Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 3:28 PM

EKirby

Shorter ski

I broke my ski this week, no injury, but I'm looking for a new ski.  I am 6'4", 210 lbs, and rff.  I was running about 90% of my 15 and 22 off passes and getting deep into 28 off and occasionally running it.  I was on a 68" D3 X5.  I tried a 67.5" D3 nomad(white top) and ran back to back 15 off passes and 2 out of three 22 off passes.  I did not attempt a 28, ran out of time.  The ski felt great.  The ski felt faster side to side and had a much tighter turn radius.  My question is what are the pros and cons of skiing on such a short ski for my height and weight, long term?

#2 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 3:59 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Shorter ski

What speed are you at?

In general, the smaller ski that you can ski on the more dynamic you can be, you just have a better power-to-weight ratio that way. The smaller ski is somewhat more controllable and disipates speed faster to allow for an earlier turn. Conversely the bigger ski carries more speed, bleeds it slower due to the increased surface area (more buoyancy). Personally I feel like the smaller ski is a little harder on the body.

I think Parrish is on a 69". Ty Oppenlander is about your size and I think he's on a 68". The shorter & faster you go, the smaller the ski can be. Rossi isn't quite that big, but he's close... and on a 66" (@36-41).

If I was going to set you up on a ski I'd say bigger, but if you can make the small guy work, more power to ya.

what speed did u say you were at?

PS - I know I've been busy posting a lot of answers lately... Rossi... Seth... Trent... Jason... feel free to speak up here...

#3 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 3:59 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Ideally you want to ski on the shortest ski that still feels good under your feet. The shorter ski will be faster overall especially through the turns but will not "float" you as well at longer lines and slower speeds. That is to say the ski won't ride as high in the water and will perform better at faster speeds and shorter lines. Bottom line it sounds like the Nomad worked really well for you first time out so if it feels good then stick with it. Good luck with the rest of your season and don't forget about the Virtual Coaching we offer here at PSC! www.proskicoach.com/pros/lesson/

#4 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 4:02 PM

EKirby

I'm skiing 34 mph (49 years old)

Board footer