Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 2:33 AM

twiggy

Falling over front of ski

Ok I am 44 #240 6'5'' not the average skier. I have a malibu Lxi that I have been using to pull my kids who by the way ski really well. I thought this year I would try the sport and actually really enjoy skiing. My trouble started 2 weeks ago when I was cutting pretty hard and came over the front of my ski. I believe that I broke a rib or two so it has been a long couple of weeks. Well this week I got the courage to head back out and at the apex of the ski I start to come up and over the ski. Wack down I go and there was some pain. How do I prevent that forward movement. I feel that the ski wants to slow down as I get to that point of the curve. Maybe this is not the place to post this but I thought I would look for some ways to combat the forward translation. Currently skiing a HO Magnum. Thanks for your help.

#2 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 11:53 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Falling over front of ski

Sounds to me like you "could" be forcing the turn (trying to turn the ski harder then its predetermined design) and you are therefore, unable maintain a solid and balanced position throughout the turn... (This is "Breaking at the waist")

What size (length) Magnum?

What speed are you skiing?

Open water or in the coarse skiing?

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 1:17 PM

twiggy

Magnum 71 and btw 30-32

I think that is what I am doing is forcing the turn. I am going to try and get my knees in better position also with my back knee in the back of  my front and see how that works.

#4 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 4:20 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

I had my share of OTF's after the second wake, in my case I didn't have a correct posture (positioned in the center of the ski, knees bend)the most important thing I was not keeping the ski on edge until my edge change.

#5 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 2:17 AM

chrispenner
Foot Forward: Right

Yup I think we have all had OTF's I ruptured my left ear drum on one of those. But like they are saying body position through the wakes is key and letting the ski turn the way it was designed is also a good thing. Keep the hips up and the ski on edge and the wakes won't even affect you.

Cheers!

#6 Sat, Aug 22, 2009 1:20 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

twiggy wrote:

Magnum 71 and btw 30-32.

Those #'s sound good. Assuming that your ski is still set up @ about factory spec.'s you'll probably  do fine with a little adjustment in your turn technique.

For performance and efficiency, -I need to have a lazy turn and a strong solid pull...cool

For my sometimes aggressive Ego, -I like to feed it some totally layed-out "U-Turns"!!!big_smile

Good Luck!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer