Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 3:09 AM

longhornskier
Skis At: Frameswitch
Foot Forward: Right

Stable upper body

Since there is a drought in central Texas this summer i am only getting on the water about every other weekend, which has absolutely killed my form. The only way i have been able adequately counter rotate during my preturn is to stare at the shoreline during the edge change/release and influence the rest of my body using my head. If i do this smoothly it works fine for now, but i have always been a fan of keeping a still head for better overall vision and balance. When i get to 35/38 i have a tendency to jerk my head around too hard causing me to lose some balance and drop my shoulders and chest to the boat which makes my turns really inconsistent. Is there anything else i could think about as a quick fix for this until i get some decent practice?

#2 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 1:04 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Re: Stable upper body

You might be edge changing and releasing at the same time, causing you to go narrow before you have a chance to counter.  The catch is what happened prior to this?  Poor angle?  Too long pull?

#3 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 8:33 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Stable upper body

Longhorn,

If you haven't been skiing enough, you need to keep the line a little longer. Pushing yourself at shorter line lengths when you're not in top ski shape doesn't help your mental confidence and increases potential for injury. You're better off staying at the shortest rope that you can't run really easily. Ski it enough until you can run it easily. THEN go shorter.

Keep logging your sets online, because for people like yourself with limited ski-ability, logging every set gives you a way to keep track of the things you are working on. This is really important when those sets are few and far between. Remember to read your log before you head to the lake, or while you're there on your mobile device before you hit the water!

Board footer