Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 3:36 PM

RuralHack

Here are the directions for a backwards start...

I can teach you a heap of slalom ski tricks to keep your skiing fresh.

-----------------------------------------

The backwards start is not that hard. In essence it is like getting up forward but with your eyes closed. We have all gotten up forwards so many times it's just natural. A backwards start, with a good driver, starts to feel pretty natural too. Getting up backwards is just a trick.

If you know the directions to the trick --the trick is easy.

First, act like you are going to start going forward.
Put the rope on the wrong side of the ski.
Now, while keeping your ski on the same plane, spin backwards.
Get into a balanced position by getting ready to put your free hand on the handle.

Dropping your head and grabbing the handle is the signal to the driver to giddy-up. Have your driver pull you up like a double skier. The driver can catch you. The driver can help you get up. The driver must pull you up straight. The driver must build you a platform to turn back around on. I tell a competent driver to pull me up to trick ski speed. Drivers are half of this trick. I have fun driving this trick too.

Getting back to the skiers part of the backwards start: Once the boat starts pulling, start blowing air out of your nose, you'll know why. Rest your body on your knees with your hands by your feet. Just like getting up forward; you are just holding on and riding. Once you start to plane out; look to the horizon for balance and continue raising that handle: it will already be going up. Turning back to front is the easiest part. Your ski is designed to go the other way. Just let go with one hand. Presto, you did a backwards start.

Personally, I grip a normal slalom ski handle with a couple fingers on each side of the handle so I can get it around my rear. I can ride around backwards for awhile. A wider handle or grip like mine makes it easier to ride around backwards. But please, do not attempt to ride around backwards very long at first, just do the trick.   

Backwards starts are not that hard. If you can get up with your eyes closed going forward: you can get up on your ski going backwards. After that, you just let the ski flip around. Your ski wants to turn around. You just stand there and it flips around. When you get this far in the trick and you fall you will be mad; you'll think you will never miss this part again. Trust me and give it a go.

Print this out for you and and your driver.  Let me know how you guys did. I will keep making this post better and better until someone gets it. Check it for updates.

After someone makes the backwards start: I will do my best to deliver another slalom ski trick. A Sideslide, I think. Tumble turns are easy too. Never mind; just make the trick.

Who is going to be the first to make the backwards start? Everything you need to make it is here. You never can have too much fun on a ski. Are there any adaptable skiers out there? Make me proud. Inspire me. I love skiing.

If you do not fall: You are not learning anything; life included.

Arc-it or Park-it.

Love ya,

RuralHack /|\

Last edited by RuralHack (Sun, Aug 16, 2009 3:49 AM)

Grew up at a ski school; started teaching old men like me at around 8 years old... I was a better teacher than my coach so I got to ski more if I taught them. wink

#2 Tue, Sep 15, 2009 1:18 PM

h20fish

Re: Here are the directions for a backwards start...

going to try it this weekend. Is the tumble up and backwards start similar to doing it on the trick ski, Because the trick is very easy, managed to do both 1st time.

#3 Tue, Sep 15, 2009 8:24 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

i tried to barefoot ski a couple of weekends ago and did the deepwater start. i got so much water in my head that the pressure kept building and building until the pain was so bad i had to go to the hospital and get sedated. im no pansy trust me, and that was the worst pain in my entire life. my eardrums almost burst and i still have problems hearing and have ear aches from time to time. i guess what im saying is do you have to drag underwater for long because i dont want to repeat that

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#4 Tue, Sep 15, 2009 8:46 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Hi Phil,

Couple of things to help clear your sinus. Get a sinus rinse called netty pot or a kit from Costco or any other pharmacy, is called Neil Med, this is a great thing after barefooting or if you have a cold. It cleans your sinus like nothing else! that pressure goes way.
Next time you try barefooting hold your breath and exhale as the boat takes off until you're on top of the water keep on exhaling.
I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience:o( feel better!

Snow

Board footer