Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 1:33 PM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

Remove wing from fin?

Do you guys recommend removing the wing from the fin if you are skiing 15 off 30 - 31 mph?

#2 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 4:00 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Remove wing from fin?

Yes

#3 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 4:08 PM

GarrettGroller

thanks wade

#4 Thu, Aug 27, 2009 5:28 PM

mbabiash
Foot Forward: left foot forward

Wade
When is a good speed or line length to start using the wing.  I ski at 34 mph 15 off and am working on 22 now. 
I have the wing on now but wondered if the ski would act a lot different without the wing.  Your thoughts would be great.

Matt

#5 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 4:35 AM

2gofaster

I wouldn't even think of putting a wing on most skis until at least 32 of at 34mph.

Shane Hill

#6 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 1:33 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

The shorter you can go without the wing the better, to some degree, because it will just teach you better balance at the slower speeds and longer lines.

You can definitely get thru 22 wingless though... @ max speed.

#7 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 1:53 PM

mbabiash
Foot Forward: left foot forward

If I remove the wing, do I need to be careful the first couple of passes.  Will it ski different?  Less stable?
Turn different?  I  know it will be faster.

Matt

#8 Fri, Aug 28, 2009 2:04 PM

2gofaster

Matt, I don't call it faster. I'd say less effort without the wing. The ski will roll edge to edge quicker. Without the wing, the tip will be less engaged in the turn, though. So you will be forced to stand tall over the ski and get your balance correct and counter from your ankles up. Both of those things are good to be working on anyway. This will engage the tip. Depending on the ski, it might feel less stable in a straight line. I ran my RS1, Senate C, and Sixam SS without a wing the last two years. On my new Elite, I have to run a wing because it feels like the ski rides too high on the water without it.

Shane Hill

Board footer