Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Aug 11, 2009 3:15 AM

Boody38

How important is a level head?

You can take the top 10 skiers in this sport and you will see all different forms and styles.  Yet, they all seem to have a perfectly level head, to the point it looks wierd.  You go to a class c tournament and hardly anyone has a level head.  There must be something to it but you never hear coaches or pros discuss this.  Is this an under rated tip that is essential for great skiers?

#2 Tue, Aug 11, 2009 12:44 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: How important is a level head?

I'm no expert. But, I will say as in the example of "doing a flip" -your body follows your head... (you can not intentionally flip without 1st tucking your head.)
OTF's are much the same way.

If you've ever had any back problems and had to go to the Chiropractor, you will normally have one series of muscles that are tight and "knotted up" and another opposing group that is stretched and "lengthened" the rest of the muscles react automatically to realign (Level) your head. -In the mirror, your back and/or shoulders might look like 5 miles of Bad road, But your head will remain Level... (it's a natural thing)

Therefore, a Level head would obviously be the foundation for any hope of great form.

I know years ago, I just skied instinctively and naturally had a very level head. Now, that I'm trying to get back into it, I've found that the more I "TRY" to "DO" all things slalom the less instinctively I ski... The result seems to be a very mechanical and forced style that forces my head to follow all the technical crap floating around in my head instead of Relaxing, casually staring down the pylon and letting the body flow...

The Pro's excel at relaxing and letting the mind and body flow... (probably true in all sports...)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 4:32 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

H2Odawg...  You bring up a very good point... The more relaxed we are, the looser we are which means the more apt we are to keep things alligned...  The harder we pull and the more we try to catch up the more movement we have... 

Stay slow and early and we will stay level and early!

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#4 Fri, Aug 14, 2009 4:22 PM

buddy
Foot Forward: Right

It's helped me in my turns.  After I learned to keep my head up and level and look down course in the turn, it helps keep my outside shoulder back and I'm not getting dumped in the turns as much as I used to.

#5 Mon, Aug 17, 2009 2:03 PM

ChrisRossi

Level head = better balance.  We want as much balance as we can, so the head and more importantly, your vision want to be level to the waters surface.

#6 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 4:01 PM

steves

Hello, I'm able to run smooth and early 28 off passes and have run 32 off before, however this season I have not been able to run a single 32. I usually get a nasty hit at 1. I'm rt foot forward. Early in the season I used an incremental rope and ran numerous 30 offs. I get to mean green and fall apart. Any suggestions would be great, thank you.

#7 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 4:14 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Key To Slalom Gate:  http://www.proskicoach.com/slalom_artic … lom_gates/

Balanced Approach:  http://www.proskicoach.com/slalom_artic … _approach/

Why I Feel Fast Into Buoys:  http://www.proskicoach.com/slalom_artic … nto_buoys/

If the previous pass is easy, and buoy 1 is the wall on the next pass, I can confidently guess that something is going on with your gates. Because you are a righty, I would expect that you are ramping up your effort and pulling harder. "Why I Feel Fast Into Buoys" addresses why this is causing your slack hits.

Last edited by HO 410 (Tue, Oct 27, 2009 4:15 PM)

#8 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 5:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

If your head isn't level then I'm not sure what you're looking at. I think the main reason that you see most of the top skier's head level is because they are using their vision / horizon to stay balanced. If your looking at things on a diagonal it's not going to be as easy to ski in control.

Board footer