Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 6:21 PM

outofthesaddle
Foot Forward: Left

Binding Fit - Connelly Drafts

Based on good feedback from everyone - I picked up an '09 F1X on Friday from the local ski shop.  Quick background :  (i) 44 year-old; (ii) relatively new to the course; (iii) 30 mph; and (iv) working on 15' off.

I have a binding fit question.  My feet are shoe size 10.  The ski I bought has '07 Med Drafts.  Connelly's info says that their Med binding should fit size 10. I skied 2 sets on Sun and the bindings are really tight.  I was only able to make 4 passes each set without significant pain.  I want the bindings to be tight enough to feel connected to the ski but I don't want to ski in pain.  I called the local shop my guy said he's happy to go up a size but suggested that I do the hot water thing in the bathtub to see if that works.  Also, he suggested that I release the hinge during the rest between passes. 

If it's not required to get a good fit, I'd like to avoid having to release the hinge after every pass.  Should I just move up a size or should I try to stretch my current bindings?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

#2 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 6:38 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Binding Fit - Connelly Drafts

Sounds like you are probably good to go up a size. Go ahead and give it a shot with the hot water but it sounds like you have a large 10 (maybe a wide foot?) because you obviously aren't looking to be in that much pain. The drafts are a comfort-fit boot so if they aren't comfortable and you have the ability to upgrade to a larger size I say go for it.

In the same breath, I use Fogman hardshell bindings which a lot of people like for their "comfort" factor... I ratchet them down pretty tight and usually cant get much more than 6 passes before my feet are hurting a lot. I think it skis better that way.

#3 Thu, Aug 20, 2009 5:28 PM

outofthesaddle
Foot Forward: Left

Thanks Wade -

I did the bathtub dunk of the bindings last night.  I was surprised and got a little more room than I expected.  I'm hoping to get out this weekend and get a few sets in to see if I was able to stretch them enough.  Thanks again.

#4 Fri, Aug 21, 2009 12:16 AM

Bubba

I just started using the Enzo's this week, and found that they are breaking in a little slow
but i can see they'll be fine after a few more sets. Sounds like my situation is similar,
i'm on the large side for a 10. I'm going to give it a couple more sets, but i may try the hot water.

One thing to be on the lookout for is the lacing on the top of the boot. Mine tends to loosen
around mid course, alowing my ankle to bend more than i'd like. i talked to a Connely tech today,
and was told some of the newer lace retainers have been slipping, allowing the upper part of the
binding to loosen. He's sending out new/old laces and retainers or clips, that should solve the problem.

Please don't take this as a knock against Connely, I'm very happy with the fit,construction, and their
customer service. But at the same time, i would hate to see some one get an ankle bugger'd up for
something that simple.

Bubba sez
U bean warned

Board footer