Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 5:53 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

How to Keep your Hips Forward for a Killer Turn?

Hi Chris and Wade,

By the way Wade/Chris i am building my video for virtual coaching. One of the things that seems to stop me from progressing is that my hip are back in the turn....a bit sitting on the tail not that much but i see it on video. I don't know if it is a defensive reflex or a bad habit  but this is what i think could be a tipping point in my skiing if i could solve this. It has 2 impact on my skiing i am a LFF skier so my (fake gate pull) is not strong and i have a tendency to wheely a bit at the end of the turn. ( not major but noticable). I ski fairly wide and rope is tight.

I am having a soft summer in term of skiing....not enjoying it has much from frustration i think. I ski well for a recreational skier that has 4 month available and only a few weekends. The funny part is that i got a lot of people skiing in the last 3-4 years and convert 4 wakeboarders ( that is freaking hard) but in the end i am the one not having as much fun skiing anymore. I am having good sensation skiing but i am not satisfied with my level....equipment i think is good, boat is good, condition are usually good....my head is not there!

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#2 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 6:25 PM

snow1122

Re: How to Keep your Hips Forward for a Killer Turn?

Hi Jerry,

I know exactly how you feel, I was there 1month ago, almost to the point of hanging my ski:o(
What, did it for me was to free ski for 2miles or so without stopping. I did this for 7 days in a row.
Taking the pressure from being in the course did me wonders! I didn't have to stop after six turns, I had time to work on form, one arm turns, etc...turn after turn. I gained 2mph after coming home from my free skiing trip:o)
Also, look into your fin settings.........my was adjusted, it brought the tip of the ski down a bit. This has helped with my tendency to ski the back of the ski.
I'm smiling again............you'll too..........

My 2cents......

#3 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 6:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Jerry, are you free skiing or in the course? Get your video together -- any video. You don't have to have a cinematic work of art together to be able to learn a ton in your virtual coaching session.

Snow is dead on -- the free skiing will teach you what the rhythm is with the boat. It sounds like you have some pretty hard core tunnel vision @ the gates & at 1, which is going to give you a wheelie/slack sensation every time.

The virtual coaching sessions are pretty in-depth - atleast 400 words for the first coach's comment. Definitely worth the money to reduce the frustration IMO!

Also read Rossi's Tip to Rip and Keys to Slalom Gates if you haven't already.

#4 Wed, Aug 19, 2009 6:54 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge

Free skiing only. Skied course only twice ( ran 15 off 2nd try with gates, i have the video of it). My turn are actually better i think in the course.

I will upload the videos tonight. How do you load them do you have to use you tube ? or just attach them ...please clarify this. Thanks.

I am very demanding on myself in terms of performance it has positive and negative. I am open to coaching and have a pretty good perception of what is happenning on the ski....i need more knowledge. I am buying a lesson with you tonight.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

Board footer