Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 3:55 AM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

open water skiing speed and rope lenght

hi guys,

i don't have acces to a course so I only free ski. I have tried different speed and line lenght and feel the best at 32 off 34 mph. I also do a bit of 15 off and 22 just to remember how it feels in case i do have a chance to ski a course(only once a year).  I ski behind my malibu sporster 2003 with stargazer ( anybody can drive me now a ski saver for me) and found that the wake is acually easier to cross at 32 off. I also ski behind my friend x7 and this boat is definetely a 32 off or shorter boat.  I feel my body alingment and tempo is better at a shorter rope....any downside of free skiing only at 32 off ? I gave a shot at 39.5 off you guys are crazy...you only pull a second and you end up 90 degree with the boat ....definetly an interesting feeling.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#2 Wed, Aug 12, 2009 4:01 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: open water skiing speed and rope lenght

haha, Jerry great to hear from ya. I wouldn't worry too much about free skiing it at 32 as long as your body can handle it. As i'm sure you noticed, the shorter you go, the faster things start to happen. So if you can ski in control with great body position at 32 off, by all means go for it. When you go back to the course, I would say 22 would be a makable line length for you if you've been skiing efficiently at 32 off.

The only caveat is you have to be mindful of your width. If you're jumping up to 32, you're probably going to be much more narrow then what you would at the longer line lengths. If you ski really narrow, you won't give yourself enough time to ski away from the handle and complete an efficient turn before the boat pulls you again (what makes skiing a shorter rope hard).

Just be sure to ski within your ability level -- no one likes time off the water!

#3 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 2:17 PM

RuralHack

Hey jerry, you may think this is crazy but here we go...

Skiing is really just standing there making little movements with your body in order to enact turns. Try closing your eyes and linking turns together out there on the open water and you will become more aware of what I am saying. Arc-it or Park-it brother...

For me, on open water, tournament boats have two rope lengths; 28off if I want some wake; 32off if I do not want some wake.

Last edited by RuralHack (Thu, Aug 13, 2009 6:50 PM)

Grew up at a ski school; started teaching old men like me at around 8 years old... I was a better teacher than my coach so I got to ski more if I taught them. wink

#4 Thu, Aug 13, 2009 8:48 PM

jerrysnow

Definitly arc it. I was just curious to see what Wade or Chris opinion was on that. It is very difficult to judge my level only free skiing. I am a alpine racer trying to figure out waterskiing. I coach and train people ( as a parent and friend) but when i ski i want to give the best exemple. I only skied the course 2 set ( once a year, the last 2 year) and was plenty wide but geeting that entry gate gave me problem....after that it made good picture.

I convert 3 kids from wakeboard to ski in the last 3 summers and they are putting pressure to put a sinking or portable course on the lake so there is some hope.  I can ski on a course but it is not a relax atmosphere...I pay,  they give me the handle and I have those 4-5 kid from the competition club watching me and hoping i do it fast...I like to take my time relax and have time to learn from my mistake. 

I video myself almost everytime I ski....not always a good thing when you watch it afterwards but the camera don't lie. It helps a lot to see if I am actually doing better.....but i think the course is the real test when you get comfortable with the routine of it.

#5 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 1:23 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Jerry - Do yourself a favor and pick up a virtual lesson from me or from Chris Rossi Himself -- If you video yourself all the time, you should have plenty of 'stock' to upload to your computer.

If you need help getting all that video onto the internets, let me know.

Definitely not the best thing to video every time but it would be a positive experience to get a lesson from one of us.

#6 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 2:20 AM

jerrysnow

hey Wade this is my next move. I will get good video this weekend and give you a shout next week. I am not happy with the quality a footage I have.  what kind of view do you prefer close up or from father away?

Board footer