Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 5:12 PM

nautques4ever

High End, Used Slalom Skis - Honest Advice

I just sold my 68" Black Top Monza and am in need of a FASTER used high end ski for a good price.
I am 47 years old with a PB of 2 @ 32 and no longer skiing tournaments due to my torn up front knee- Right, also like many Americans currently out of work and 15 pounds overweight at 190 lbs and 5'9".
I really want something in 68 or 68.5 that is faster than a Monza behind the boat but still turns as well. The one I just sold was a soft flex and thin tail and skiied great, just wanting something a little faster for my lazy ass.
I tried Goodes years ago and loved the acceleration but they did not seem to initiate the turns like the HO CDX, Phantom and Monzas I owned.
Are the 06,07,08  D3 Nomad or Connely F1's faster behind the Boat than the Monza?
Any Real un-biased non salesman b.s. advice would be appreciated.
Also is there any time I can come over to your place and demo and hopefully buy a used ski without coaching, just 2-3 passes on 3-4 skis with my HO Boots mounted on them?
Thank You. Rob - Orlando

#2 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 8:41 PM

buddy
Foot Forward: Right

Re: High End, Used Slalom Skis - Honest Advice

Faster than a Monza?  Is there such a beast?

#3 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 11:07 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

haha, maybe not. If you're looking for a speed machine goode is the way to go. Ofcourse if it is a 2005 Monza (black top) then the ski is probably beat up anyways.

Even if you have taken great care of the ski and not ridden it too much over the past several seasons, your ski will break down over time. In my experience a ski can flex out with the same numbers, but still feel like it is significantly slower than a brand new model of the exact same ski, with the same flex numbers, that hasn't been skied on. A new ski just feels fresh and provides more accelleration than a model that has been used for a few seasons.

Most pros ride their ski for less than 12 months of skiing. The majority run a ski for fewer ski-months than that, and the minority of the pros stay on a ski over a few seasons.

No salesman advice here. I'm just saying get a new ski and it will feel significantly faster than what you're riding now.

If you're in Orlando, you should visit Performance, pick up a demo or two, and schedule an appointment at SkiTek. Come get a set in with us to help you dial it in. I could really care less what brand ski you picked as long as it's the one that works best for you. I've got some Connelly F1s/Prophecys here if you'd like to try one. We also have some Radar RS1 demos. Performance should have anything else you're looking for.

#4 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 12:23 PM

2gofaster

buddy wrote:

Faster than a Monza?  Is there such a beast?

Yes, there is. The Obrien Elite. smile

Shane Hill

#5 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 12:50 PM

nautques4ever

Have you or anyone there had a chance to ride the 09 A-1 and S-1 ?
The S-1 sounds as it is a modernized and improved Monza....

#6 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 2:01 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

I think the S1 is closer to the A-1 in its design than the Monza. It's a little wider in the front than the a-1, and has a more rounded tail shape. Can't say I've tried it though...

#7 Tue, Aug 25, 2009 5:44 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

Go to Ski it again, there is a lot of Radar RS1 for sale ans some MPD. My son ski on a red top monza and tried my Annex 2009 and loved it. He was skiing a lot smoother on the Radar. I bought the Annex because i didn't have the money or time during my vacation to wait for shipping but my old ski a Sixam 1.1 was bought for 1\2 price on ski it again and served me well for 4 years. I think you can't go wrong with the RS1 everybody i know who tried it skied well on it, independant of their level. my 2 cents.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#8 Sun, Sep 6, 2009 5:45 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

yeah ski-it-again is the way to go. i just got an 08 Radar MPD thats never been riden for like 350 no tax and free shipping. you can find some deals on there man

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#9 Sun, Sep 6, 2009 7:56 PM

DanE

S-1 - a dream of a ski, faster or just as fast as the monza behind the boat but keeps its speed and momentum through the turn and preturn much better wich provides for an easier acceleration phase.
Plus, You can actually turn on Your offside as well.....

#10 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 5:46 PM

dcw

Speaking of skiis in general  I am a genuine rookie in that I have not been able to do the course yet. I have a sixam 2.0. I am wondering even at the rookie level will a ski like the S-1 help me to ski better?

#11 Wed, Sep 16, 2009 6:33 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Do what I have done, do and demo an S-1 and then ski on your sixam on your next set. I'm planning to get a sixam 2 having demoed half a dzen top end skis. I liked the Elite best, but cannot justify the huge cost difference.

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#12 Thu, Sep 17, 2009 6:15 AM

h20fish

If you haven't run the course yet i wouldn't worry about upgrading to the latest and greatest,, the sixam 2.0 is more than adequate enough smile,, probably better to spend the money on some coaching

#13 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 2:29 PM

nautques4ever

I picked up a Mint 68" Connelly Prophecy for $350 shipped. I have only skiied 2 sets on it so far and need to tweak the fin slightly as it seems to bite under the boots more than the Monza. It does seem faster and more forgiving in edge change than the Monza just need to get a little less bite. If you closely watch Rossi in the new Radar Strada 41 off video, you see how the front of the ski rides very high before edge change and in the finish of the turn. Simple physics ( Less Drag = More Speed ) It is controlling the speed to get a nice hook backside of the ball on BOTH sides in smooth and rough water conditions that is the key to higher bouy counts.
There is a fine line in the bending of the knee's in the pre turn to not make the ski bite and throw you forward losing angle and breaking forward vs. having not enough bent knees compression in the pre turn and the ski wanting to wash out (not enough bite) leaving you laying in the water. It is wild how all the latest top end skis ride differently with the same set-ups you were using prior but having fun and being able to improve with a newer ski is what keeps you coming back. Herb and Eddie at Radar have been making and marketing great skis for over 30 years but what is crazy now is the prices. I remember buying a Jobe Edge with double boots in the early eighties for $300, then a HO VTX with double 98's for $400, next a HO CDX with double Animals for $500, then a Phantom Blank for $450, next a Monza $550 Blank. Now with the high end ski's at $1000 Blank and average salaries worse now than the past 15 years,  I guess 1-2 year old used skies are the way to go....

#14 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 5:01 PM

Thomas Wayne

If you factor in the fact that $300.00 in the early 1980's had about the same buying power as $825.00 in 2009, then it doesn't seem quite so bad...

(Annual inflation over this time span averaged about 3.54%)

TW

Board footer