Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Aug 24, 2009 5:22 PM

ktm300

Kid slalom

My 62 pound nine year old daughter has, out of no where, latched on to skiing like you would not believe.  Out of the past 30 days, she has skied 27.  She wakes me up on Sat & Sun to go.  She was sick one day and cried because I would not let her ski.  Cool.  She is ready for a sportier slalom.  One friend told me that it works well to cut the tail off of a high end ski, re slot it and go.  Have my beloved old Monza in the basement.  Is this the best route or do kids progress easier on a kid specific ski like a Revolt?  If any of you have tried and found success with the sawed off method, how much length should I cut off of a 67" Monza.  ....damn that ski was good to me.  Thanks! 

ps I am having more fun with her excitement than I have ever had with my own skiing and that's saying a lot.

#2 Mon, Aug 24, 2009 5:43 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Kid slalom

The revolt is a kiddie ski with the Monza shape. As recently as 2007, HO has made a 63.5" Monza and it does ski better than the Revolt. The HO judge is a little shorter, and a used one might be a good step up ski. Next year HO will have a short A1 available (which I would highly recommend once she's ready for a top ski).

D3 also makes 63" skis.

#3 Mon, Aug 24, 2009 6:01 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

My son skis on a HO Judge 61' probably perfect for his size until he gets a little older.
He makes the course 26-28mhp 15'off.
The ski has been a wonderful ski for him.

#4 Tue, Aug 25, 2009 4:01 AM

JohnN

There's pretty big threads on this at thewaterskiforum.  That being said, the two best skis for kids I've seen are the 59" KD7000 if you can find one, and the 62" Nomad RCX on the high end.

Enjoy the start of your career as a boat driver!

#5 Tue, Aug 25, 2009 1:01 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

I just went trough the kid ski market lately and there are very good ski out there. If kid is really light Judge than revolt than any high end (used ) in the 63'' will do fine. My son was on o'brien Amigo combo(5-6-7 year old), move to skiing slalom on the Amigo(7-8), moved to a Mapple 61''(9-10) (i got used on Ski it again) and last year started skiing on a blem 2006 monza( 11-12). You have to follow the kid growth and ski progression. Go slow, buy used stuff ( they don't put alot of stress on the equipment), and when they are skiing fast enough buy a good high en ski from one or 2 seasons( take the one with killer graphic they will be happy). Waterskiing is a funny sport unless you have the next Andy Mapple progression is really staircase like. Resume by used or past year stuff there is plenty and buy better stuff for less. my 2 cent.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

Board footer