Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 9:01 PM

johannesheine

Ski Vest with max protection

I recently got slammed hard when my ski lost contact with then water after the 2nd wake and approaching the buoy. Unfortunately my vest lacked side-padding from mid-chest upwards which resulted in badly bruised ribs.
To avoid a repeat I want to buy a vest that's offering maximum padding/protection of the whole rib cage, even if it restricts movement somewhat - the latter being preferrable to a forced convalescence pause of a month or two.
Thanks ofor all suggestions!

#2 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 9:39 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ski Vest with max protection

This is an interesting subject, since I've taken big falls right at the wake and after the second wake as well, OTF.

I'm always looking into buying a non approved vest (cool looking, not bulking,etc) but as I look into those vests they're so thin with barely any padding.... that makes me wonder how safe am I in these situations??
I also noticed that the USCG vests varies in thickness, I looked around a lot before I commited to my last vest (1years ago) I bought the thinnest vest I could find but USCG approved.

Is your vest USCG approved or not?

Just wondering if the thicker padding provides us with a better protection.

What are your thoughts?

#3 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 10:11 PM

johannesheine

It's non-USCG O'Neill vest, cool looking but flimsy.
However, many USCG vests I found are pretty well padded in the front, but the side (which is where you'll feel the impact most) padding doesn't reach higher up on the rib cage - which is exactly where I got hit.

#4 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 10:50 PM

snow1122

I hear you, the non-USCG vests are very nice looking but very flimsy. Have you seen the new HO vests with no zippers that you slip over your head, barely any padding, but looks cool!

I've a Body Glove USCG approved but padded all the way throught even the sides but like I said before this particular vest is thinner and very different than the regular USCG vests out there, at least from what I compared when I was looking for one to buy.
I've experienced thousands of falls, at the wake and after the second wake, OTF'S, slammed on the side of my face, etc. Maybe is just luck......

This is keeping me from buying a non-USCG vest.

I know exactly what you're refering too, the USCG vests are so bulk in the front, but look out there I was able to find mine to be in between.

#5 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 11:27 PM

johannesheine

What's 'OTF'?

I checked around: best options seem to be
- O'Neill Hybrid USCG @ Overton's for $ 49.99
- Body Glove Men's Eco Prene USCG @ Amazon for $ 62-99,-.

I'll call someone @ Overton's to discuss - what I'm most concerned about is the strength of the side padding.

#6 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 11:28 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I know this will sound like a bunch of hog wash... But, I went to a very thin/light Non USCG that does have "some" pads. -Like a flak jacket and it has 1 strap. Because the typical HVY. padded  vest that I had,  fit very tight and did not save me from some bruised and separated ribs last summer...

The "hog wash" part is that I later realized;  -That my injuries were the result of NOT Enough upper body flexabilty due to the HVY. padding and the tight fit and something had to give... Unfortunately it was my ribs that were stretched and compremised...

For me, I'd rather have a lot of flexability and less padding. -So I can float like a butterfly and flop like a bee!big_smile

p.s. No more arm rashes either!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 11:43 PM

johannesheine

Yeah - with all due respect, that sounds to me more like magical thinking.
Imagine getting hit on the chest with a baseball bat (with is about the same experience as slamming on the surface after the 2nd wake):
what would protect you better - good padding with less flex, or flimsy padding with lots of flex?
But to each his own, whatever works for you.
After lying in the water for 30 seconds not being able to breathe I definitely opt for good padding.

#8 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 11:59 PM

snow1122

OTF is falling over the front of your ski. Not a pleasant fall.
Did many of those after the second wake.
Cracked/bruise ribs and busted ear drums are common......

#9 Sat, Aug 15, 2009 12:10 AM

johannesheine

just curious: how long did it take before you could ski/work out again after bruising your ribs?
Anything you did to speed up the healing process other than icing/NSAIDS?

#10 Sat, Aug 15, 2009 12:12 AM

johannesheine

I forgot: exactly which body glove model are you using? You didn't get hurt since using that one?

#11 Sat, Aug 15, 2009 1:20 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

+1 for Body Glove.  I was between the Eco and Matrix, and the panelling of the Matrix just fit better (they run very large). The interior velcro belt is a nice touch. Good protection, and not too restrictive for a USCG.
I wanted a USCG approved because I busted a rib early in the season covering the boat while on a trailer...my feet slipped off the trailer while leaning over bow, and chest bounced off the bow rail, busting rib.  Six weeks later, I would still wake up in pain in middle of night from sleeping on belly.  Ribs seem to take forever to heal.
Another reason I go USCG is that (for whatever reason) I sink like cinderblock in water and Comp vest do little to float me.

Last edited by davemac (Sat, Aug 15, 2009 1:23 AM)

#12 Sat, Aug 15, 2009 1:46 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

johannesheine wrote:

Yeah - with all due respect, that sounds to me more like magical thinking.
Imagine getting hit on the chest with a baseball bat (with is about the same experience as slamming on the surface after the 2nd wake):
what would protect you better - good padding with less flex, or flimsy padding with lots of flex?
But to each his own, whatever works for you.
After lying in the water for 30 seconds not being able to breathe I definitely opt for good padding.

Pleeeeze keep us posted if you can find a silver bullet vest that does it all!!!

I had 2 hard falls both resulting in rib injuries with the HVY. padded vest and so far, 0 injuries or even slight soreness with the non USCG flak...

Those 2 falls gave me about 6 wk's a piece to think "magically" about it.wink

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#13 Sat, Aug 15, 2009 3:45 PM

johannesheine

So you had serious falls in the light vest, hitting the water with your upper body in a quite stretched out position, resulting in no injuries at all?

#14 Sun, Aug 16, 2009 1:49 AM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge

I hear you, I broke 3 ribs 2 years in a row with coat guard apporoved vest. I bought a o'neil vapor and i have take a worst fall a couple weeks ago with no injury....and beleive me it was a good hard one. The flexibility issue is right on,  my vest has rib protection and fits tight but is very flexible and follows my body in a crash. My old vest looks well padded but the pads were so rigid and bulky that it compress more my ribs than protect them in a fall. I don't know if they still make  it but it is a good vest. I think they make a new one with a zipper now .

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#15 Sun, Aug 16, 2009 3:17 AM

johannesheine

tks h20dawg + jerrysnow - you have me 75% convinced.
guess the optimal protection comes with good shock absorbing padding combined with good flexibility.

#16 Sun, Aug 16, 2009 1:03 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

I believe the ribs are meant to be very flexable and expansive. (this fact is exploited with a typical rib injury, -sneezing and coughing...) I'm thinking that during a hard fall, although the "impact" is certainly the main factor. The impact can also be inhanced by an Elbow or forearm that gets jacked into the rib upon impact or as in my case the body's inability to twist/bend in a natural manner upon impact. As, the ribs are flexable and expansive and naturally allow for the body to be contorted. I believe my old vest actually prohibited my body's natural movement...

My tipping point was one time I was sitting sideways on my Sea Doo with my old vest on and I simply leaned over fwd. to pick something up down by my feet. Because of the bulk of the vest it was just a little bit farther then I could comfortly reach. So, I stretched down just a tiny bit more and felt a weird twenge in my rib and then got some strange spasm type pain that lasted about 3 hrs... yikes -By that point, I had already suspected the vest anyway so, that was it for me!!!smile

I would think that if a vest did not allow one to bend over fairly easily or allow one to do a sit up or hanging leg raise. Then it probably wounldn't allow the body to contort naturally either...

I can sure sympathize with anyone having a rib type injury...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, Aug 16, 2009 1:04 PM)

#17 Mon, Aug 17, 2009 2:18 PM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario

USCG doesn't mean more padding or more protection, it means more boyancy.

IMO the best protection comes from the impact vests which are generally not approved.  Some of the wakeboard vests offer great protection & the crashes are horrific compared to slalom.

however, finding some that have side protection is difficult.  have seen some good size entry impact vests and some of the pullovers look good as well.

my 2 cents.

Last edited by Killer (Tue, Aug 18, 2009 1:27 PM)

Board footer