ride!smile

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Fri, Aug 28, 2009 7:55 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer